PDA

View Full Version : Internet Freedom

Tom
05-07-2006, 12:46 PM
OK, this is moveon.org, but I have checked it out with computer professinals
and the threat is real and it is imminent - early this week.
Congress, in it dedication to ignore thepeople of this country in favor of big business money, is about to vote on a law the legalizes internet extortion. Real people places like ATT want the right to extor money from websites (Like Paceadvantage.com) in order to continue to be "available."
What they will do, say if PA says no to paying the protection money, will put htis site on the bottom of the list. This means when you try to enter, it might take 5-10-15 minutes to open it up inder the new rules, where those paying protection get priority over those whoe do not pay. This could kill the free internet and wipe oout millions of sites. Basically, congress might sell the internet to huge providers like ATT.

If you are concerned, this internet pettiton is available and a large push to protect our internet freedom will be fought this week.

http://civic.moveon.org/save_the_internet/

toetoe
05-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Tom,

Once we bookmark it, it's right there, instantly available, right?

Tom
05-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Should be.
If not, it is posted at www.soundbytes.com
Click on LINKS, then got to number 3 or 4 on the list - websites you mentioned on the show - today's date.

Ponyplayr
05-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Tom..Will they charge PA or Yahoo..Msn ect?

Isn't it the Browser that opens the page? Not the carrier? :confused:

Snag
05-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Tom, any idea what the number is for this bill?

Tom
05-07-2006, 04:39 PM
What will happen is the internet providers will give preference to certain sites that pay the extortion.

Not sure about the bill number - will try to find out.

JustRalph
05-07-2006, 04:45 PM
What will happen is the internet providers will give preference to certain sites that pay the extortion.

Not sure about the bill number - will try to find out.

and those providers will incur the wrath of their users. This has been discussed for years. But the long term view is that providers would be cutting their own throats. I agree.

The minute I can't get what I want....... I will find a provider who doesn't throttle some sites.........and those will be many.......just begging to take away the business of those who do.............the market will take care of this problem in the long run. It may be a short term difficulty.........but it won't last.

kenwoodallpromos
05-07-2006, 04:56 PM
So this charge is in addition to my IPS paying for the same phone service? Like cell phone companies charging both ends for service?

Tom
05-07-2006, 06:47 PM
and those providers will incur the wrath of their users. This has been discussed for years. But the long term view is that providers would be cutting their own throats. I agree.

The minute I can't get what I want....... I will find a provider who doesn't throttle some sites.........and those will be many.......just begging to take away the business of those who do.............the market will take care of this problem in the long run. It may be a short term difficulty.........but it won't last.

I think they are taking their lead from oil companies.....we apparently will bitch a lot and then pay in the end.:bang: