PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bubbles Mock Draft

Bubbles
04-28-2006, 03:48 PM
As an official sign of my life revolving around sports knowledge and/or boredom, I have compiled my own mock NFL draft 24 hours before the real one starts. Here we go...

1) Houston Texans: Reggie Bush (RB, USC): Is this the smartest pick to make in terms of building a team? No. But it'll put people in the stands, and they'll be able to deal Domanick Davis to fill other needs. It works for the owner, but oh, that offensive line...

2) New Orleans Saints: D'Brickashaw Ferguson (OT, Virginia): Up until they signed Drew Brees, visions of Matt Leinart or Vince Young in the bayou were dancing in my head. But they filled that need, and now they fill another with Ferguson.

3) Tennessee Titans: Matt Leinart (QB, USC): People have been saying that Young will go here, but I have my doubts. Never believe what anyone in a front office says in April regarding the NFL. Leinart's worked with Chow before, and he knows the system.

4) New York Jets: Mario Williams (DE, N.C. State): The Jets dealt John Abraham in the off-season, and this monster end fills the void. Mangini's 3-4 scheme would definitely benefit with this guy around.

5) Green Bay Packers: A.J. Hawk (LB, OSU): With Brett Favre coming back, this team needs to show a dedication to winning in 2006. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a wideout or Vernon Davis here with Walker's current situation in mind, but Hawk is the best player available, and he'll help this pitiful defense.

6) San Francisco 49ers: Vernon Davis (TE, Maryland): With Brandon Lloyd gone, Alex Smith needs a new target to throw at. This guy is a beast of an athlete and the best receiver in the draft. His blocking needs work, but that's about the only con he brings to the table.

7) Oakland Raiders: Haloti Ngata (DT, Oregon): I know Vince Young's name has been tossed around a lot here. Forget it. The Raiders have plenty of weapons on offense, they need a defense that can allow offenses to win the game. Ngata is the run-stopper that can contribute to that.

8) Buffalo Bills: Vince Young (QB, Texas): Seriously, who does this team have on offense besides Willis McGahee? Moulds is gone, and Evans is going to draw some serious coverage now that there's not really a #2 guy to worry about. Young can make plays, which is something Buffalo is going to need.

9) Detroit Lions: Michael Huff (S, Texas): He's a very versatile safety, something the Lions defense really needs. Huff is quick and hits hard, and he also will be a great fit into the Tampa 2 defense.

10) Arizona Cardinals: Jay Cutler (QB, Vanderbilt): They signed Edgerrin James, and they have a wide receiving core that is very, VERY fun to watch. All they need is a quarterback who can get them the ball when they need it, not someone who take his time and gets sacked too often.

11) St. Louis Rams: Jimmy Williams (CB, Virginia Tech): The guy can move and cover a lot of ground in a hurry. Some character issues have arisen, but this is the team that drafted Lawrence Phillips, for crying out loud. Talent will overshadow conscience in the war room.

12) Cleveland Browns: Manny Lawson (DE/OLB, N.C. State): This team has problems on defense, no question about it. This guy is versatile and a great pass rusher that can help patch up the issues in the front seven.

13) Baltimore Ravens: Winston Justice (OT, USC): Jonathan Ogden, one of the premier linemen in the NFL, is getting older, and he needs to start grooming his replacement. Justice can definitely be that guy, which is one of the main needs Baltimore has.

14) Philadelphia Eagles: Chad Jackson (WR, Florida): With the whole T.O. situation over and done with, Philly can now concentrate on someone to fill the void and give McNabb the target he needs. Jackson's a big-time playmaker, and can start contributing immediately.

15) Denver Broncos: Santonio Holmes (WR, OSU): Rod Smith isn't getting any younger, and Ashley Lelie is very inconsistent. Holmes has game-breaking speed and can help out on special teams. With Jackson off the board a pick before, this is the guy to take.

16) Miami Dolphins: DeAngelo Williams (RB, Memphis): Ronnie Brown has a lot to prove with Ricky Williams suspended again. They've filled their huge need for a QB with Daunte Culpepper, and an insurance policy in the backfield certainly wouldn't hurt, especially by taking the #2 back in the draft.

