PDA

View Full Version : Beyer Transcript on Derby

karlskorner
05-03-2006, 09:16 AM
http://www.drf.com/tc/kentuckyderby/2006/chat_beyer.html

kenwoodallpromos
05-03-2006, 01:25 PM
"Q: Andy, was the Wood figure tough to do, considering it was the the only two turn race of the day?
Andy Beyer: Yes., Mark Hopkins, who does our New York figures, initially made it several points lower. In fact, many of the days of key prep races were somewhat ambiguous from the speed-figure standpoint, particularly the Illinois Derby. It came up giant, and we scaled it downward to a more plausible number, 109. Now I wonder if that figure was even a little high. Alas, this is not always an exact science."
I always look forward to Andy Beyer reviewing Beyer Speed Figure Making.

Valuist
05-03-2006, 03:52 PM
I view that as a positive. Rather than be stubborn and not admit they've made a mistake, they're being proactive. Would Ragozin be that flexible? How about the data inputter for BRIS. Of course BRIS is the one who gave Sweetnorthernsaint a speed figure that defied logic. The Illinois Derby is run at a distance Hawthorne rarely cards, so whatever it was assigned was bound to be questioned.

kenwoodallpromos
05-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I like the suggesting combo bets.

Fastracehorse
05-03-2006, 06:20 PM
"Q: Andy, was the Wood figure tough to do, considering it was the the only two turn race of the day?
Andy Beyer: Yes., Mark Hopkins, who does our New York figures, initially made it several points lower. In fact, many of the days of key prep races were somewhat ambiguous from the speed-figure standpoint, particularly the Illinois Derby. It came up giant, and we scaled it downward to a more plausible number, 109. Now I wonder if that figure was even a little high. Alas, this is not always an exact science."
I always look forward to Andy Beyer reviewing Beyer Speed Figure Making.

I always say they aren't perfect but that they are good enough ( speed figs ).

How can anyone possibly quantify a horse's speed to a decimal point anyways?? And then determine this piece of data being 100 % relevant to today's race - at least 99.9 % of the time this precision would be irrelevant.

kenwoodallpromos
05-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Right now with the PP's out I like 2 of Beyer's trifecta picks, Barbaro and AP Warrior; I wil put Private Vow with them, subject to change!

toetoe
05-03-2006, 09:10 PM
How about a blank for a distance run only once that day?

kenwoodallpromos
05-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Right now with the PP's out I like 2 of Beyer's trifecta picks, Barbaro and AP Warrior; I wil put Private Vow with them, subject to change!
Congrats Andy!