PDA

View Full Version : Cant get some live audio/video on laptop

andicap
05-01-2006, 12:53 PM
For some reason, the video at ESPN.com and CBS Sportsline's live feed does not come up on my laptop, although it works fine on the PC. Using IE on the laptop and have enabled all cookies, unblocked popups, made it a "trusted site." etc.

This is happening with other live audio streaming at other sites too.

Any hints to solve problem???

JimG
05-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Hi Andy,

Assuming it uses Media Player, re-download the latest version 10 of Media Player, then re-boot and try again.

Jim

njcurveball
05-01-2006, 01:55 PM
If you look under tools and then options, you should see a tab for Network. There are four options here that may be checked or un-checked.

Multicast
UDP
TCP
HTTP

There are also streaming proxy settings. I have the top 3 checked and HTTP un-checked. I also have Autodetect for all the options undeer streaming.

I played around with these when my Media Player wasn't working to find the right combo. Hope this helps you!

Jim

andicap
05-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the ideas -- i'll try them.
As far as the amount of the buffering time -- I have it set to 5 seconds. Is that good?

JimG
05-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the ideas -- i'll try them.
As far as the amount of the buffering time -- I have it set to 5 seconds. Is that good?

I have "use default buffering" checked.

Jim

njcurveball
05-01-2006, 02:46 PM
I am using 60 seconds for that option. Play around with it and see what happens.

Jim

JustRalph
05-01-2006, 03:11 PM
I am using 60 seconds for that option. Play around with it and see what happens.

Jim

depending on your connection, the slower.......the more buffering you want. Just remember when it comes to "post time" and getting shut out on bets........if you are buffering two minutes, you are two minutes plus whatever the normal delay is.............behind.............

andicap
05-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Ah, that's why my BRIS feed is generally 45 seconds or so behind TVG!

bedford35
05-13-2006, 01:32 AM
Andicap,

Were you able to get the audio/video to work? I am curious because I have had the same problem with a new laptop. This has Windows Media Player 10 on it and I thought it must be some settings in it that may be causing the problem. Did you try the suggestions from Njcurveball in post #3 about the network settings in Media player? Did it help?

Thanks.

bedford35

andicap
05-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Nope hasn't worked.
Can't figure it out. My next step is to compare the desktop and laptop's settings word for word to see if there's any difference.

Could there be a codec that I'm missing??

Storm Cadet
05-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Where / how do you change the buffer time in Real Player? My Bris and my NYRA feeds are about 30-45 seconds behind live TVG.

JustRalph
05-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Where / how do you change the buffer time in Real Player? My Bris and my NYRA feeds are about 30-45 seconds behind live TVG.

Start Real Player.
Choose the 'Tools' menu, then select 'Preferences'.
Click on 'Connection'.
Select 'Playback Settings', then choose 'Buffer' settings.
Set the buffer time to 30 seconds.

Storm Cadet
05-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Ralph:

All I have under tools>Connection>then I have a bandwidth connection setting, a network timeout setting and a online status detect. I'm assuming they changed it from buffer to network timeout setting. But do we change the network or server time? Right now I'm at 20 seconds for connection and 90 seconds for server.

Thanks

Ron

BTW I'm using Real player version 10.5

JustRalph
05-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Storm, it appears that in the newer versions they are using a slightly different scheme than basic buffering. I found this on the realplayer site, closest thing to what we are discussing, I think. It appears they no longer let you choose a buffer setting, per se. They use the bandwidth setting as a guide. And they have invoked a software driven "test" button to automatically set the bandwidth for you...... let's hope it works

Below from the realplayer site

The best way to set your RealPlayer 10 bandwidth is to set its maximum bandwidth (connection speed) to the largest allowable setting. For example, if you have a 56K modem, you would set the bandwidth in RealPlayer to 56K. Your normal bandwidth setting should be set one level below it; if you have a 56K modem, you would set this to 33.6K.

Setting the bandwidth correctly is especially important when you play presentations that include a mix of streaming pictures, audio, video, and text at the same time.

To set the connection speed within the player:

1. In RealPlayer, click Tools and select Preferences.
2. In the Category pane, click Connection.
3. Under Bandwidth, set the Normal drop-down list to one level below the speed of your modem.
- If you are not sure of your connection speed, click the Test Connection button instead. This automatically sets your connection speed.
4. Make the Maximum drop-down list equal to your modem speed.
5. Click OK.

After you configure RealPlayer this way, it can manage streaming data so rebuffering can be avoided, and the clip can play smoothly and at the highest quality level possible.

Storm Cadet
05-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks RAlph.

Yes I've done that already to maximize my video. I thought there was something else to do> I wonder why my Capital OTB "live video" as well as Bris are always behind TVG live. Bris about 7-8 seconds and Cap OTB feed about 15 seconds.

Doesn't matter, I watch on TVG, and watch warm-ups on computer!

Thanks and I'll see you at Saratoga I hope!

Ron

trying2win
05-17-2006, 12:51 AM
ANDI,

I couldn't get the live videos to kick in most of the time at the CBS SPORTSLINE site, using WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER V 10. So, I backtracked and reinstalled WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER V 9. For some strange reason, the live videos work fine now at the CBS SPORTSLINE site. A real head scratcher.

T2W

andicap
05-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Interesting because on my desktop Win Media player 10 has no problem...weird.

bedford35
05-18-2006, 10:34 PM
t2w,

I was thinking of trying the same thing as using a new laptop with Media Player 10 I have been having problems but I never had issues using version 9(or older). Do you(or anyone) know if you can have both Media Player 10 & 9 installed at the same time or do you have to remove v10 before downloading v9?

Thank you.

bedford35

JustRalph
05-19-2006, 09:04 AM
have you guys installed all the codec's ?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/format/codecdownload.aspx

It is possible you have some damaged files...........this might help.

andicap
05-19-2006, 02:10 PM
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, how do you install them?

thanks, ralph.

JustRalph
05-19-2006, 03:10 PM
click the download link. You will download "WM9Codecs.exe" to your desktop.

double click it and wait........ it took about 30 seconds on my machine. It doesn't really show you anything......just pops up and says it is done.

Ponyplayr
05-22-2006, 07:36 PM
I was having the same video problems on my desktop. I installed Windows Media Player 11 Beta. Problem solved...Video is now crystal clear..no skips..halts etc.