PDA

View Full Version : Post Position Draw on ESPN

JustRalph
05-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Post Position Draw on ESPN at 5:00 p in case anybody is interested

Valuist
05-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Its a shame a legit horse like Sunriver is excluded while the Seaside Retreats and Deputy Glitters of the world are in. There has to be a better way of determining who gets in.

And why no also-eligible list? The race is 3 full days away. Its probably odds on that someone will come up lame between now and then.

Doc
05-03-2006, 01:13 PM
What better way can be used to determine who gets in? I've thought about this myself and I think graded stakes earnings are probably the best. Too bad for Sunriver - he may be talented, but he's going to be on the sidelines.

I'm also in favor of an AE list for the Derby. Wonder why they don't have one?

Doc

chickenhead
05-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Pletcher is taking up space himself, he should have a litle talk with his other owners.

Valuist
05-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Agree 100% on that as Bluegrass Cat and Keyed Entry are both basically no-chancers taking up space.

This one could be controversial but I'd like to see a committee of handicappers decide who gets in and who doesn't. Either that, or like Matt Carruthers suggested, do away with the 2YO graded earnings. I think that would be a step in the right direction.

Doc
05-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Valuist, I don't think a panel of handicappers would be a good idea, as their selections would be open to lots of criticism, as are the Eclipse Award voters each year. At least graded stakes earnings indicate that a horse has some semblence of class. Plus, who would pick the handicappers that would pick the horses? Seems like it would get too political...

Skanoochies
05-03-2006, 03:15 PM
I think a points system is due. Different points awarded for class of races, more points awarded for three year old races, 1 1/8 and 1 1/16 races receive more points than mile races or shorter etc. Time to weed out some of the ones that had a development edge as a two year old IMO. :jump:

Valuist
05-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Doc-

I'm aware that it would draw criticism and it would be subject to debate. Another idea would be to have the Las Vegas Sports Consultants decide. I've always felt that they'd be far better off seeding the NCAA tournament than a bunch of old guys who start watching college basketball in February. They put their money where there mouth is every day.

There's several problems with the graded stakes earnings. First off, the grading of races in North America is highly questionable. For instance, the Arkansas Derby, which in the past 2 years has produced Smarty Jones, Borrego, Purge, Afleet Alex and the horse who won last years Travers is a Grade 2......the same as the Lane's End, which came up terrible. Secondly, 2YO graded earnings should not be counted. Anything run at less than 1 mile is totally irrelevant.

Maybe Pletcher has nobody to blame but himself but he's caught in the middle. God knows what the connections of Keyed Entry are thinking.....

Ron
05-03-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't think an AE list is a good idea because as we've seen 20 horses is way too many. If a couple of horses scratch between now and post time, consider it a blessing.

Tom
05-03-2006, 06:00 PM
They've all had the same time to qualify. If they haven't by now, they probably aren't real contenders anyway.

I agree on the AE thing - 20 is a joke. Anyone dropping out would be great.
I say - one gate - 14, let it go at that. This is the Derby, dammit, not a merry-go-round! :p

michiken
05-03-2006, 06:32 PM
1. Jazil Jara Kiaran McLaughlin

2. Steppenwolfer Albarado Dan Peitz

3. Keyed Entry Valenzuela Todd Plechter

4. Sinister Minister Espinoza Bob Baffert

5. Point Determined Bejarano Bob Baffert

6. Showing Up C. Velasquez Barclay Tagg

7. Bob and John Gomez Bob Baffert

8. Barbaro Prado Michael Matz

9. Sharp Humor Guidry Dale Romans

10. A.P. Warrior Nakatani John Shirreffs

11. Sweetnorthernsaint Desormeaux Mike Trombetta

12. Private Vow Bridgmohan Steve Asmussen

13. Bluegrass Cat Dominguez Todd Plechter

14. Deputy Glitters Lezcano Tom Albertrani

15. Seaside Retreat Husbands Mark Casse

16. Cause to Believe R. Baze Jerry Hollendorfer

17. Lawyer Ron McKee Ron Holthus

18. Brother Derek Solis Dan Hendricks

19. Storm Treasure Flores Steve Asmussen

20. Flashy Bull Smith Kiaran McLaughlin

fouroneone
05-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Wow!

19th for Bro Derek.

Gonna be an interesting start

fmhealth
05-03-2006, 07:52 PM
I don't believe there's an AE list because of the early betting. Some tracks start taking bets tomorrow (Thurs) so any eventual AEs wouldn't be available at that time. Just a thought.

kenwoodallpromos
05-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I predict Baze will bump into McKee out of the gate and McKee will in turn take out Brother Derek, so no matter who wins there will be a big controversy!

Skanoochies
05-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Ken.......If Baze turns right into McKee, McKee will be bumping Storm Treasure, cause Bro. Derek will have two lengths on them at that point. :lol: :lol: :lol:

GeTydOn
05-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Everyone knows the deal. For the Derby you need graded stakes earnings. THere are plenty of graded stakes that go by with small fields. Trainres are afraid to face "tough" company. Running second to Brother Derek a couple of times might have been good enough to boost earnings for a Derby start. But nope! No one wanted to face him. Tough shit! You don't plan - you ain't having a party.

mainardi
05-04-2006, 12:38 AM
I agree on the AE thing - 20 is a joke. Anyone dropping out would be great.
I say - one gate - 14, let it go at that. This is the Derby, dammit, not a merry-go-round! :p
Each and every year in recent memory, it's the only race that I can't handicap with my software... unless I throw out enough horses to get to 14... and we all know how well we do in throwing out horses. :liar:

Tom
05-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Hey Joe,
Run the first 10 then the next 10.
Put the two together for the exacta! :lol:

Tom
05-04-2006, 08:06 AM
That was a good show for the draw. Kenny Mayne had a calssic:
"The only time he ran a bad race, they gelded him. You know he'll run his best race Saturday!" :eek: