PDA

View Full Version : Phillips Racing Newsletter

sligg
08-07-2002, 02:15 AM
I subscribed to PRN for over 20 years and it's still a crummy publication. There are too many gimmicks in the actual layout such has using 3 pages of filler material and when he comes to the bottom of a page he uses 3 or 4 lines to tell you that he is going to the next page. A cheap trick.

In all the years of it's existence, can anyone name one system that ever showed a profit. I wasted so much time following his system and method critiques-most of them phoney- that always led to failure.

There are more good ideas in one week of PA than PRN ever had in 30 years.

Lefty
08-07-2002, 12:31 PM
The value to me has been keeping me away from absolutely worthless stuff: RaceCom and Kram come to mind along with lots of worthless systems. A lot of the stuff they gave 7-8's too did have potential and i'm afraid that's the best we can hope for in any of this stuff.
Don't know of any system with fixed rules that will keep churning a profit.
Wonderful thing America, we can all have opinions and find a place to give them.
This is a great board.

John
08-08-2002, 03:21 PM
You sure are right. This board is the greatest only because some of you can feel the pain that some of us are in trying to find that magic black box and wiiling to put us on the right track by your past experience. Believe me it is appreciated

Topcat
08-08-2002, 10:58 PM
Sal,

Sadly you're right about PRN. They had the forum to really be something great. Barry Meadow did a little
expose on them a few years back but most of us had figured it out long before his article.

They just had so many systems returning large ROIs. I actully bought some they rated highly and tested them and they never came close to their claims.

They may have ranked the systems correctly but I doubt they ever actually tested. I liked the folksy way Russ (who passed away a few years back) and latter his son Allan wrote the newsletter and it kept me up on the latest books and t-bred events-other than that?

I took it for over 15 years I stopped taking it in '92. I don't think I mised too much.

TC

sligg
08-09-2002, 12:12 AM
At least twice a year I get a sales solicitation from them to renew my subscription. One time I took a four issue renewal, and to my surprise it was still crap. But the biggest surprise is that they are still in business. So many newsletters have come and gone, it's to their credit they are still publishing. They must be doing something right or horseplayers are just stupid. Aren't their workouts simply amazing!

Barry Meadows' newsletter is still around. I once subscribed for two years. It was interesting and informative but too expensive. Even Barry doesn't have the path to the Holy Grail.

Racing has gone through drastic changes, the New York tracks especially. They closed one half of the physical plant at Aquaduct and for the winter meet they get less tha 4,000 people. Even at Belmont as huge as it is, the attendance weekdays is just about 4000. Take away all the seniors (racing is an old man's game) and all that would be left is nothing.

In spite of declining attendance, the cost of attending the races has gone up. Going to the track on a daily basis is not worth the effort. Racing is a crazy game for crazy people-a genuine sucker's game where you pay for everything and the track gives you nothing for the privilege of taking your money.

Richard
08-09-2002, 08:38 AM
May I suggest that whosever's interested,go to www.trpublishing.com/p0000439.htm and read an excerpt from Barry Meadow's newsletter concerning PRN.It's interesting reading,whether you agree or disagree.

Bob Harris
08-09-2002, 12:41 PM
I agree with you Sal...there are some interesting newsletters on the market (Meadow, Cramer, etc) but they are a bit pricey. I'm sure they're not cheap to produce so I understand the need to charge what they do.

I mentioned to Barry that a book containing the best articles and concepts from his newsletter might have an audience...he said he was working on a book, while not really a "Best Of", which would contain a few of the better concepts and ideas brought up in his newsletter. There will always be a segment of the market which is unwilling to shell out 10-12 bucks an issue but would be more than happy to shell out 40-50 bucks for the best "nuggets"....might as well tap into it.