PDA

View Full Version : Betting strategy vs. the casual bettors?

kenwoodallpromos
05-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Any suggestions for special betting strategy when more of the betting pool is casual bettors?
I'm talking about TC and BC races; tracks with short seasons in the Mountain time zone; Ca fairs and Fairplex.
Whenever I go to any racing on the Northern Ca circuit there many newbiers and families, seasonal workers and trainers, persons betting without doing much handicapping or looking for value.
I think we can come up with specific strategies on how causual bettors bet and how to beat them. There should be enough pools and decent size pools for PA forum members to clean up.

Ron
05-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Any suggestions for special betting strategy when more of the betting pool is casual bettors?
I'm talking about TC and BC races; tracks with short seasons in the Mountain time zone; Ca fairs and Fairplex.
Whenever I go to any racing on the Northern Ca circuit there many newbiers and families, seasonal workers and trainers, persons betting without doing much handicapping or looking for value.
I think we can come up with specific strategies on how causual bettors bet and how to beat them. There should be enough pools and decent size pools for PA forum members to clean up.

Do you really think that bulk of the pools are casual money? Casual bettors wager casual amounts.

bettheoverlay
05-08-2006, 04:07 PM
All the casual bettors I know this year were betting Barbaro. I even took a winning exacta bet for a buddy who only plays the Derby. Casual bettors often do better than the experts.

betovernetcapper
05-08-2006, 04:09 PM
I've spent some time betting into tracks with with very small pools. In these pools 1 or 2 $50-$100 bettors can have a dramatic effect on the odds. They sometimes offer great value for the $10/20 bettor.

Fred
05-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Do you really think that bulk of the pools are casual money? Casual bettors wager casual amounts.

Very true-But there is a plethora of casual bettors on Derby Day and yes they will make up a big percentage of the pool.

Freddy

hurrikane
05-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Damn, I thought KW was a casual bettor.

shows you how much out of the loop I am...

Tom
05-08-2006, 11:37 PM

Bet with your head, not over it! :rolleyes:

twindouble
05-09-2006, 08:38 AM

In my opinion nothing should change when it comes to your wagering strategy, your more apt to get better value on the horses you like. I never get sucked into movements on the tote, either I like the horse or I don't so when the casual better throws money in my direction all I do is smile. Gamblers that will change their strategy on a whim didn't have a good one to begin with.

T.D.

Overlay
05-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Tying in with twindouble's observation about getting value on the horses you like: depending on how "casual" the bettors are, I would think that if they weren't that knowledgeable about handicapping, they'd be latching on to readily available picks such as in the track program or the Form (if they even bought or used the Form), so those horses would figure to be underlays. If you look for plausible winners among the rest of the field, you should be able to get an edge in the odds.