17) Minnesota Vikings: DeMeco Ryans (LB, Alabama): It's a shame that they didn't lose more games. They really would have loved a chance to get Vince Young or Jay Cutler to replace Culpepper, and they still might trade up. Their next need is at linebacker, and Ryans fills it with his versatile play.

18) Dallas Cowboys: Kamerion Wimbley (DE, FSU): It'd be smart to take a #2 wideout here behind T.O., but there's nobody good enough to get at #18. Wimbley'll open up opportunities for DeMarcus Ware, who was vicious in his rookie season.

19) San Diego Chargers: Tye Hill (CB, Clemson): They traded Sammy Davis, and are down to three cornerbacks on the roster. This is obviously their primary need, and Hill is probably the best guy to fill it.

20) Kansas City Chiefs: Antonio Cromarte (CB, FSU): It's the same old story with Kansas City. A great offense marred by a terrible defense. Cromarte has soft hands and blazing speed, and just might be the player that can spur an improvement in the defense.

21) New England Patriots: Chad Greenway (LB, Iowa): This guy is all about hustle. If anything impresses Bill Belichick, it's that. The loss of Willie McGinest makes drafting a solid linebacker imperative, and that's what New England does here.

22) San Francisco 49ers: LenDale White (RB, USC): A mild surprise here. There's no denying what he can do on the field, but his work ethic is a question mark. However, he admitted to getting calls from SF today on ESPN, and the Niners definitely need punch in the backfield.

23) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Ernie Sims (LB, FSU): Three Seminoles in the last six picks. Sims has the speed and ability that reminds the staff of Derrick Brooks. There are personality issues here, but it shouldn't deter Sims from donning a Bucs jersey late in round 1.

24) Cincinnati Bengals: Tamba Hali (DE, PSU): This team needs an improved pass rush, and with Justin Smith becoming a free agent in 2007, Hali could join Geathers and Pollack as another young rusher off the edge.

25) New York Giants: Sinorice Moss (WR, Miami): They signed Lavar Arrington, they need no help on the defensive side of the ball, except maybe at corner. Moss gives the G-men a #2 guy that can stretch the field for Plaxico Burress, something New York has needed.

26) Chicago Bears: Bobby Carpenter (LB, OSU): This guy could have gone near Hawk had he not gotten injured late in his career at Columbus. He'll provide a strong presence in the front 7 for Chicago, which is always welcome.

27) Carolina Panthers: Laurence Maroney (RB, Minnesota): Stephen Davis is gone, and DeShaun Foster, while promising, is injury-prone. A running back would give Carolina the fallback plan they need. If DeAngelo Williams is still on the board, the upper brass will be salivating.

28) Jacksonville Jaguars: Leonard Pope (TE, Georgia): This gives Leftwich another target and a playmaking tight end, both of which are needed in Jacksonville. At 6'7", he'll be tough to outjump, and should be a fine player at the next level.

29) New York Jets: Nick Mangold (C, OSU): Kevin Mawae is out of the picture for the Jets, and they need someone to step up and anchor the offensive line. This guy can block and lead, making him an attractive option. The Jets could also draft a back like Brian Calhoun, but with the #4 pick in the second round, they'll probably wait and grab what can fill the most immediate need.

30) Indianapolis Colts: Brian Calhoun (RB, Wisconsin): They lost Edgerrin James, and they need to fill that need to give Manning the versatile offense he needs. Calhoun is a promising power back, and can block when needed.

31) Seattle Seahawks: Kelly Jennings (CB, Miami): The reigning NFC champs need to draft a few DB's, and this speedy one is who they want to start alongside Marcus Trufant. They could also take a speedy safety like...

32) Pittsburgh Steelers: Jason Allen (S, Tennessee): This guy has great speed, size, and presence in the secondary. He'll replace Chris Hope and do it well as the Steelers go for two titles in a row.

rastajenk
04-29-2006, 05:05 AM
Looks like you missed the top pick, which will affect the second one tremendously, and the third, and so on..... ;)

:cool:

Good effort; two things jumped out at me. One, how do parents deliver unto their child a name like D'Brickashaw? Two, lots of Buckeyes in your list. That's a good thing. (I'd like to see the Bengals pick up Mangold, but I haven't heard any chatter that he's even in their picture.)

santanajimi
04-29-2006, 06:23 AM
Houston sports radio was pretty crazy last night...It was about 10-1 against drafting Super Mario..oh well.....another bad yr coming up. :confused:

Bubbles
04-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Trust me, the inclusion of Buckeyes had absolutely NOTHING to do with my opinion of OSU (Michigan fan all the way)...LOL.

