05-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Okay, Barbaro is a mighty horse.

chickenhead
05-06-2006, 06:33 PM
yes, wow. Good on you for everyone that had him...no contest

RXB
05-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Early speed figure guess: 111.

People will be talking Triple Crown for Barbaro, but he's always had five weeks or more between his races. There's probably a reason for that.

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Early speed figure guess: 111.

People will be talking Triple Crown for Barbaro, but he's always had five weeks or more between his races. There's probably a reason for that.

Or, one could look at it as he is well rested for a Triple Crown campaign. I wonder, seriously, how many of these also-rans are going to bother showing up for the next two.

How does Mr. Matz usually race his horses? Does he usually like to give all his horses a lot of time between races? That might put this into some perspective.

douglasw32
05-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Have to agree, one heck of a job keeping this one fit.

depalma13
05-06-2006, 08:32 PM
All of that after stumbling coming out of the gate. It was brilliant performance.

WINMANWIN
05-06-2006, 08:53 PM
I saw BARBARO in the PADDOCK on NBC, and he was FRISKY. I thought he was gonna BUCK THE BACK OF THE STALL. :eek: Looks like he should saddle
in an OPEN AREA. If he stays sound, The TRIPLE CROWN skid will go down this year. Expect a large crowd for the BELMONT P.A. :D

foregoforever
05-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Quite a run, but it looks like the race charter is exaggerating a bit. "BARBARO ... continued five or six wide around the first turn and into the backstretch ..." Huh? He was two wide on the first turn. You might call it three wide since they were off the rail a bit, but five or six?

Can we get a rewrite on the chart?

JPinMaryland
05-06-2006, 09:19 PM
The triple crown is so hard to call because figuring out which horse can get 12f is almost impossible. I dont know if we can tell if can get 12f.

I guess this is the last time we ever get 7-1 odds on Barbaro, huh? Dammit, I tried for the exacta and stupid washed up Bluegrass cat beats me.

He will be so odds on fav. for Preakness that I guess I will have to try and beat him with Brother Derek who must have run a pretty good race, havent watched the tape yet.

Guy on the radio was saying that it wasnt that good a performance because his time was nowhere near Monarchos. These final time people are crazy. It seems to me the margin of victory is a better indicator of how dominant the performance was. Not to take anything away from Monarch. who won by 5 I think.

I guess Barbaro ran 2:01 3/5 or so which is still damn fast given how the track has played in the last 30 years.

Did the track seem speed favoring today. I really only managed to watch tha Humana distaff which seemed to favor the front runner although it was only 7f. I paid closer attention to it last year when it seemed to favor closers in the preliminary races.

Hank
05-06-2006, 09:32 PM
All I have to say is that as I walked to my car,with a REAL nice derby score in my front pocket "I began to dance through the street with my head thrown back arms open wide":jump:

depalma13
05-06-2006, 09:35 PM
I think it was 2:01 1/5

JPinMaryland
05-06-2006, 09:53 PM
2:01 1/5?? Yeah Barbaro should be ashamed. He looked so dominant today; this final time stuff is nonsense. I dont think Spend a Buck beats him by 7 lengths. I really dont.

Roman Line beats Barbaro by 3 1/2 lenghts!

Or how about Sham beats Barbaro by 10 lengths!!

C'mon Barbaro get the lead out of your arse! :lol:

fmhealth
05-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Probaly the most awe inspiring Derby I've ever witnessed!! Magnificent horse & even more impressive connections. Matz seems a genuine person who qualifies as an "American Hero" on numerous levels. Well done!!!!!!!!

Tom
05-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Or, one could look at it as he is well rested for a Triple Crown campaign. I wonder, seriously, how many of these also-rans are going to bother showing up for the next two.

How does Mr. Matz usually race his horses? Does he usually like to give all his horses a lot of time between races? That might put this into some perspective.

I have 59 wins for him in my DB -

< 30 days - 21
30-44 days - 16
45-60 days - 11
> 60 days - 7

Also, 4 FTS, including Barbaro. Mark Cramer has found that FTS are likely to be successful after a layoff, and Barbaro is evidence of that.

5 weeks is only 35 days - that is not a layoff I even bat an eye at for any horse anymore. I'd be more concerned about runnning back in 14 days...he only has two winners at 15 days.

RXB
05-07-2006, 12:39 AM
All I have to say is that as I walked to my car,with a REAL nice derby score in my front pocket "I began to dance through the street with my head thrown back arms open wide":jump:

Thanks for that. Class.

Hank
05-07-2006, 06:08 AM
Your welcome, geez come on man its all in fun ;),but you know the funny thing about it is, that little qoute was EXACTLY how I felt leaving the track.

fmhealth
05-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Congrats Hank on a very nice score!! Anyone who could separate all these top flight contenders & make a winning bet has "the right stuff". Best of luck in the Preakness!

Also Kudos to PA who drilled-down to many of the final four. Excellent analysis.

JPinMaryland
05-07-2006, 12:30 PM
It would be hard NOT to feel like Hank. I walked out of the OTB completely and emotionally spent, didnt feel too bad about the money I had spent given how much fun and how much time I had put into it. These big races usually wind up burned in my brain...