PDA

View Full Version : Prediction

Tom Barrister
05-10-2006, 05:23 PM
I hope I'm wrong, because I'd like to see a Triple Crown winner, but this is how it looks like it will go down.

Barbaro wins the Preakness by 10 lengths without being asked.

Everybody gets excited for three weeks.

Barbaro gets beat in the Belmont over an off track by some 25-1 shot who wasn't in either of other two Triple Crown races and was entered as an afterthought to fill out a short field in the hopes of picking up a minor check. And of course, the 25-1 shot will fade into mediocrity thereafter.

Barbaro retires to stud two weeks later.

Ron
05-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Wow, you got balls, or at least Stevie Belmont thinks you do. You're really going out on a limb there...something similar has happened 3 of of the last 4 years. My prediction is that, although I like Prado and Barbaro, he goes down in 10 days and doesn't bother running in the Belmont.

dccprez
05-16-2006, 12:53 PM
...something similar has happened 3 of of the last 4 years. My prediction is that, although I like Prado and Barbaro, he goes down in 10 days and doesn't bother running in the Belmont.

Hear, hear. As good as Barbaro looked this scenario makes sense. Unlike SmartyJ or FunnyCide or War Emblem Barbaro lacks the base that these guys had. Cutting his "standard" 5-week vacation down to two weeks could prove his undoing. Hope I am wrong...

JPinMaryland
05-16-2006, 04:58 PM
The pace is going to be much quicker in the Preakness and he will not win by open lengths. he might not win at all, but the ten lengths thing is just going overboard.

If you think about it, there are few if any horses who could throw back to back large winning margins. Count Fleet is one, I think.

Doc
05-17-2006, 10:22 AM
This year's Preakness kinda reminds me of 2000, when Fusaichi Pegasus seemed like a lock going to Baltimore and facing a small field. But he went down to Red Bullet in a lackluster performance...I think the short 2-week break for Barbaro could be his undoing.

toetoe
05-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Look, we're lovers of racing, right? Why should we all of a sudden be subsumed by the "Look at the pretty horsey" set just because it's Triple Crown time? May the best horse win every race. If someone has a gigantic future bet on Barbaro, fine. Root like mad. If the connections have become your favorites, fine. But to root just to have a TC winner? It rings hollow to me, this cheerleading. What if BD won the next two? We could concoct a "fair" scenario wherein he won the KD, and then the TC. Same thing with any horse, if he won the next two. Didn't run at all in the KD? No problem. Go to the "what if" pipedream. Tried and true. I can argue that a TC winner proves that a crop is WEAKER than average. God, look at the attrition coming into the second leg. Lately the Preakness has come up short and thin, maybe flattering the admittedly fine wins by FC, SJ and AA. Maybe the Reproductive Syndrome will be affecting crops for a while longer. :)

Wiley
05-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Toe,
I don't think it is so much the hardcore racing fan falling head over heels in love with a horse after a nice Derby win just because the TC is then a possibility. I think most hardcore fans would just like to have a legitimate great horse racing and continue racing not shut them down after a short career - just look at the thread of what to do with Barbaro the rest of the year - TC, Travers, Arc, BC turf, Classic - how often does a fan even get to dream of a possible scenerio for a horse? How about never in the last 25 years in the US at least. I find it funny all of the years that the general public has clamored for a hero and tried to make hero's out of the less than worthy types like Real Quiet, FunnyCide, Smarty Jones, War Emblem etc. just because they won two legs of the Triple Crown.

Barbaro to me looks legit and should accomplish the task. He is definitely built for the Belmont solid 17 hands in the vein of Risen Star and Easy Goer he should destroy any of these there but the Preakness could be a tussle with better trips for BD and SNS and tight turns though I don't think either is in Barbaro's league. I don't think the two weeks between races will be his undoing. BD and SNS are in the same boat if you consider them the main contenders they have never raced in two weeks after a tough race either so this is a wash. Barbaro is definitely on the underside of the form cycle and physically should be able to handle a tighter training schedule, hell it was reported on Derby morning on a mile gallop he accidently got hooked up with another horse and worked a half mile on the day of the derby! and still finished the fastest winning last quarter in the Derby since big Red, this after being on a relatively hot pace.

