PDA

View Full Version : Travis Stone debut plays big in Albany

Murph
05-07-2006, 08:57 AM
I just can't get enough of this story. Travis you are a remarkable young man who has already made a positive impact for horseracing. Great job in your debut Friday, I hope your first day was all you expected and more to come! They LOVE you in Albany man.

Rookie race caller has inside track on his dreams
Travis Stone, 22, lands job in big leagues in Louisiana
By JENNIFER GISH (http://www.timesunion.com/TUNews/author/AuthorPage.aspx?AuthorNum=193), Staff writer
http://www.timesunion.com/aspstories/story.asp?storyID=478685

I was probably mistaken in expecting better from Sports illustrated but here is the type of coverage they decided to provide for the days leading up to the KY Derby.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/adam_hofstetter/05/03/uncommon.sense/

Travis, if you happen to run into Adam, would you attempt to set him straight on a few things? Someone needs to.

Murph

KingChas
05-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Congrats to Travis :jump:

Not to take away from Travis thread but this clown at SI sucks.

My profile of Adam H.
Goes to 1 race a year-The Derby,why to say he was there.
Wears a muscle shirt while tossing a football in infield.
Thinks every girl is watching him and knows how many TD's he scored in high school.Speaks over crowd on cell phone thinks everybody thinks he's someone.Plays Glory Days on his CD player over and over again.
Get a life Preppy! :eek:

TravisVOX
05-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the link to the article!

As for the tasteless, senseless and terribly mindless Sports Illustrated columnist, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to respond. I might do a column on it. While OTB's aren't the greatest place in the world to watch horse racing, this guy makes poor attempt at writing a humour column with a serious undertone. Baseless in my opinion.

ryesteve
05-07-2006, 10:16 AM
It think the funniest part of the article was that because he began with a joke mocking John Daly, the "intelligent" ad-linker on page 2 gave you links to John Daly memorabilia.

douglasw32
05-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Go TRAVIS, enjoyed your site a while back....

As for the SPORTS ILLUSTRATED ARTICLE ABOUT OTB's
===========================================
He's tryintg to be funny, sometimes in print that is a tough job, especially when the person doing the comedy is most likely very angry inside...

My guess ...he used to bet, used to frequent OTB, is a horrible handicapper and worst yet a bad gambler, went to a 12 step meeting or two, swore off it forever and uses this type of broad association in his mind to make sure he keeps his Job and family ;) the derby comes up, he is tempted to get back "on the wagon" so out comes the anger again in an article meant to be funny.

I think it is called OVER COMPENSATING.

Now that's funny

JimG
05-07-2006, 10:35 AM
I think the best way to respond to this article is with an articulate, well thought out response that refutes what this writer states with specific examples. A hasty, "mad as hell" response is exactly what he wants so that he can include such letters in a future column that he will spin in an attempt to make horseplayers look like morons (in addition to calling us drunks and degenerates).

Unfortunately, I suspect his column reflects to a degree what the non-gambling society thinks of horseplayers. We have two choices...ignore it and let them go on thinking what "they" think. Or prove "them" wrong by providing an educated reply and refuting this erroneous notion of horseplayers.

Jim

KingChas
05-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Adam Hofstetter's column appears every Wednesday on SI.com. OTB fans can send angry letters and explanations of how they got Internet access to ahofstetter@.

The response by me was to this forum (tongue in cheek)not him or (SI).
what I would like to know what does the above mean? We hacked into the SI article?

JimG
05-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Adam Hofstetter's column appears every Wednesday on SI.com. OTB fans can send angry letters and explanations of how they got Internet access to ahofstetter@.

The response by me was to this forum (tongue in cheek)not him or (SI).
what I would like to know what does the above mean? We hacked into the SI article?

No, I think he means OTB fans would be too stupid and unsophisticated to have internet access.

toetoe
05-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Anyone that plays "Glory Days" ONCE should be sentenced to constant viewing of that movie with Kathy Bates naked in a hot tub. Severe, I know, but we MUST stand firm. Or flaccid or .. whatever. Alternative sentence: listening, at high volume, to Rosie O'Donnell "singing" as Rizzo in "Grease." Worse than Roseanne Barr-The-Door, worse than Stockard Channing, worse than Linda McCartney, worse than Tony Frigging Danza, even.

Wasn't Hofstetter a character on Hogan's Heroes?" I apologize for the uncertainty, but, you see, I know NUTH-THINK!

Zman179
05-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Listen, I don't know about all of you, but I often go to the NYC OTB branches, and in my opinion he hit the nail RIGHT ON THE HEAD (well, all except the internet access part. I get that by tapping into a street lamp wire on the corner.) :lol: I also thought that his style of humor throughout the article was funny. His column doesn't necessarily apply to OTB's in Illinois, Indiana, etc., but it does for New York City (branches in other parts of the state generally don't have these problems.)

To give any of you an idea about New York City OTB branches in particular, anybody can walk in from the street into an OTB without passing any form of security, gates, etc. Many branches have no seating arrangements at all, so if you want to stay for the Belmont card you'll have to stand for all 9 races. Those branches with seating arrangements offer on average about 15 seats with about half of them occupied by sleeping old men and the homeless. Tellers are extremely rude, never punished for infractions, and are located behind double-thick bulletproof glass. There are no rewards programs offered, no items such as programs are offered for free even for those betting large amounts, and for all of this a 6% surcharge is levied on all winnings.

With that said, I went to the branch at 37th Street and 7th Avenue last week. I counted at least four homeless people sitting in the chairs with their usual stenches eminating from them, one of which had about 10 plastic bags filled with stuff, sleeping old men (most of them never getting up to place a bet,) and long betting lines. Parts of the branch smelled of really foul body odor. Finding a seat was a chore, so bad to the point where a few people in the corner of the branch propped themselves up and sat on the closed teller counters. Losing tickets and newspapers were strewn all about the floor with 10 stoopers working the floors and garbage cans looking for tickets; one stooper even tipped over one of the cans to get some of the tickets on the bottom of the can. On top of all this, I even counted two empty Thunderbird wine bottles, one of which I'm certain of because I tripped on it on the way out. :bang:

Believe me, that branch is always the branch of last resort for me. Generally, I only stay there for a short period of time because it's so close to Penn Station. Anybody who's read this article and who has gone to the 37th Street branch will say: "Yup, that's 37th Street allright." By the way, the OTB in that neighborhood has had to move 4 times, first inside Penn Station, then 28th Street and 7th Avenue, then on 29th Street off of 7th Avenue before settling in its its current location) because things would get so bad with people urinating on the sidewalks, fights, garbage on the sidewalk and numerous other things. The landlords would refuse to renew the lease and would throw OTB out.

saratoga guy
05-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Listen, I don't know about all of you, but I often go to the NYC OTB branches, and in my opinion he hit the nail RIGHT ON THE HEAD... His column doesn't necessarily apply to OTB's in Illinois, Indiana, etc., but it does for New York City (branches in other parts of the state generally don't have these problems.)

Unfortunately, he doesn't delineate between NYC OTBs and parlors anywhere else -- so "general interest" SI readers would assume he's describing the "OTB experience", just as the subtitle implies.

That's unfair. If he wanted to clearly take a shot at NYC parlors ("There are nice parlors elsewhere, but in my neighborhood..." or even, "I don't know about elsewhere, but...") that might have made the article excusable. Even then the generalizations are a little dicey -- but you might give him a pass considering it's meant to be humorous.

But again, for a reader who doesn't know better they would assume that he is simply using his local OTBs to describe the general experience of an OTB anywhere. Plus, he's certainly not giving the sport as whole any pats on the back when he writes, "If you thought that spending a day at the track seemed trashy..."

Indulto
05-08-2006, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Zman179:
Listen, I don't know about all of you, but I often go to the NYC OTB branches, and in my opinion he hit the nail RIGHT ON THE HEAD (well, all except the internet access part. I get that by tapping into a street lamp wire on the corner.) I also thought that his style of humor throughout the article was funny.ZM,
I’m with you. Great post BTW. Maybe you can write for SI.
Unfortunately, he doesn't delineate between NYC OTBs and parlors anywhere else -- so "general interest" SI readers would assume he's describing the "OTB experience", just as the subtitle implies.

That's unfair. If he wanted to clearly take a shot at NYC parlors ("There are nice parlors elsewhere, but in my neighborhood..." or even, "I don't know about elsewhere, but...") that might have made the article excusable. Even then the generalizations are a little dicey -- but you might give him a pass considering it's meant to be humorous.