On a side note, what are people thinking? Williams goes first, and now the Saints, who already have a very good running back in McAllister, are going for Bush instead of picking up someone that can fill a bigger need very well? Ridiculous.

Buddha
04-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Trust me, the inclusion of Buckeyes had absolutely NOTHING to do with my opinion of OSU (Michigan fan all the way)...LOL.

I don't know if I will be able to talk to you up at Toga anymore now. I can't believe you like that team up north. (wheres teh vomit smilie :))

BillW
04-29-2006, 01:29 PM
On a side note, what are people thinking? Williams goes first, and now the Saints, who already have a very good running back in McAllister, are going for Bush instead of picking up someone that can fill a bigger need very well? Ridiculous.

Bubs,

They're drafting in the top 5 for a reason. :D

JustRalph
04-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Crazy Draft......... Donte Whitner in the top ten?

Michigan? Come on ?

Buckeyes dominate the draft............. :jump:

toetoe
04-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Ratz,

I'm with you. Why not choose safe, classic names such as DeMeco, Kamerion, Sinorice and Santonio? :confused: :)

michiken
04-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Michigan fan all the way.

Go Blue!

ElKabong
04-29-2006, 10:41 PM
BillW sez >>They're drafting in the top 5 for a reason...

Bill,
Funniest thing I saw on hornfans.com today was the following post, mocking Tagliabue @ the podium...."With the third pick in this year's draft, the Tennessee Titans select the Houston Texans to be their bitch".

Casserly should be run out of town, but that shoulda happened long ago. VY was the natural choice. Ticket sales being one reason, the chance that VY develops into a superstar being the other.

Of course the head coach of Hou is an aggy now....best that VY goes elsewhere anyway ;)

Bubbles
05-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Post-mortem on the NFL Draft...

What the heck is Buffalo thinking?! They draft Donte Whitner with their first pick. This is a guy who had no business going in the top 15, and he goes before Matt Leinart. Look at it this way: They're trusting their offense with J.P.-Freaking-Losman. Marv Levy should be fired this instant.

If Steve McNair doesn't come back, the Titans will be forced to throw Vince Young into the fire way too soon. The pending deal with the Ravens may come back to bite them in the rear end. On the plus side, they got LenDale White in the second round, and he's got the potential to be one heck of a back.

Manny Lawson, Chad Jackson, and Winston Justice slipping like they did is laughable. They'll prove a lot in their first seasons.

The Giants got the DE from BC with their first pick. Once again, a joke. A few potentially-great wideouts were on the board, and they instead take a guy at a position where they're the best at in the NFL now. Sure, Strahan's getting old, but he's got another season or two left. If guys that can fill huge needs are on the board, like Jackson and Moss, you take them first. They should have waited until the later rounds.

Valuist
05-01-2006, 04:54 PM
I think New Orleans had to take Bush. Deuce McAllister hasn't lived up to expectations and is coming off a torn ACL. I think it will only help Bush to get to run on that artificial carpet.

nomadpat
05-01-2006, 09:58 PM
How about the Packers trading away the pick that NE used to get Chad Jackson and then turning around and trading Javon Walker for Denver's second a pick later and trading it away to ATL?

Note: I'm not complaining since I live in Denver and love us getting Javon Walker, just didn't understand why GB made moves like that. :)

Valuist
05-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Green Bay had zero bargaining power once Walker publicly demanded a trade and stated he'd never play for the Packers again. I'm actually surprised they were able to get what they did, considering how Walker held them hostage.

Imriledup
08-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Interesting now to see how this shook out.

ezrabrooks
08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Chicago Bears: Bobby Carpenter (LB, OSU): This guy could have gone near Hawk had he not gotten injured late in his career at Columbus. He'll provide a strong presence in the front 7 for Chicago, which is always welcome.

Hey Bub...you had good company on this one...(Bill Parcells)..