It is still a horse race though and many things can happen that could kill Barbaro's chances another reason the TC is so hard to win. It would be fun to see Discreet Cat and Barbaro hook up in the Travers both undefeated! Then again in the Arc and Classic to settle the score. I could be wrong on all of this and as Toe mentions maybe my judgement is being swayed by a pretty horse and a legitimate shot at the TC!

On the FuPeg comparison,
IMHO FuPeg was a more delicate type, always ran with those front bandages and freaky acting in works though a nice win in his Derby throwing a clunker in seemed reasonable for him and Red Bullet did run a big race. Too bad Showing Up could not put in another race other than the Derby and come into the Preakness, thought he ran a big race in the Derby but was short for it (similar to the Red Bullet year when Strounach waited for the Preakness with RB) and he could have been a tough customer for Barbaro on that schedule instead of his gallant try in the Derby.

toetoe
05-17-2006, 03:14 PM
I agree. We need fresh infusions of talent, a la Wajima, Java Gold, Red Bullet, Coastal. The horses are so lightly raced and far between these days. It's a shame. This is still a deep crop, and I can only imagine how good the Preakness would be if LR, SinMin, Showing Up and Keyed Entry skipped the KD and waited for it. I guess I'm disproving my own point, but Barbaro could win the TC in the strongest year in some time, and still get off relatively easy because so many wanted to taste juleps. If he wins, it will be in a year tons stronger than Seattle Slew's. At least this year the injuries have seemingly been few. (Knock head on wood. :bang: )

Bubbles
05-17-2006, 03:42 PM
I agree that the Preakness will be the toughest of the next two legs. This horse should do well in the Belmont, unlike horses whose endurance has been a question mark.

This Saturday, Barbaro may need to work for a good trip, something he's never done before. I'm not worried about SNS, Desormeaux said he had simply no horse left in the stretch. BD is the main obstacle. We shall see in three days.

WINMANWIN
05-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Barbaro's Trainer said he's concerned with the Preakness, He's not too worried with the Belmont. They had a Triple Crown in mind with this horse.
They're confident.

Light
05-17-2006, 05:03 PM
..I think the short 2-week break for Barbaro could be his undoing.

This is a big factor. This horse has never raced without at least 1 month in between races. I have repeatedly seen odds on horses go down as a result of nothing else but this factor.

Tom
05-17-2006, 06:50 PM
This is funny - not saying I agree or not, but two weeks ago, the big topic of conversation was Barbaro not having raced in 5 weeks. This week, it is about him having raced in 2 weeks.

LemonSoupKid
05-17-2006, 06:51 PM
I agree that the Preakness will be the toughest of the next two legs. This horse should do well in the Belmont, unlike horses whose endurance has been a question mark.

This Saturday, Barbaro may need to work for a good trip, something he's never done before. I'm not worried about SNS, Desormeaux said he had simply no horse left in the stretch. BD is the main obstacle. We shall see in three days.

Don't count the sweet one out just yet ...

Soup

michiken
05-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Being an Early Presser, Barbaro has a target a mile wide on his head.

Could the jockeys gang up and press him the way they did to Smart Jones in the Belmont?

46zilzal
05-17-2006, 07:57 PM

only an early/presser by position, not energy distribution. ran as a presser the race before the FLA Derby. Most other lines sustained or LATE on the grass.

kev
05-17-2006, 09:26 PM
If your going to beat the Derby winner now is the time and I'll try with LIKE NOW and hope he runs his azz off.

Tote Master
05-17-2006, 11:28 PM
I just stopped by to see what the so-called handicappers were saying about perhaps the best horse in the last 10 years to have real shot at the Triple Crown, and I find the following nonsense:
Tom Barrister’s prediction
Barbaro gets beat in the Belmont over an off track by some 25-1 shot who wasn't in either of other two Triple Crown races and was entered as an afterthought to fill out a short field in the hopes of picking up a minor check. And of course, the 25-1 shot will fade into mediocrity thereafter.Perhaps TomB you should open your eyes the next time you read the form. Barbaro has won at how many different racetracks, and on how many different racing surfaces (including an off track!)?? Do me a favor and play that 25/1 shot on Belmont Day!

dccprez
Hear, hear. As good as Barbaro looked this scenario makes sense. Unlike SmartyJ or FunnyCide or War Emblem Barbaro lacks the base that these guys had. Cutting his "standard" 5-week vacation down to two weeks could prove his undoing. Hope I am wrong... You will be wrong my friend! If Barbaro lacked the base, do you think for a minute it would have won the Derby? (And as easily as it did?)

