PDA

View Full Version : When Caliente Book Got Spanked

Koko
05-10-2006, 04:46 PM
I'd like to tell what I think is an interestng story, but let me provide a few caveats, first I don't consider myself a particularly gifted storyteller, and secondly, I don't have all the facts nor could they be easily documented, so with that said let me proceed.

In 1990 I made a friend was a speculator who eventually told me about a scenario that had taken place not too long before that. He knew numerous people who frequented the Caliente Race and Sports Book in Tijuana and a few of his friends/acquaintances came across the idea to take advantage of Caliente's retarded policies of allowing good sized bets on Florida Dog Races rather small win, place and show pools.

They had a contact in Florida who would make a $100, $200 bet into the show pool of maybe $400 on a dog sure to come in out of the money.
Of course the show payouts would be phenomenal on the dogs that came in the money. They would apparently bet all the other dogs to show and whoever came in would pay quite well naturally, as long as the "bad" dog didn't hit the money.

His buddies were bright enough to figure this out but not bright enough to do it in the most ideal manner which I discovered later after researching this method. The best approach would be to bet a relatively low odds dog, that you liked, to show, since these animals tend to be underbet in the show pool anyway.

Apparently they nailed them for some unknown number of months before the management at Caliente got wise to the game. Oftentimes, favorites will pay nearly as much to show as to win if they are severely underbet to show and come in with a couple of longshots, so relatively large show payouts on favorites wouldn't be glaringly noticeable.

By the time I got around to investigating the possibility of replicating their efforts, they had severely limited bet amounts to under $100 to show, but they would allow you to bet more to show if you bet 5 times that much to win on the same dog. Of course, since they have 3 different "stores" within 50 yards of each other, you could walk store to store making $90 show bets until you had enough down to make it worth doing.

My math showed that in a typical Hollywood or Hialeah show pool on a Tuesday Matinee of $300-$350 a $125 tweak bet would substantially twist the odds to the point where a $700 show bet on a contender would be fairly profitable long term. I recently called to find out current bet limits and they've cut things back even further, only allowing $20 straight bets on Florida dogs.

Unfortunately I arrived in San Diego a little late to partake of the spoils which, from what I understand were in the hundreds of thousands.

kitts
05-10-2006, 05:14 PM
I was born and raised in Los Angeles and Caliente was primarily a vacation weekend in Mexico. Untill I discovered horseplaying. Caliente "invented" the Pick Six. They called it the "Five-Ten" since to win one had to pick the winner of those six races in a row. Caliente did not enjoy a squeakie clean rep at the time. I am reminded of a Sunday when the last race was run and the sun was down and there were no night lights. I watched the race and could not tell which horse won other than my eyes told me it was the 3 or the 8. After a time they announced the official winner as the Ten!

The good ol' days!

Koko
05-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Kitts,

That's funny. Sounds about right. I've heard of form darkening but results darkening is a whole different story. I knew about the Pick Six originating there, by the way, the Ceasar Salad was first created in Tijuana surprisingly enough.

Koko
05-10-2006, 05:39 PM
What I failed to explain in my first post, is that Caliente does not feed into the mutual pools which is why you could bet large amounts and still get a huge mutual. Naturally you could have assumed such, but just to be clear.

JackS
05-10-2006, 06:05 PM
In the 60's I once sped from Yuma Ariz. To the Caliente Book in San Louis to put in a $100 win bet on the Derby. I got there with a couple of minuites to spare I thought but to this day I'm still not sure that the race had not already run. When I placed the bet the teller turned around to check the board then accepted my bet. Results weren't posted but that doesn't mean anything. The horse lost and if the teller knew this, the 100 bucks was a gift from me to him.

DeadCrab
05-10-2006, 07:47 PM
This type of track pool manipulation used to be done in thoroughbred racing as well. Even in the early 80's, Las Vegas had separate pools. Conspirators would place bets of thousands of dollars on sure losers at the track to inflate the price of their "sure thing", and bet accordingly in NV.

As communications improved, LV books would work with the tracks to uncover abnormal betting patterns. The smug bettor might not have felt so smart when trying to collect their bet and ending up being "backroomed" in the pre-Wynn era.

The Las Vegas books were thrilled to get co-mingling with track pools, as now they donn't have any risk from pool manipulation. Just collect their 15% sure thing on every bet.

Andy Beyer is rumored to have tried this during one of the earliest Penn National World Series of Handicapping. In one of the last races, he was still in contention, and supposedly began betting real money on other horses to fatten the price on his contest selection. Contest horse lost anyway.