PDA

View Full Version : Ping Default Gateway

IRISHLADSTABLE
05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
I cant get an internet connection on my Laptop. Getting an error message cant find Internet Explorer.

I checked the setting Tools,Internet Options,Connections tab Settings

In went into Dell troubleshoot and stated I cant connect to the internet

This was the response, The troubleshooter has detected that your computer cant ping your default gateway..

Can someone Explain to me what the hell that means

Thank You in Advance

Jimmy

chickenhead
05-08-2006, 02:15 PM
jimmy, open up a dos window (start>programs>accesories>command prompt) and type ipconfig, post here what it says for your ip address, default gateway, subnet mask etc.

that might help to diagnose.

IRISHLADSTABLE
05-08-2006, 02:29 PM
IP Address 192.168.1.101

Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

chickenhead
05-08-2006, 02:46 PM
what is new about this set-up, or was it working before? I assume you've got DSL or something, you have a router that you plug both your PC and laptop into?

From that same command prompt on your laptop type ping 192.168.1.101 then hit enter, see if that works.

headhawg
05-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Jimmy,

Go to your command prompt again, type "ping 192.168.1.1" (without the quotes). You should get 100% success on four packets sent. I don't believe the troubleshooter tool so let us know what you get.

HH

douglasw32
05-08-2006, 03:13 PM
9 times out of 10 there is a firewall (mcaffe, Norton,Zone Alarm, Computer Associates or even the Windows one) Blocking your access to the router

fouroneone
05-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Jimmy,

I've ported in And began DoS attacks against youbet and drf.

Thanks!

j/k

IRISHLADSTABLE
05-08-2006, 04:39 PM
HH I did what you said and I got a msg Packets Sent 4 Received=3 lost 1(25%loss)

Chicken asked
what is new about this set-up, or was it working before? I assume you've got DSL or something, you have a router that you plug both your PC and laptop into?

It was working and then I just couldn't gain access to the internet
kept getting that error msg ( Cant find sever Internet Explorer)

The desk top Im currentlly working on is connected to a Modem from my cable co ( Cablevision here in Bklyn, N.Y.)

Motorola SBV 4200Voice over IP Cable Modem

The laptop is at the other end of the house connected to a Linksys
Wireless G Broadband Router.

headhawg
05-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Jimmy,

I'm a little confused about your set up. I looked up your Motorola model on the 'net and it doesn't come with a built-in hub/switch. That means you have only one input to the modem directly. Unless I am misunderstanding, your desktop is plugged into that single port. What is your Linksys router plugged into? To access the Internet, that router needs to be plugged into the single port on the modem, and then you would plug your desktop into one of the hub/switch ports on the router.

I think that I may misreading your setup because you did say that it was working before but not now, so could you clarify?

HH

IRISHLADSTABLE
05-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Jimmy,

I'm a little confused about your set up. I looked up your Motorola model on the 'net and it doesn't come with a built-in hub/switch. That means you have only one input to the modem directly. Unless I am misunderstanding, your desktop is plugged into that single port. What is your Linksys router plugged into? To access the Internet, that router needs to be plugged into the single port on the modem, and then you would plug your desktop into one of the hub/switch ports on the router.

I think that I may misreading your setup because you did say that it was working before but not now, so could you clarify?

HH

HH,
I meant to say the Laptop is at the other side of the house .
The Desktop is connected to the Modem and router.
All is well now with both connections. McAfee was the culprit.
Thank You all for responding

Jimmy