But again, for a reader who doesn't know better they would assume that he is simply using his local OTBs to describe the general experience of an OTB anywhere. Plus, he's certainly not giving the sport as whole any pats on the back when he writes, "If you thought that spending a day at the track seemed trashy…"SG,
The author was subsidized by a NYRA franchise bidder-to-be to ensure the NYS OTB's have to merge with the track operator. ;)

As much as it intrigues and entertains me, the “sport as a whole” does NOT deserve any pats on the back. Or haven’t you read all the complaints that grace this board every day? While I personally prefer "Teletheater" participation to home viewing/wagering, I think such operations have to carry their own weight and I don't think NYS OTB bloat and mismanagement is the answer.

Through an unusual set of circumstances, I watched and wagered on the Derby at Santa Anita rather than at the more conveniently located (for me) Hollywood Park where the racing is now live. Simulcast bettors are treated to a superior environment at SA from a cleanliness and comfort standpoint, yet convenient table seating capacity and broadcast sound capability still elude the paying customer there as well. Concessions still fleece the captive consumer, but at least any long lines at SA were confined to concessions and did not extend to the betting windows and self-service machines.

To watch races at home requires expensive (if all you want is racing and sports) cable/dish services that don’t always deliver the product as scheduled. Money bet away from the host site is not distributed fairly to the horsemen and the non-professional horseplaying majority due to track management incompetence, failure to cooperate, and greed. They have little idea of how to preserve the game and attract new customers.

No effort is being made to determine optimal takeout with respect to handle. Barn security, drug testing, and violator penalties are inadequate. Most information regarding a horse’s physical ailments and corrective actions are still not available to the general public. Performance data, both current and archival, are unnecessarily expensive. The industry depends upon the exploitation of illegal immigrants to survive.

Finally, IMO nothing has ever -- or will ever -- change the generally self-righteous and repressive attitude of the anti-gambling contingent toward horseplaying enthusiasts that I have witnessed for over 40 years (I make a distinction between being anti-gambling and being anti-gambling-related credit card/family abuse, but I also agree with Steven Crist that takeout should not support the latter). In my experience, nothing short of an enjoyable experience at the track is likely to change their minds. Unfortunately, few efforts are made to overcome their ignorance and/or prejudice to get them there.

This article will not get them any new converts, however, and responses of any kind are unlikely to ever alter the author's viewpoint. There is no use in attempting to distract detractors with better bettor sites. The only effective response is to work toward eliminating the indefensible nose/eye-sores from both a social AND economic standpoint and enable the game to provide significant income to the appropriate governments and associated communities including the backstretch.

saratoga guy
05-08-2006, 05:10 AM
SG, As much as it intrigues and entertains me, the “sport as a whole” does NOT deserve any pats on the back. Or haven’t you read all the complaints that grace this board every day?...

While the gripes you go on to describe might or might not have merit -- they're certainly worthy of discussion. But that was not remotely the goal of the SI article.

He was attempting to be humorous -- and his attempt painted an unfair picture of horse-racing. Particularly for sports fans who might not be familiar with the racing game.

If you thought that spending a day at the track seemed trashy...
...just a place where drunk guys can get their gambling fix...
...a magical land that lets you bet on horse racing without actually having to watch any horse racing...
...it wasn't just full of old drunk guys. There were some middle-aged drunk guys there, too...
Granted, most folks at Churchill Downs are really just there for the bourbon...

Again, if he wanted to look specifically at NYC OTBs that might be one thing -- but he's presenting this info as though it were true of the "OTB experience" everywhere. It's not.

And if someone wants to intelligently address the problems you talk about -- that's legit too. And it's done on occasion.

But this guy's attempt at humor simply paints an unfair picture of horse-racing in a mainstream general sports publication that should know better.

ryesteve
05-08-2006, 09:04 AM
He was attempting to be humorous
And as we all know, nothing tickles the funny bone harder than jokes about homeless people... :rolleyes:

fouroneone
05-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Zman you hit the nail on the head.

IMO, 37th street is one of the worst in the city. I have consistently seen vagrants using the restroom to get their fixes. Old men on fixed incomes usually show up for the first race at aqueduct, and dont leave till after meadowlands ends, all the while making no bets.

