PDA

View Full Version : Friday's Picks...

Bubbles
08-08-2002, 02:46 PM
Hey all...

Saratoga's been very kind to me so far this year, and I'm looking to keep it that way. With this in mind, here are my picks for tomorrow's card...

1st-Tons of route races on this card, and we open up with one which appears to be very slow. My winner is SUMMER SOLDIER, and even he will probably run the 1 and 1/8-miles in just over 1:51! He didn't run too badly last out at Belmont, and he is dangerous if loose on the lead. SEA CLOUD completes the exacta. You have to throw out his last race, where he was ridden by a different rider (Edgar Prado) than usual (Shaun Bridgmohan). He gets Bridgmohan today and should be pressing the early pace. CAPN NATHAN had a bullet work on July 13th at Belmont; ran well last out and has a very good closing kick.

2nd-This high-level allowance is much faster than its predecessor(sp.?). TAILFROMTHECRYPT has hit the board in his last six starts (Two were wins.) He's capable of triple-digit Beyers, and he'll probably get one today. It took a very classy horse to beat WILD YEARS last out. That horse was Puzzlement, and he's now being prepped for the Travers. If he gets loose on the lead in steady fractions, look out. UNBRIDLING is coming out of the Puzzlement race. He put up his highest Beyer here (103, the fastest in this field.) and will likely challenge Wild Years for the early lead.

3rd-I could only come up with a winner in this 5 1/2-furlong baby race. ROARING FEVER is by Storm Cat and out of Pennant Fever. His half-brother, Baseball Champion, romped here earlier in the meet, and there's no reason why this colt can't run like that.

4th-This 1 and 3/8-mile marathon is the longest race on the card. I'll go with (LONGSHOT!!!!!) PERFECT STRANGER. Throw out the Cape Henlopen flop, as he's dropping down in class. He posted a career-high Beyer in his last try at the distance, and is one of the most live longshots of the day. NOWRASS (GB) made a huge move at a mile and a quarter to win in his last start. He won in his last start at the distance and is probably the one to beat. SPOTTED OWL can close, as he showed two starts back at Belmont. If the pace sets up, look for Bailey in the winner's circle once again.

5th-In this 1 and 3/16-mile race on the grass, I went with SUNSTONE (GB). She's dropping down in class after a nice fourth in the Grade 2 New York Handicap and gets Jerry Bailey. DOWNTICK is a dangerous frontrunner. She gets Jorge Chavez, who is quietly having a great meet at the Spa, and all other pacesetters will have to answer to her. DE ROSE COLONY is another frontrunner, and she put up a career-high Beyer last out; no reason that she can't improve.

6th-We're back on the dirt for the sixth, a 6 1/2-furlong sprint. BELLE ARTISTE came from nine lengths back to win a minor stakes race at Monmouth last out. This race sets up for a closer, and she's it. HONEY EYED has been rested for 2 1/2 months. She's a stakes winner and should play a role in the outcome here. BELLA ROUGE has won her last two while pressing the early pace. She cuts back, gets Jerry Bailey, and if she makes a big enough move on the turn, she may lead Bailey to a very familiar spot.

7th- Bailey again. This time he's aboard SILVER RAIL. She bounced at Monmouth last out, and after a two-month layoff, she should be back to her old self. BAY DRAGON contended in last year's Yaddo Handicap here. She cuts back to a mile and should close. DIXIE DOREE came from fifteen (!!) lengths back to win here at the Spa on opening day. She should be ready after the short freshening ahe's had.

8th-This race is the 23rd running of the West Point Handicap, a $75,000 stakes race for New-York breds. And, yes, Jerry Bailey will probably find the winner's circle aboard likely favorite I'M ALL YOURS. He won this race last year. After he absolutely ran the lights out in his last start, he should repeat here. CELTIC SKY beat Bailey and I'm All Yours in the Kingston Handicap in May. He's lost since then, but has had a respectable work over the training track after that race. RELUCTANT GROOM lit up the board while finishing second in the Kingston at roughly 32-1. He has early speed and could steal this race.

9th-A classic finale finishes off this card (Longshots winning, favorites doing very little, etc.). I'm going with NEVER ENOUGH FUN. She's had some good works; gets Guidry and may be an effective firster. HOME SWEET HOME has great bloodlines, Jerry Bailey, and a good work. She's probably the one to catch. JUPITER HOLLOW ran a fair second last out, and her experience may prevail here.

Any questions?