JPinMaryland
The pace is going to be much quicker in the Preakness and he will not win by open lengths. he might not win at all, but the ten lengths thing is just going overboard.Perhaps you should take another look at where Barbaro was during that pace in the Derby. It wasn’t dawdling somewhere in the back of the pack. Barbaro might have even wired that field, if it hadn’t stumbled coming out of the gate!

Wiley
Barbaro to me looks legit and should accomplish the task. He is definitely built for the Belmont solid 17 hands in the vein of Risen Star and Easy Goer he should destroy any of these there but the Preakness could be a tussle with better trips for BD and SNS and tight turns though I don't think either is in Barbaro's league. I think your comments were very well put and I agree with most of them, but do you think that the tight turns on Laurel’s Turf course had any affect when Barbaro broke a track record for the distance? If I'm not mistaken, your quoted comment sounds very much like the predictions made before Pleasant Colony won the Preakness.

Tom
This is funny - not saying I agree or not, but two weeks ago, the big topic of conversation was Barbaro not having raced in 5 weeks. This week, it is about him having raced in 2 weeks. Absolutely! Since when is a 2-week layoff for a quality racehorse a problem?
Must be some new handicapping angle. :lol:

Michiken
Could the jockeys gang up and press him the way they did to Smart Jones in the Belmont?Anything that is in front of Barbaro will be its target! Please point out which closer is going to catch him after it takes the lead near the top of the stretch? By the way, by winning the Derby, Smarty Jones had already exceeded its lines of breeding. So now you believe it lost the Belmont because all the jockey’s ganged up on him? Give me a break. J Rose rode a piss poor race and should have never been that close to the pace, especially on an animal not bred to carry its speed that far.

46zilzal
only an early/presser by position, not energy distribution. ran as a presser the race before the FLA Derby. Most other lines sustained or LATE on the grass. Excellent Observation!

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how far-fetched or ridiculous it might be. Some will try to point at anything they can think of that will detract from a horse’s performance. In doing so they convince themselves that they've found some reason why a horse will lose, and completly forget about what the horse has actually accomplished. Many of these same people bet on another horse in the Derby and are probably still pissed off that they lost. Well I guess you know where my money was and my opinion about this horse. I'm the same guy that laughed at A. Beyer before the Belmont when he announced to the pre-race crowd the Slew would lose because he considered it to be "only a one-dimensional" speed horse."

I’m really surprised at the negativity on this thread and the lack of recognition of Barbaro’s accomplishments to date. Do you really think that you’ve already seen the best from this horse? So I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that I believe that this horse will not only win the TC, but in all likelihood become a grass champion as well. As much as I hate to see Seattle Slew’s record of being the only undefeated 3 year old TC winner being equaled, I believe only another great horse should do it. I find it kind of ironic though that Seattle Slew also stumbled badly in its Derby win. By the way those who feel Slew’s accomplishments were among lack luster competition should go back and take a peak at the fractions of its races in both the Derby and Preakness. Then start making some comparisons with some of the more recent TC hopefuls that failed.

I think that the only way Barbaro loses either of its next 2 races is by experiencing severe trouble during the race. Of course anything can happen in a horse race. I hope nothing does, and that we can all finally witness another great thoroughbred winning the Triple Crown!

So Best of Luck
..................................GO BARBARO!

