PDA

View Full Version : Three Apprentice Riders Really Tearing It Up

Turfday
05-15-2006, 12:22 AM
There are three very impressive apprentice riders doing great things on their respective circuits...Martin Garcia (was in No. California, now in So. California), Julien Leparoux in Kentucky and Luis V. Martinez in No. California.

Just this past week, Garcia re-located his tack to So. California, so look for Martinez to pick up some of his mounts from trainers wanting to take the weight at Bay Meadows.

Based on a good sample size of minimum 500 mounts in the last 1,095 calendar days (May 13, 2003-May 13, 2006), and searching my database for the “combined” factor (Consistency + Value), Martin Garcia (.413) and Julien Leparoux (.396) are the nation’s top top riders based on my Betting Value Average formula.

Now, granted, Garcia wasn’t riding against the kind of jockey colony Leparoux has been. So Leparoux’s average odds per mount has been higher and that also accounts for his lower in the money pct. against better competition and likely bigger fields.

Here are some comparative stats on all three. The first set of odds included is “average odds per mount” and the second set of odds is “average odds per winner.”

Garcia, Martin

734 mounts 5/1 196 wins 27% 5/2 64% itm

Leparoux, Julien R.

879 mounts 7/1 231 wins 26% 3/1 56% itm

Martinez, Luis

627 mounts 18/1 86 wins 14% 7/1 45% itm

Without handicapping, based on a $2 flat-win bet, Garcia’s mounts have shown approximately a - $96 flat-bet loss; Leparoux’s mounts have shown approximately a + $90 flat-bet profit; Martinez’ mounts have shown approximately a + $122 flat-bet profit (and note that Martinez is hardly getting the “cream of the crop” with his mounts averaging 18/1 odds).

John
05-15-2006, 08:37 AM
INIERESTING.

I play Churchill Downs a lot. Leparoux rides very well. But, what happens once they lose the bug. It seems like trainers avoid them for some other Bug rider. Is the weight off that important to trainers

saratoga guy
05-15-2006, 09:10 AM
You left off Rosie Napravnik in Maryland. Currently sitting at #4 on the national win list (Leparoux and Garcia are 1-2).

Valuist
05-15-2006, 09:43 AM
I think Leparoux went to Kentucky at the right time. Day and Sellers retired. Gary Stevens, who a year ago said KY would be his new riding base, is also retired. But I agree w/John. We'll see how business goes when they lose the apprentice weight allowance.

My prediction: 2 of the above 4 will be successful journeyman (or shall I say in this case, journeyperson?) and the other two will fall into obscurity.

Turfday
05-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Actually, according to my formula and ratings, which incorporate closing odds, field size, wins and in-the-money finishes, and a "rolling average" time line which gives more credit for "what have you done for me lately," Napravanik is ranked 17th in the nation right now even though she's ridden more winners than Garcia and Leparoux and a lot more winners than Martinez.

She's also ridden a lot more horses (1,096) in the last 1,095 calendar days than any of them, especially Martinez.

dancingbrave
05-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Leparoux looks a very accomplished rider and should get many good rides once he loses his claim ...... if the trainers have any sense.

freehouse2002
05-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Luis Martinez really tore it up at BM this weekend. He must've won about a 10 races Fri-Sun. Martin Garcia started with a couple of wins on Friday night at HP. It's nice to see that there are many up and coming apprentice riders, as the jockey colony here in Cali has greatly deteriorated.

freehouse2002

toetoe
05-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Turf,

I love Leparoux, but you may be slightly overestimating the Ky. jockeys. Except during the short Keeneland meet, the top jockeys are elsewhere, aren't they?

I'd put L.V. Martinez, Russell Baze, Dennis Carr and David Lopez up against Robbie Albarado ( :bang: ), Calvin Borel, J. Castanon and B. J. Hernandez, et alia, any day. Where did JLep ride before Turfway Park? I know he was in New York for a while. I suppose he rode at Gulfstream?

Turfday
05-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Boy, I'll bet he and his agent threw a "going away" party for Martin Garcia and bought them the plane tickets to boot !

He won four races last Friday all at good prices and he's started to ride for trainer Lloyd Mason. Big thumbs up.

Stillriledup
02-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Leparoux looks a very accomplished rider and should get many good rides once he loses his claim ...... if the trainers have any sense.

4 years later, you were proven right. :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
JULIAN certainly doesn't make any mistakes. at times i would like to see him get a bit more agressive.

i see that DOMINGEZ is first call rider for ASSMUSSEN in new york these days. i know they would love to have him as first call all over, but i don't think that ramon wants to move away from new york.