PDA

View Full Version : Question for P.A. on views?

twindouble
05-01-2006, 04:58 PM
I touched on this question before, just want to get it through my thick head. :confused:

Before you locked that thread, someone was questioning where all the members went. So my question is, when you register but don't sign in and you just view, is that recorded? Plus say I sign in scan different threads but elect not to post is that recorded as a view? Plus when I don't log out but shut down for the day, am I still listed as being here?

The reason I ask is because I think the traffic is much higher than one would think taking into account the number of posts or members on at any one time don't reflect the true picture, If I'm correct. I liken it to owning a restaurant that has 100 seats, 25 are empty but you have a few thousand patrons out there that will stop in through out the MO. Views, post, pit stops or cherry picking.

Thanks,

T.D.

kenwoodallpromos
05-01-2006, 05:35 PM
I touched on this question before, just want to get it through my thick head. :confused:

Before you locked that thread, someone was questioning where all the members went. So my question is, when you register but don't sign in and you just view, is that recorded? Plus say I sign in scan different threads but elect not to post is that recorded as a view? Plus when I don't log out but shut down for the day, am I still listed as being here?

The reason I ask is because I think the traffic is much higher than one would think taking into account the number of posts or members on at any one time don't reflect the true picture, If I'm correct. I liken it to owning a restaurant that has 100 seats, 25 are empty but you have a few thousand patrons out there that will stop in through out the MO. Views, post, pit stops or cherry picking.

Thanks,

T.D.
Maybe the "lurkers" are like customers at the drive-up window!
Youl'd be amazed at the numbers of websites I visit without signing a guestbook! My guess is, the cookie helps keeps things recorded.

karlskorner
05-01-2006, 05:57 PM
I was the one who questioned where did all the old posters go to and I think PA took it as a personal affront to this site. I don't doubt the stats he quoted and I am quite sure this is the most popular site on horseracing on the net and the numbers are vast, mostly visitors. Since I and several others go back before the switch over in 2001, I was only wondering why many of the old posters failed to stay on. Not that PA can controll it and he mentioned other sites that have the same problem, but I reasoned that many previous posters are tired of having their posts after 6 or 7 entries take off in a completely different direction. There are many ways to handicap a horse race and I don't think some of the posters appreciated being called moron, stupid or idiot, just because they posted their methods.

twindouble
05-01-2006, 07:04 PM
I was the one who questioned where did all the old posters go to and I think PA took it as a personal affront to this site. I don't doubt the stats he quoted and I am quite sure this is the most popular site on horseracing on the net and the numbers are vast, mostly visitors. Since I and several others go back before the switch over in 2001, I was only wondering why many of the old posters failed to stay on. Not that PA can controll it and he mentioned other sites that have the same problem, but I reasoned that many previous posters are tired of having their posts after 6 or 7 entries take off in a completely different direction. There are many ways to handicap a horse race and I don't think some of the posters appreciated being called moron, stupid or idiot, just because they posted their methods.

I find that there's very little of that going on here, most are gentlemen and educated enough to let you down lightly. :D PA does a good job of keeping us in line and on topic most of the time, so we go astray now and then that don't matter. If you can dig up my very first post here, that will explain why I took a shot and came here.

T.D.

Sailwolf
05-01-2006, 10:24 PM
[/b]

I find that there's very little of that going on here, most are gentlemen and educated enough to let you down lightly. :D PA does a good job of keeping us in line and on topic most of the time, so we go astray now and then that don't matter. If you can dig up my very first post here, that will explain why I took a shot and came here.

T.D.

Have you looked at Big Mack's threads or Selector's threads? Even PA is stating a word or two.:cool:

PaceAdvantage
05-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Have you looked at Big Mack's threads or Selector's threads? Even PA is stating a word or two.:cool:

Not sure what you're trying to imply here. Did you think I acted inappropriately with these two posters?

As for views, I believe that even guests who aren't registered or who aren't logged in will still be counted in the view count when they look at a post.

As for shutting down for the day, but not logging off of the board, after 30 minutes of inactivity, you will be delisted. The actual time may be more or less, but no, you will not be listed here after a certain amount of time.

kenwoodallpromos
05-02-2006, 01:00 AM
IMO, this forum is getting more polite.
The worst toward me is an opinion called "amatuerish".

Sailwolf
05-02-2006, 04:02 AM
Not sure what you're trying to imply here. Did you think I acted inappropriately with these two posters?

No, I was replying to a person who stated almost all of us were gentlemen or most of us were. I was trying to state that some of us can get a little "hot under the collar" and pointing out two examples. I was not stating that the examples stated were worse than others in this board.

When someone states that another person is a ..., I think that description crosses a line.

twindouble
05-02-2006, 11:01 AM
[QUOTE=karlskorner]I was the one who questioned where did all the old posters go to and I think PA took it as a personal affront to this site. I don't doubt the stats he quoted and I am quite sure this is the most popular site on horseracing on the net and the numbers are vast, mostly visitors. Since I and several others go back before the switch over in 2001, I was only wondering why many of the old posters failed to stay on. Quote;

There's many reason why some posters come and go. The biggest is when forum decorum totally breaks down. PA is well aware of that so I'm sure he won't allow that to happen.

The other is time constraints along with repetition with the exception of important races coming up. I've noted some posters will drop out then show up months latter. When it comes to repetition, in my opinion racing isn't all that complicated unless your involved in handicapping software and extreme stats that are constantly being revised for one reason or another.

My thinking was because I didn't have time constraints I'll go ahead and repeat what I said knowing very well the topic was discussed last MO, Last year or last week. I have no clue who's lurking or what they are looking for, saves them the time going back over everything that was said here. I think it's rude to say to a new comers go check out this thread or that thread to get your answer or go read so and so's book on the subject. Hell we would have very little to talk about with the exeption of bitching about jocks, trainers, callers or the industry as a whole. Well, there's been a lot said about the latter but here again it don't hurt to cover the same ground and other changes that come about.

Another reason lurkers and others don't jump in or hang around in is intimidation and I would say there's more of that here than any other forum I've been on, that's complmentry to the forum. In my opinion the best thing the knowledgeable connected professionals on any forum can do is not talk down to posters and not separate themselves forming their own club house. Sure, it's natural for people to group off with those that have a lot in common but I find it's not below them to participate in the General handicapping discussions here but they can be intimidating to some. Take the little guy for example.

Good luck, I have some yard work to do.

T.D.