46zilzal
05-17-2006, 11:47 PM
One of the fundamental reasons that there are few triple crown winners is that NOT only do you have to be good and durable, but you have to be LUCKY. Ask the connections of Riva Ridge, Silver Charm, Real Quiet, Canonero II, Genuine Risk, Charasmatic, Funny Cide, Smarty Jones, War Emblem, Point Given, Tobasco Cat, Swale, Tim Tam, Nashua, Northern Dancer, Native Dancer, Determined, Bold Forbes, Spectacular Bid, Hansel, Risen Star, Thunder Gulch, Pleasant Colony, Majestic Prince, Damascus, Carry Back, Forward Pass, Sunday Silence, Alysheba, Little Current, Kauai King etc. all of whom won 2/3's of the three.

A bump here, a sloppy track there, a thrush infection here, soreness there.....Tough to stay healthy and be good particularly against all the "fresh blood" that is out to get you.

KingChas
05-17-2006, 11:59 PM
This is funny - not saying I agree or not, but two weeks ago, the big topic of conversation was Barbaro not having raced in 5 weeks. This week, it is about him having raced in 2 weeks.

Wait until next week if Barbaro wins. ;) You might see a return thread from this poster (Not I) in 2004.

"NO race over the Belmont strip --AGAIN!!
Well once again history has proven very hard to outrun. Why would anyone think that Smarty could do something never accomplished in the history of thoroughbred racing. EVERY T/C WINNER HAS HAD A PREVIOUS RACE OVER THE BELMONT STRIP !!!! SMARTY DIDN'T !!!!"

Can't wait........... :lol:

Ron
05-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Wait until next week if Barbaro wins. ;) You might see a return thread from this poster (Not I) in 2004.

Well once again history has proven very hard to outrun. Why would anyone think that Smarty could do something never accomplished in the history of thoroughbred racing. EVERY T/C WINNER HAS HAD A PREVIOUS RACE OVER THE BELMONT STRIP !!!! SMARTY DIDN'T !!!!"

That's why they run the races.

KingChas
05-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Hey Tom maybe if Barbaro wins Preakness he can run in a cheap overnite condition race as a PMO at Belmont to get one over the surface! :eek: :lol:

JohnNUtah
05-18-2006, 12:16 AM
The clarion call this year before the derby against Barbaro was that NO horse with Raise A Native on the dam side had ever won the Derby. LOL, what a joke.

How many Triple Crown winners broke their maiden on turf? A race at Belmont? So what? For that matter, how many of them had won as many races at as many different tracks and so many different surfaces/conditions.

I am just basically saying this horse looks like a freak to me, kinda like the Slew, as far as the heart and results go.

Comparing this horse to Smarty Jones is a bad joke.

I sincerely hope this one stays around and switches to turf for the rest of his career, lets say starting with the BC Mile this fall?

toetoe
05-18-2006, 01:07 AM
Bubs,

By all means throw out 'Saint strictly on the "Desormeaux rides" factor. That guy makes me chew my nails every time. However, do NOT handicap based on his statement as to what he thought he "had." God, he's a worse handicapper than he is a big-time, wake-up-and-make-the-workout, ride-past-the-finish-line jockey. Hey, I think I just talked MYSELF off of 'Saint. :)

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2006, 04:47 AM
I think the people tripping over themselves to crown this horse King, and the people tripping over themselves searching for reasons why he might lose, are both rather silly and amusing.

Right now all I see is a Kentucky Derby winner with lots of potential.

And I refuse to give up on Sweetnorthernsaint off of one bad Derby race. Holy Bull got his ass kicked in the Derby once too you know....

Overlay
05-18-2006, 05:06 AM
One of the fundamental reasons that there are few triple crown winners is that NOT only do you have to be good and durable, but you have to be LUCKY. Ask the connections of Riva Ridge, Silver Charm, Real Quiet, Canonero II, Genuine Risk, Charasmatic, Funny Cide, Smarty Jones, War Emblem, Point Given, Tobasco Cat, Swale, Tim Tam, Nashua, Northern Dancer, Native Dancer, Determined, Bold Forbes, Spectacular Bid, Hansel, Risen Star, Thunder Gulch, Pleasant Colony, Majestic Prince, Damascus, Carry Back, Forward Pass, Sunday Silence, Alysheba, Little Current, Kauai King etc. all of whom won 2/3's of the three.

