PDA

View Full Version : A Polytrack Derby and Breeders Cup?

Valuist
04-29-2006, 12:41 PM
http://www.whas11.com/derbyrace/stories/WHAS11_DERBYHORSE_cdpolytrack.76ebabbe.html

PaceAdvantage
04-29-2006, 01:25 PM
I just don't get it....I don't get it at all.

The thoroughbred horse racing industry has got to be one of the SLOWEST adopters of change in all of sport. Hell, we STILL haven't upgraded our IT infrastructure even in the face of the "Fix-Six" scandal that marred racing's biggest day.

Yet, here we have track after track practically tripping over themselves to install Polytrack, something that WILL fundamentally alter the game (whether for good or for bad is still something yet to be determined).

There MUST be a huge financial benefit to installing Polytrack. That is the only reason I can conjure why so many tracks are so willing to make such a radical change so quickly. Even tracks steeped in tradition such as Keeneland and Churchill (HOW LONG DID IT TAKE FOR KEENELAND TO GET A TRACK ANNOUNCER?)

And don't tell me they are all doing this because of safety concerns for jockey and horse. If the industry cared so much about the jockeys, Gary Birzer and his wife wouldn't have been featured on Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel this month.

After reading about what Polytrack is composed of, does anyone for a minute think that breathing in "Polytrack kickback" is healthy for horse or human? And I'm talking LONG TERM effects here....not something you'd be able to conclude after only a couple of years of use.....

TravisVOX
04-29-2006, 02:09 PM
The poly is cheaper in that you don't have as many guys working on the surface each day. This article, I think, is just a reporters attempt to get in there and find out about Poly. Is CD seriously considering it? I doubt it.

kenwoodallpromos
04-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Travisvox is correct about the mass labor savings- but I believe the price is going up tremendously right now, so the initial outlay may slow down the bandwagon.
As far as breathing in the stuff, it may affect the horses, but wouldn't the jockeys be on the track a couple of more times per month than the horses, and be easier to measure the affect since with the machines and oral feedback? Are the jockeys complaining?

Indulto
04-29-2006, 03:41 PM
I just don't get it....I don't get it at all.

. . . There MUST be a huge financial benefit to installing Polytrack. That is the only reason I can conjure why so many tracks are so willing to make such a radical change so quickly.

. . . And don't tell me they are all doing this because of safety concerns for jockey and horse. If the industry cared so much about the jockeys, Gary Birzer and his wife wouldn't have been featured on Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel this month.PA,
The CHRB's primary focus was on increasing field size -- and the safety issue appeared to support that orientation (safety for horses, that is) -- but SA's recently concluded meet seems to have provided some contrary feedback. I wonder if the number of breakdowns also decreased.

I don't remember DMR having a field size problem in recent years, but Fravel sure seems to have a hard-on for Polytrack.

I don't doubt HOL would benefit from a surface change even though it seldom rains during the summer meet, but your Polytrak paranoia has prodded me to prefer to see your point of view promoted.

Ponyplayr
04-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Polytrack will drastically reduce the liability insurance costs for the tracks that install it. As well as significantly reducing the Workman's Compensation costs.

Tom
04-29-2006, 04:34 PM
You would probably never see the effects in horses, and jockeys would most likely not show anything for years. People breathing in stuff from plastic in factories don't just get sick in a few weeks.

kenwoodallpromos
04-29-2006, 06:09 PM
There is one sure way to make sure your horse never breathes in Polyparticles- wire the field!! :D

ezpace
04-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Polycrap eom

RXB
05-01-2006, 12:13 AM
"The individual ingredients in the Polytrack surface, as well the surface itself, are fully compliant with environmental standards in both Europe and the United States."

Got a problem with it? Talk to the EPA.

This stuff has been used at various training facilities in England-- that's where the horses spend most their time, by the way-- for 10 to 20 years and there are no reports of plastic sickness.

PaceAdvantage
05-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Got a problem with it? Talk to the EPA.

Oh, I wouldn't go there my friend. Is this the same EPA that told the NYC rescue workers that the air around the World Trade Center was "safe" after 9/11?

Polytrack has been in extensive use in Europe since 1986?

RXB
05-01-2006, 12:52 AM
Since 1987 at one location, and since the early 1990's at a number of other locations. Everyone's just fine so far...

I was glad to see the EPA bit got the response I wanted. :jump:

If you're really concerned about environmental and health issues, think of all of the water that will be saved as a result of Polytrack implementation.

PaceAdvantage
05-01-2006, 12:58 AM
If you're really concerned about environmental and health issues, think of all of the water that will be saved as a result of Polytrack implementation.

Actually, as far as this case is concerned, I'm only worried about horse and rider. I have personal reasons for this. My grandfather died as a result of exposure to asbestos back in the 40s and 50s, when they thought that was safe....

Reading what Polytrack was composed of, and seeing the dust that is kicked up as they ran at Turfway (even though they claim there is less kickback....didn't look like that was true at times), made me think about the potential dangers of inhaling these types of artificial substances over any lengthy period of time.

I still think it's a valid concern, and one not to be taken lightly. In the vein of one Mr. Lawrence Peter Berra, "We don't know what we don't know until we know it." And by that time, it's usually too late....

RXB
05-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Sorry about your grandfather. Asbestos was nasty stuff.

If I see science saying "Polytrack shown to be dangerous" then I will withdraw my support for it, but to-date there's been no such indication.

Valuist
05-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Having it for a training facility is completely different than for a racing venue. During training, horses are more or less by themselves, maybe alongside a work mate. During a race, there could be a grouping of 4-5 horses kicking back those particles to the faces of the riders and horses.

I just remember hearing all the great things about Equitrack in the late 80s. Who's to say its impossible not to happen again?

PaceAdvantage
05-01-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm not against Polytrack, let's get that straight. I'm for anything that has been shown to improve safety for both horse and rider. Who wouldn't be? Just watching some of the breakdowns at Aqueduct this past week or two makes you wonder why this has to happen so frequently....Evangeline has had some nasty breakdowns lately as well....

However, we've been running on dirt for ages. A couple more years is going to really make a huge difference while wait to see a few more meets run on some "test" tracks like Turfway?

I don't understand the rush, that's all. Especially given the dearth of empirical data available. You can't compare us to Europe if you're looking for stats, and you can't rely on one race meeting......the sample size is just way too small to rely on....

dutzman
05-01-2006, 07:12 PM
I think the main reason Keeneland is going to put it in is they have a financial interest in the company that sells Polytrack.....not sure what percent. Hell, if the owners don't use the stuff, how the hell are they going to sell it to other tracks.

PaceAdvantage
05-02-2006, 12:41 AM
I think the main reason Keeneland is going to put it in is they have a financial interest in the company that sells Polytrack.....

Ahhhh....the plot thickens.....