The teletheaters that otb runs are not much better. The food is at times disgusting, the drinks are weak, and the furniture is all from a late 70's time capsule.

The tellers and management frequently get into shouting matches with the players, and i have even seen fistfights between tellers and players in Queens.

The tellers START at $18.60 an hour, and are all union. They have no fear of losing their job and could care less about you.

the system needs to be changed. A start would be enforcing the no-loitering rules.

Indulto
05-08-2006, 02:53 PM
While the gripes you go on to describe might or might not have merit -- they're certainly worthy of discussion. But that was not remotely the goal of the SI article.

He was attempting to be humorous -- and his attempt painted an unfair picture of horse-racing. Particularly for sports fans who might not be familiar with the racing game.

...Again, if he wanted to look specifically at NYC OTBs that might be one thing -- but he's presenting this info as though it were true of the "OTB experience" everywhere. It's not.

And if someone wants to intelligently address the problems you talk about -- that's legit too. And it's done on occasion.

But this guy's attempt at humor simply paints an unfair picture of horse-racing in a mainstream general sports publication that should know better.
SG,
As a founding member of Gripers Anonymous, let me first note what a positive occurrence Barbaro’s victory in the Derby has turned out to be. Hopefully the wisdom of racing 2YOs on the turf to avoid bone stress, and patient handling by what appears to be a Hay, Oats, and Water guy, will not be lost on his colleagues.

Back on topic, I was not implying that your reaction was unreasonable or unwarranted, only that few people are likely to take this article as seriously as you do, and that for individuals like us who obviously care a great deal about the sport/game, there are more important issues to deal with. Of course there are some people who will react in the way you suggest, but they are too few to be of consequence, and are more than likely to be turned off by racing even if they hadn’t read the article.

As is the case with most satire, exaggeration was employed and accuracy was diminished in the name of amusement and entertainment. Only people already familiar with racing and its foilables were likely to fully appreciate the humor involved. Assuming his primary objective was to tickle rather than offend, I think he succeeded and his editors must have thought so also. And I think you’ll admit upon reflection that bringing up distasteful aspects that need fixing was more effective in the manner employed than in an editorial.

How do most people get involved in horseracing – by reading about it or being exposed to it in the company of someone who is already enthusiastic about it? I’d bet that most people reading the article recognized that it was an exaggeration and, if not already interested in racing, were now more likely to notice an OTB and be more favorably disposed toward racing if they saw that things were either being improved or bore little resemblance to what was written.

I’ve enjoyed your posts and your opinions. I hope I haven’t offended you with my sometimes excessive expression of disagreement.

Respectfully,
Indulto

PaceAdvantage
05-08-2006, 04:50 PM
He was attempting to be humorous --

How can we be so sure? After I first read the article a few days ago, I did not come away with someone who was trying all that hard to be humorous....yeah, humor did play a role, as it does in many articles, but it was not a comedy routine, or at least I did not read it that way....

Indulto
05-08-2006, 11:51 PM
How can we be so sure? After I first read the article a few days ago, I did not come away with someone who was trying all that hard to be humorous....yeah, humor did play a role, as it does in many articles, but it was not a comedy routine, or at least I did not read it that way....OK, I'll bite. How did you read it if not as comedy?

kingfin66
05-09-2006, 01:05 AM
It's pretty obvious to me that this young man would be a success at anything. Congratulations Travis!

PaceAdvantage
05-09-2006, 01:37 AM
OK, I'll bite. How did you read it if not as comedy?

Not as comedy as a whole. I read at as someone who has total disdain for the sport of racing and horseplayers especially. Perhaps his dad lost the family fortune while frequenting a filthy OTB. That's how I read it....

Indulto
05-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Private operation of New Jersey OTBs could be 'dangerous,' Zoffinger says
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=63728&subsec=1 (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=63728&subsec=1)

‘…State law requires any town selected for an off-track site have the approval of its municipal government. Zoffinger said he hopes to announce a northern New Jersey site shortly and added that the authority is currently working to secure a second location. He declined to specify the locations, but said that one year from Tuesday, he expects one or both to be operational.

"We also want to make sure these are not like New York [City OTB's], where you have a lot of scroungy people hanging around outside," Zoffinger said. "That's unacceptable to us. We want to make sure that these are run properly, with a certain amount of ambience and class, and be a good neighbor."--Tom De Martini'