A bump here, a sloppy track there, a thrush infection here, soreness there.....Tough to stay healthy and be good particularly against all the "fresh blood" that is out to get you.

One member of your (I believe) otherwise correct list above won only one of the races. Perhaps you're crediting Genuine Risk with a victory in the Preakness, but she was defeated by Codex with Cordero aboard (who was criticized in the Form for his "rodeo" riding tactics, if I recall correctly), and she then lost to Temperence Hill in the Belmont. However, she did finish in the money in all three.

Your main point is certainly undisputed. It takes a special horse to win all three. I was thinking the other day about how all three Triple Crown winners from the '70's had an extraordinary aspect or angle associated with their stories. Secretariat became the first Triple Crown winner in twenty-five years with his unbelievable victory in the Belmont, Seattle Slew was undefeated, and Affirmed had his rivalry with Alydar. I know it would probably have also been possible to recall or find an angle of that type for each of the above near-misses. But with Barbaro being undefeated, along with the authoritative manner in which he won the Derby, and the fact of no Triple Crown winner since 1978, perhaps the drought will end this year.

KingChas
05-18-2006, 08:35 AM

Well once again history has proven very hard to outrun. Why would anyone think that a horse could do something never accomplished in the history of thoroughbred racing. EVERY T/C WINNER HAS HAD A PREVIOUS RACE OVER THE BELMONT STRIP !!!! !!!!"

JohnNUtah
"Comparing this horse to Smarty Jones is a bad joke."

Johnny did you read the prevoius thread of Tom on the question of time between races for Barbaro?I was simply stating that until a horse wins the triple crown the "Naysayers" will abound.If a horse does win the TC they will still abound (comparison between other TC winners).It is tough reading written words here and not talking in person.Alot of us are guilty of overreading and misinterpeting a post (Myself Included).If I was comparing Smarty to Barbaro I would start a new thread stating that.Never happen ;)

Ps; I took the bad joke name out of above quote......OK :rolleyes:

"PA-Right now all I see is a Kentucky Derby winner with lots of potential."
Agree with this statement 100%

dccprez
05-18-2006, 10:04 AM
You will be wrong my friend! If Barbaro lacked the base, do you think for a minute it would have won the Derby? (And as easily as it did?)

Tote - I think I may have written my post poorly because I was trying to emphasize the fact that all of B's races have been space at 5 weeks or thereabouts which means that turning around and running in only 2 weeks mat be a diffcult task. You're right, "base" may not be a factor, but a quick return may be just enough to throw him off.

Frankly I would like him to win and to win the TC.

KingChas
05-18-2006, 11:02 AM
PaceAdvantage"I think the people tripping over themselves to crown this horse King, and the people tripping over themselves searching for reasons why he might lose, are both rather silly and amusing."

:eek:
PA this statement from you shocks me.This has been going on after the Kentucky Derby every year since everyone here has been in diapers.That's why they are called the Triple Crown Races.Have fun with the banter. We should all enjoy it while we can.Being a little bit of a party pooper aren't we? :D

KingChas
05-18-2006, 11:13 AM
"That's why they are called the Triple Crown Races."

Please don't reply I'm insulting your intelligence.Just Bustin :D

JustRalph
05-18-2006, 11:30 AM
It was one race. I can't believe the people who want to anoint this horse after just one big race............

46zilzal
05-18-2006, 11:54 AM
One member of your (I believe) otherwise correct list above won only one of the races. Perhaps you're crediting Genuine Risk with a victory in the Preakness, but she was defeated by Codex with Cordero aboard (
having just watched all three of those contests before I wrote this she had the worst luck in losing the last two as this post was about reasons why the best did not win. It was the tradition of never disqualifying a winner of the Preakness that kept Codex the winner and not logic.

dccprez
05-18-2006, 12:02 PM
It was one race. I can't believe the people who want to anoint this horse after just one big race............

Let people enjoy themselves and "anoint" as they see fit. Racing needs MORE fans so let people rally around whatever they choose and hopefully a few of them stick around after the TC races are done.

