PDA

View Full Version : hard to believe nowadays

46zilzal
05-09-2006, 02:56 PM
(CNN) -- An estimated 2 million babies die within their first 24 hours each year worldwide and the United States has the second worst newborn mortality rate in the developed world, according to a new report.

maybe if some of that pork being flushed down the drain in the midEast went into education programs domestically this would not be a news story.

JustRalph
05-09-2006, 04:01 PM
maybe if 70% of minority fathers stayed home instead of abandoning their children during pregnancy........and 45% of the mothers giving birth to their children didn't ignore proper pre-natal care........ this wouldn't be a problem......? there are two sides to every statistic.........

throwing money at it won't fix a cultural problem..........

Tom
05-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Crack while you are preggers is probably not a good thing to do, but the 46 probably thinks it not the mother's responsibility to act responsible. Too easy to blame someone.
This might sound harsh, but maybe it for the best all do not survive.

Snag
05-10-2006, 07:00 AM
(CNN) -- An estimated 2 million babies die within their first 24 hours each year worldwide and the United States has the second worst newborn mortality rate in the developed world, according to a new report.

maybe if some of that pork being flushed down the drain in the midEast went into education programs domestically this would not be a news story.

Do you not find it strange that this birth/death rate has been going on for 100's of years in the world? But I guess that facts don't fit into your agenda. My wife and I lost a baby and it nothing to do with our education, health care, or any of the government give away programs. I'm only wish that "some" of the money you so easily talk about could have changed the facts of life/death.

ljb
05-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Both Ralph and Tom have mentioned some possible causes of this dire statistic. Do either of you think we, as a community, could/should do anything to alleviate these conditions ?
Just curious.

JustRalph
05-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Both Ralph and Tom have mentioned some possible causes of this dire statistic. Do either of you think we, as a community, could/should do anything to alleviate these conditions ?
Just curious.

No. You can't force a cultural change on people. They must do it from within. I don't know how the hell you are going to force someone to care about the children he sprinkles throughout a neighborhood.............unless he feels the pressure and passion from within his own community and family.

As long as he keeps watching videos everyday that support and glorify his status as a "player" I don't think things will change one bit. And this is not just a black problem. There are other minority groups that have this problem also. I have seen it first hand.

46zilzal
05-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Do you not find it strange that this birth/death rate has been going on for 100's of years in the world? But I guess that facts don't fit into your agenda. My wife and I lost a baby and it nothing to do with our education, health care, or any of the government give away programs. I'm only wish that "some" of the money you so easily talk about could have changed the facts of life/death.
agenda? was just pointning out that it is a strange stat. I am well aware that all do not fit into this category.

Snag
05-10-2006, 10:32 AM
agenda? was just pointning out that it is a strange stat. I am well aware that all do not fit into this category.

It's a "strange stat" and your comment is to stop "pork being flushed down the drain in the midEast"? To my way of thinking, that's an agenda. At least JR and Tom's first reaction referred to conditions that are not directly money related.

tahoesid
05-10-2006, 10:39 AM
I think this statistic has been hashed through on here before? and it seems that a bigger proportion of these numbers came from around our borders? Guess which borders.

Tom
05-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Just curious.

Here are a couple of words we use in our evaluation of scocila problems that libs most likely are not familiar with: personal responsibility.
What do you suggest, Ljb, we have thrown trillions of dollars at poverty and it only feeds it. Get used to the idea that some people are not savable. Get used to the idea that natural selection is at work.

twindouble
05-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Here are a couple of words we use in our evaluation of scocila problems that libs most likely are not familiar with: personal responsibility.
What do you suggest, Ljb, we have thrown trillions of dollars at poverty and it only feeds it. Get used to the idea that some people are not savable. Get used to the idea that natural selection is at work.:lol:

In todays modern world the driving force of natural slection is money and guns. Get used to the idea, it's been around for centuries.

T.D.

46zilzal
05-10-2006, 12:03 PM
It's a "strange stat" and your comment is to stop "pork being flushed down the drain in the midEast"? To my way of thinking, that's an agenda. At least JR and Tom's first reaction referred to conditions that are not directly money related.
bad reference. If I stated that lemons were yellow those two would find a reason to differ because I said it.

hcap
05-10-2006, 03:10 PM
There is a larger context here.

"Researchers from the U.S. and England were just trying to discover why poor people are less healthy than rich, but were astounded when their studies showed that poor people in England are actually as healthy as rich people in America and healthier when it comes to cases of diabetes, blood pressure and cancer.

But even more astounding to them was when comparing all white Brits with white Americans, regardless of income, the Americans have more diabetes, more heart disease, more respiratory problems and many more other diseases as well."

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0510-25.htm

Most western systems have some variation on universal health care.
We don't, yet spend much more on health care.

ljb
05-10-2006, 03:48 PM
No. You can't force a cultural change on people. They must do it from within.
You wouldn't be talking about making democracy in the mideast via war would you ? I don't know how the hell you are going to force someone to care about the children he sprinkles throughout a neighborhood.............unless he feels the pressure and passion from within his own community and family.

