PDA

View Full Version : Elated Feelings & Trainer Matz

Observer
05-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Not only was this Derby an absolutey amazing performance, but it was something extra special and will rank 2nd as the most memorable for me .. right behind Alysheba's display of courage down the stretch in 1987.

Barbaro had appeared to be a special horse going into the Derby unbeaten while handling nearly every variety of surface, turf, slop and fast dirt. He proved his grit and determination. He proved to be a tactical horse. And on Derby day, he squashed the 5-week off theory.

Trainer Michael Matz is a unique racing trainer. Obviously with his act of bravery and courage in the Souix City, Iowa plane crash, many people were rooting for him, not necessarily the horse. However, I remember his days as a brilliant equestrian competitor. And for me, to see him transform his career from such a discipline that demands a special communication between horse and rider for elite prizes, this win in the Derby was no surprise, especially considering the 5-week gap.

On a side-note back to the plane crash, I think it's worth mentioning that Matz returned to the show ring just a couple of weeks after the disaster. Not only did he compete in one of the most prestigious summer events a rider can enter, but he WON that event .. the Hampton Classic Grand Prix.

Matz has been through the grinder of preparing himself and his horses for Olympic competitions, as well as many other rigerous events. He's learned how to get the best from his horses. He is a true horseman in every sense of the word.

toetoe
05-07-2006, 12:40 PM
You're saying he may become the next Michael Dickinson? :D