KingChas
05-18-2006, 12:48 PM

"The Greatest Two Minutes In Sports"

Just one big race? :faint: :faint: :faint:

BeatTheChalk
05-18-2006, 01:07 PM
1. Almost all Turf Runners .. go Sustained.
2. I would like to know how he ran in his Dirt races.
3. I saw a close up Picture of this guy ..He looks HUGE ! His face and
neck ..dare I say the word ""Freakish ? "

JustRalph
05-18-2006, 01:15 PM
"The Greatest Two Minutes In Sports"

Just one big race? :faint: :faint: :faint:

I don't discount the Derby, but it is just one race. A big performance, yes. The next morning I saw no less than three writers on the web spouting about what a special horse this was. In just 24 hours 2 came out and said that this horse would win the Triple Crown. The web I think contributes to this. They can sit down and whip out an article and email it to an editor who has it posted on the web in a matter of minutes. They are all caught up in the "big performance" they slap the keys with glee in anointing a new superstar. Let's face it. The writers make the stars. They can also break them.

He has run 2 big races in 13 weeks.........potential is one thing.........greatness is another. Oh, and BTW, I am one who has argued on this board before that horses that win triple crown races should be horse of the year over those who avoid the triple crown races or fail to seek out a match with the triple crown contenders. I know sometimes the conditions don't fit for this kind of thing.......but I have taken it on the chin on this board for saying Funny Cide and Smarty should have been horse of the year due to their performances in the Triple Crown races..........so I don't discount the Triple Crown races.

46zilzal
05-18-2006, 01:17 PM
last two (before the Derby) were dirt.

Tom
05-18-2006, 03:52 PM

ARAZI :eek:

WINMANWIN
05-18-2006, 04:31 PM
After Viewing the PP'S it appears in My Mind, only 2 have a SHOT to beat BARBARO. Brother Derek and SNS both had troubled derby trips. Looks like the CHIT-CHAT will continue for the BELMONT. Undefeated COLT, an the TRIPLE CROWN on the line ;) Folks, you cant write it any Better :ThmbUp:

rastajenk
05-18-2006, 05:39 PM
I tend to agree with Ralph. An hour before the Derby, the field was as contentious and closely matched as any in recent history, with any of 10 or twelve capable of pulling it off. Now we instantly have a candidate for Horse of the Decade (who was 6-1?) It could be a great story, and I'm always in for a great story, but I don't mind taking a wait and see approach at the same time. If he runs back to the 98's and 102's he listed before the Derby, he will get beat by several lengths. That is hardly beyond the realm of possiblility.

Art P
05-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Runs out of the money, big prices coming

Overlay
05-18-2006, 09:24 PM
ARAZI :eek:

Tom,

I understand your point, of course. Anything can happen (and usually does). But Arazi's run in the Juvenile was months before the Triple Crown, and a lot can happen (and the hype can build up just that much more intensely) during that time (witness the lack of success (or even participation) of Juvenile winners in the following year's Triple Crown), whereas with the Triple Crown we're only talking holding the Derby winner's form (that's already been demonstrated to be present) for a cumulative span of five weeks (no easy task, of course, but not the same as a six-month interval).

Tote Master
05-18-2006, 09:40 PM
rastajenk
I tend to agree with Ralph. An hour before the Derby, the field was as contentious and closely matched as any in recent history, with any of 10 or twelve capable of pulling it off. And you call yourselves handicappers? Maybe by your logic there were 10 or 12, but in my mind (and many others) there were only 3. Any so-called capper that didn’t know that speed dual would unfold before the gate opened must be blind or delerious!

rastajenk
Now we instantly have a candidate for Horse of the Decade (who was 6-1?) No actually we have REAL candidate for the Triple Crown, who was probably one of the biggest overlays in recent Derby history. Sorry you didn’t have it.

rastajenk
It could be a great story, and I'm always in for a great story, but I don't mind taking a wait and see approach at the same time. If he runs back to the 98's and 102's he listed before the Derby, he will get beat by several lengths. That is hardly beyond the realm of possibility. Now that’s brilliant! And while you’re sitting on the sidelines pondering, apparently still in disbelief, this animal will continue its winning ways. What will you say when it wins the Belmont by 25? That you still have to wait and see to make comparisons to others of the past before giving credit where credit is due?

