PDA

View Full Version : NY Times article on Desormeux

garyoz
05-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Bill Finley has an interesting article in the New York Times about Kent Desormeux.
www.nytimes.com/2006/05/01/sports/othersports/01jockey.html?_r=1&oref=slogin (requires registration)

He said riding in Japan saved him from financial problems. Finley notes that his winning percentage fell when "A handful of new trainers emerged and started to dominate Southern California racing, and Desormeaux was not able to hook on with them. Even his established clients started to back off because they were never quite sure whether he would stick by them or jet off to Japan without advance notice. And, by his own admission, he never mastered the political side of the business.

The trainer Bob Hess Jr. said: "Most trainers, especially in Southern California, want to hear how great their horse is. A lot of these guys didn't want to hear the truth. He could have been a little more tactful, and that caught up to him."

Sailwolf
05-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Bill Finley has an interesting article in the New York Times about Kent Desormeux.
www.nytimes.com/2006/05/01/sports/othersports/01jockey.html?_r=1&oref=slogin (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/01/sports/othersports/01jockey.html?_r=1&oref=slogin) (requires registration)

He said riding in Japan saved him from financial problems. Finley notes that his winning percentage fell when "A handful of new trainers emerged and started to dominate Southern California racing, and Desormeaux was not able to hook on with them. Even his established clients started to back off because they were never quite sure whether he would stick by them or jet off to Japan without advance notice. And, by his own admission, he never mastered the political side of the business.

The trainer Bob Hess Jr. said: "Most trainers, especially in Southern California, want to hear how great their horse is. A lot of these guys didn't want to hear the truth. He could have been a little more tactful, and that caught up to him."

He had a problem a while back of standing up before the finish line and other related problems.

Indulto
05-02-2006, 02:05 AM
GO,
Thanks for the link. Here's more on Kent's SoCal woes.

Desormeaux Is Jockeying to Regain Position By John Scheinman
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/30/AR2006043000974.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/30/AR2006043000974.html)

‘…Yet all the natural talent, riding titles and triumphs can't offset the reputation Desormeaux has developed over the years for being arrogant, a malingerer, and, maybe worst of all, a person who never stops running his mouth. From the time he left Maryland, after a meteoric rise, for the big time at Santa Anita and Hollywood Park, his ability has been forced to compete with a penchant for self-sabotage.

"Everybody out here is pretty quiet," said James Cassidy, a Southern California trainer who has stuck by Desormeaux. "He gets people angry with him. He'll get on a horse and ride the horse the way he wants to ride a horse. Guys were like, 'I don't want Desormeaux; he doesn't listen to me.' But it wasn't a hating thing. They just didn't want to deal with him."’

I always thought Kent was as good as P-Val on the turf and routes in general, but it looks to me like Frankel gave up on him, and I'd be surprised if it had anything to do with personalities.

JohnNUtah
05-02-2006, 03:35 AM
I have always like Kent and loved to see him move to NY. He rode the hair off some horses this weekend and I scored some nice hits with him. It looks like he has gotten back his enthusiam and natural feel for getting a horse to respond. He made some strong moves late in several races.

I wish he and his family the best, spoke with him once and he was very polite.

garyoz
05-02-2006, 01:44 PM
To me the Washington Post article puts his missing the morning workout of Sweetnorthernsaint on Saturday morning in a different light. Everyone on TVG was joking that he "overslept." He had flown in the night before in order to work the horse and didn't make it in for the workout. Looks like more self-centered behavior.

No question that he is riding well in NY, but you have to wonder if he is going to blow himself up eventually.

JustRalph
05-02-2006, 02:26 PM
spoke with him once and he was very polite.

:lol:

yep, I find that funny...........