PDA

View Full Version : Amazing? Anyone Have Any Insight on 4th at ATL Today?

Turfday
04-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Vanity Fair was 9/2 on the morning line, went off at a nothing unusual 5.60 / 1 and paid $16.20 to SHOW ?????

03 Vanity Affair Colonial Affair Molina V H Preciado Ramon 9/2

In the 4th race at Atlantic City today, the above horse was 9/2 on the morning line. 9/2. I double checked this. I'm absolutely amazed at that show price.

This horse goes off about 6/1, runs third and PAYS $16.20 to SHOW ? I also double checked the show price. Here are the mutuel payoffs:

8 Opusculo (CHI) Julian Pimentel 7.20 4.00 3.00
1 I Testify Josue M. Beltran 6.00 4.00
3 Vanity Affair Victor H. Molina 16.20

Steve 'StatMan'
04-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Wow. No official insights, however, looking at all the charts, the betting pools are likely extremely small. Can't see show pools on the Equibase chart, but the Exacta pools are running around $6,000, and the Tri pools around $2,000-5,000 in the earlier races. I wonder if that show pool made it up to $300? ATL wasn't on YouBet, so I didn't have a source to see the final pools.

Small Pools = Wierd Payoffs I guess.

Drew
04-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Atlantic City has on-track wagering only. I don't believe they are simulcast.

bettheoverlay
04-26-2006, 07:50 PM
I live in NJ, and I bet over our internet, in-state only, 4njbets, and they don't even offer AC on that! Have to be very few people on track, so the pools must have some wild discrepancies.

I'm off work tomorrow and live 45 minutes away, so I might take one last look at the old track where I cut my teeth on handicapping in the 70s- night racing. I think I was using Ainslie's Private Method back then.

peakpros
04-26-2006, 09:24 PM
I also spent many nights there in the late 70' and early 80's.

I was there today after a 25 year hiatus. Surrounded by malls and housing now. A friends horse was running and we were surprised at how well the walking ring and turf course were. The weather was perfect.

It brought back allot of memories. Including Mary Bacon and Rochelle Lee.

A nice way to spend a day with Monmouth 2 weeks away.

Doc
04-27-2006, 08:50 AM
My brother and I used to love to do the "Jersey Double" during the '70's - spend all afternoon at Monmouth, then hop on the Parkway and head down to AyCee for the nightcap, sometimes scraping together change for the tolls for the trip back home. Wow, some great memories of those cheap J-bred affairs and those jockeys - Buck Thornburg, Mike Gomez, Gee Cantagallo, Matt Vigliotti - quite a rogue's gallery, to say the least.

And Bob Weems, Monmouth's announcer, would also drive down to AyCee to call the card. I really liked the way Weems called a race - no nonsense, without all the fluff and fancy stuff, just the facts, ma'm.

Ah, to bring back those good 'ole days!

Doc :)

TOOZ
04-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Not to mention Don Brumfield, Mickey Solomone, Jimmy Edwards, Vince Bracciale, Walter Blum, Carlos Barrera. Then a few years later Eddie D and Craig Perret. Much better than the Antley, Krone and Bravo win 30 percent years.