Key word here community.
As long as he keeps watching videos everyday that support and glorify his status as a "player" I don't think things will change one bit. And this is not just a black problem. There are other minority groups that have this problem also. I have seen it first hand.
no comment on this paragraph, i am in agreement with most of it accept perhaps the reference to minority groups. This type of activity is not confined to any groups.

ljb
05-10-2006, 03:55 PM
What do you suggest, Ljb, we have thrown trillions of dollars at poverty and it only feeds it. Get used to the idea that some people are not savable. Get used to the idea that natural selection is at work.
Speaking as a lib, i never said anything about "personal responsibility". I think everyone should be held responsible for their actions. Throwing trillions of dollars at anything is not the answer, witness our attempts at forcing democracy on the middle east. I just pointed out your statements. and asked if you had any suggestions, my exact question was could/should we do anything about the problems ? It appears you think as a community we should do nothing. Thanks for you reply.

Tom
05-10-2006, 03:57 PM
There is an even bigger issue here, Hcap......many health related problems here are not becasue of poor medical care, but rather, are self-inflicted nutrition related.
Diabetes - High blood pressure - overweight-what other result would you expect from the food most American choose to eat?

Biggie fries, biggie Coke, meat lover's pizza, Big Macs, 1 pound candy bars.
And schools - liberal schools I might add - have been totally irresponsible in this area - putting coke machines in schools, candy machines, zero-nutrition lunches. This is just one in a long line of why libs must be kept in check - they are ignorant!

When I went to school, we got detention for chewing GUM! There was NONE of this high fat sugar laden crap to even think about buying. We did not eat snacks at aby time during the day - lunch was it, and water. All the water we could fit into the three minutes between classes.

I have to laugh at Billy boy Clinton - he is now ddevoting himself to clean up nutrition in schools, and thinks within a year we could get the coke and candy machines out of the schools! A YEAR? Pull the friggin' plug NOW, move it outside after the last class. Problem gone, TODAY!

And as the libs have broken up the family unit, there is less and less guidence for childred, part of the ultimate lib plan to brainwash and control tthe minds of the future generations.

You just cannot look at a statistic and make generalerizations about it - you have to actually THINK about what the data is telling you. You are just a drive-by poster.

BTW, the Brittish may not eat the same foods we do because not too many of them have TEETH!:D

hcap
05-10-2006, 04:42 PM
There is no doubt personal choices decide much in life. However, I don't think the British eat much more healty foods. I may be wrong. From the article it is apparent that "For example, smoking rates are about the same for both countries. The British have a higher rate of heavy drinking, but more Americans are obese."

Also "New Yorker magazine a few months ago detailed, for example, how many Americans go without dental care and how rotting teeth alone cause huge health problems for people as they grow older" So your observation "BTW, the Brittish may not eat the same foods we do because not too many of them have TEETH!" is toothless :D :D

Other western countries have universal heath care. It may be affordable AND regular medical and specifically prenatal care is a major factor in developing diseases. How many macjobs provide major medical???

JustRalph
05-10-2006, 06:06 PM
This type of activity is not confined to any groups.

It is not confined to, but it occurs in much higher numbers in minority groups and the black community suffers more from this problem than any other. Damn shame too. Have you ever heard Bill Cosby on this subject? very interesting stuff.

Example: in Cincinnati Ohio 70% of black newborns are born to single mothers according to a survey taken two years ago. A survey taken a year later found that the number increased to 78% after a year had passed. Amazing numbers really................There is a crisis in the black community when it comes to this issue. These numbers are much higher in the black community than any other. Look it up.

Tom
05-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Due in no small part to morons like Jesse - who keeps his own people down to promote his own well being. Typical lib - gotta have victims to make himself thier saviour.

ljb
05-11-2006, 11:37 AM
It is not confined to, but it occurs in much higher numbers in minority groups and the black community suffers more from this problem than any other. Damn shame too. Have you ever heard Bill Cosby on this subject? very interesting stuff.

Example: in Cincinnati Ohio 70% of black newborns are born to single mothers according to a survey taken two years ago. A survey taken a year later found that the number increased to 78% after a year had passed. Amazing numbers really................There is a crisis in the black community when it comes to this issue. These numbers are much higher in the black community than any other. Look it up.
I agree with what you say here. I also agree with Bill Cosby's opinions in this area. But the question lingers in my mind. Can and should we do anthing to help in this area ? I am a liberal but I believe in the old "give a man a fish" cliche.
Maybe I should just forget it but, it is hard for me to accept the most prosperous nation in the world having such a high infant mortatlity rate.

ljb
05-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Due in no small part to morons like Jesse - who keeps his own people down to promote his own well being. Typical lib - gotta have victims to make himself thier saviour.
Tom,
Could you clarify how Jesse keeps his own people down ?

JustRalph
05-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I am a liberal but I believe in the old "give a man a fish" cliche.

As long as it is a Perch! The big one! Not those tiny Pennsylvania Perch ! :lol: :lol:

lsbets
05-11-2006, 02:38 PM
As long as it is a Perch! The big one! Not those tiny Pennsylvania Perch ! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
05-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Tom,
Could you clarify how Jesse keeps his own people down ?

Yes, I could.

Tom
05-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Maybe I should just forget it but, it is hard for me to accept the most prosperous nation in the world having such a high infant mortatlity rate.

Neutring. Mandatory.

Seriously, how can you expect someone who can't take of themself to care for a baby? That care starts, and not to offend the abortion pros here who deny life begins until full birth, at conception.
Maybe that warped philosophy has something to do with it? How can you take proper care of your baby and support killing it at the same time?

ljb
05-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Yes, I could.
Then please do so.