Perhaps you didn’t notice that not only was Barbaro winning every race, its Beyer number was improving with every race as well! Perhaps you didn’t notice the workouts before the Derby? Maybe you didn’t notice where this horse took the lead and its margin of victory over what you described as a “field that was as contentious and closely matched in recent history”. Maybe you didn’t hear the comments after the race, that this horse was breathing with ease while the losers were panting with every breath. What does it take for guys like yourself to recognize a superior animal? (Even after a race is over!) When I read some of the commentary on this forum I wonder if people are reading the same PP’s and watching the same races I am. In reality maybe these horses aren’t as closely matched as you think! So go ahead gripe all you want. Make excuses why your horse lost the Derby, and do the rest us a favor and bet it again in the Preakness! (If its even there!)

Perhaps the best of Barbaro is yet to come!
I sure hope so! This game sorely needs another Champion.

GO BARBARO !

JPinMaryland
05-18-2006, 10:24 PM
I think the correct hackneyed cliche is:

"A nation in desperate need of a hero."

:p

Ron
05-18-2006, 10:45 PM
And you call yourselves handicappers? This game sorely needs another Champion.

GO BARBARO !

While its fun to talk about, its one race out of hundreds that we bet every week. There's no reason for you to insult anyone. If you have any brains at all, you know that anything can happen in a horse race.

KingChas
05-18-2006, 11:00 PM
I think the correct hackneyed cliche is:

"A nation in desperate need of a hero."

:p

"And if ever the time it would be now!"

Where I here that before? :lol:

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2006, 11:22 PM
I just stopped by to see what the so-called handicappers

What's with the attitude? Are sales running low? That's the main reason you decided to come back here and post a few notes, right?

toetoe
05-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Tote Master Baiter,

Welcome back, *compadre.* Oops, that's gurulj's buzzword. Never mind.

Tom
05-18-2006, 11:32 PM
And you call yourselves handicappers?

That's nothing....you should hear what they call YOU! :D

toetoe
05-18-2006, 11:35 PM
I take it back. I want to be an iconoclastic curmudgeon, and you guys all dislike the same "bet-against" that I dislike. May you all bow your tendons. Harrumph! :D

Tote Master
05-19-2006, 12:45 AM
PA
What's with the attitude? Are sales running low? That's the main reason you decided to come back here and post a few notes, right? Nothing but a positive attitude and high hopes here! Can’t you tell? Actually business is great! Thanks. I’m certainly not looking to generate any anything of the sort around here nor even mention it. Heaven forbid some enlightenment!
And as I mentioned:
I just stopped by to see what the so-called handicappers were saying about perhaps the best horse in the last 10 years to have real shot at the Triple Crown, and I find the following nonsense:And talk about attitudes! Why don’t you ask why so many are looking at every possibility for Barbaro to loose the Preakness? Sure sounds like they want to downplay its recent accomplishment in the worst way, maybe because their pockets are a bit lighter.
Ron
While its fun to talk about, its one race out of hundreds that we bet every week. There's no reason for you to insult anyone. Yes it is a lot of fun, especially from a positive perspective, but if you actually consider each of the TC races as just another race, well I what can I say? And if some of the other comments posted don’t insult your intelligence as a player, I’m not sure what will. Apparently, when you tell like is, it might very well sound insulting. But I’m not insulting anyone personally (as some do here), I’m simply contradicting their comments. Isn’t that what a forum is all about?. I guess I’ll never be politically correct around PA, but that’s how it goes.
Ron
If you have any brains at all, you know that anything can happen in a horse race. Now who’s doing the insulting?Perhaps you overlooked my previous comments:
I think that the only way Barbaro loses either of its next 2 races is by experiencing severe trouble during the race. Of course anything can happen in a horse race.
Tom
That's nothing....you should hear what they call YOU!Whatever you say Tom! It must be earth-shattering !
If it takes up more then one line I'm sure you won't post it!

Best of Luck!
Especially when betting against Barbaro!

PaceAdvantage
05-19-2006, 01:21 AM
And talk about attitudes! Why don’t you ask why so many are looking at every possibility for Barbaro to loose the Preakness? Sure sounds like they want to downplay its recent accomplishment in the worst way, maybe because their pockets are a bit lighter.

Who exactly is SO MANY? There are an equal number crowning him the King of Kings after the Derby as are looking to beat him in the Preakness.

Again, I ask, why storm in here with an attitude? The thread was going along just fine without attitude....

Tote Master
05-19-2006, 04:10 AM
PA
Who exactly is SO MANY? There are an equal number crowning him the King of Kings after the Derby as are looking to beat him in the Preakness.Obviously some of those whose comments I’ve rebutted. I’m not sure who’s crowning him yet, but at least they recognize a superior animal when they see it!
PA
Again, I ask, why storm in here with an attitude? The thread was going along just fine without attitude.... I’m not sure I understand your question, unless of course you’re referring to a Winning attitude.
Storming into PA? Why have the rules changed to permit only docile commentary? I only decided to make a comment after I read some of these incredible predictions. So the thread was "fine" as long as it found some fault with either Barbaro’s Derby performance, its Past Performances, or some other nonsensical reason for it to loose the Preakness (or Belmont)? Well, I’m sorry if I’m not of a pessimistic persuasion, and you can look to beat this horse any which way you choose. If it runs its race without incident, I personally see only one inevitable outcome.

Over and Out!

depalma13
05-19-2006, 06:43 AM
Too bad Showing Up could not put in another race other than the Derby and come into the Preakness, thought he ran a big race in the Derby but was short for it (similar to the Red Bullet year when Strounach waited for the Preakness with RB) and he could have been a tough customer for Barbaro on that schedule instead of his gallant try in the Derby.

Do you really think the owners of Barbaro would have sent their other horse (Showing Up) to the Preakness to knock off their shot at a Triple Crown? I'm all for the sporty thing to do, but that would be just pure lunacy.

JustRalph
05-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Hey Tote........... can I ask you a couple of questions? Since you are such a judge of horse flesh........

Who did you pick to win the Derby in 2002 and 2003?

Just wondered.

headhawg
05-19-2006, 09:12 AM
So the thread was "fine" as long as it found some fault with either Barbaro’s Derby performance, its Past Performances, or some other nonsensical reason for it to loose the Preakness (or Belmont)? Well, I’m sorry if I’m not of a pessimistic persuasion, and you can look to beat this horse any which way you choose. If it runs its race without incident, I personally see only one inevitable outcome.
1) I know that I'm not the "great" handicapper that you are, but at least I have a certain command of the English language. The word is "lose", not loose.

2) If you're so sure that Barbaro is the next TC winner, how about betting your board posting rights on it? If we don't get a TC winner this year, then no posts from you until next year's Derby.

3) Oh. And I see that you've given yourself an out with "if it runs its race without incident"....

Good luck to you betting your Preakness 3-5 shot. :rolleyes:

Wiley
05-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Do you really think the owners of Barbaro would have sent their other horse (Showing Up) to the Preakness to knock off their shot at a Triple Crown? I'm all for the sporty thing to do, but that would be just pure lunacy.
Good point. I was just looking at it from a purely competitive horse racing standpoint. Logisticly it was not going to happen.

Though how about this scenerio; Showing Up wins the Derby, Barbaro runs a close second, do the owners run both in the Preakness or do they tank Barbaro and let Showing Up have his shot? Probably a more difficult choice given Barbaro was considered the more accomplished of the two.

PaceAdvantage
05-19-2006, 11:04 PM
I’m not sure I understand your question, unless of course you’re referring to a Winning attitude.

Yeah, that's it....that's what I was referring to....:bang:

Joe L.
05-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Well I guess you know where my money was and my opinion about this horse.

Don't recall one post from you about Barbaro BEFORE the Derby, but hey, congratulations anyway. Stop back again real soon, you seem like a real swell guy. :rolleyes:

Tom
05-20-2006, 10:52 AM
1) I know that I'm not the "great" handicapper that you are, but at least I have a certain command of the English language. The word is "lose", not loose.

What a great sales gimmick for a tout - "I can't even SPELL "lose!" :lol:

jetdriver
05-20-2006, 11:14 AM
8-6-5-1 !