PDA

View Full Version : Look who got whipped at GG

RXB
04-23-2006, 12:29 PM
http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChart.cfm?TID=GG&CTRY=USA&DAY=D&DT=04/22/2006&STYLE=EQB&RACE=8&BorP=B

Jeff P
04-23-2006, 01:58 PM
So now the Breeders Cup Sprint winner AND Lost In The Fog have come back to be upset within the same week in their return races... Now that's interesting.

-jp

RXB
04-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Actually, Silver Train has gone down twice now. First time back was at GP.

GlenninOhio
04-23-2006, 02:17 PM
The first running of the Golden Gates Fields Sprint.

Looks like they wrote another race just for Fog, though it did demand that he carry 125 pounds.

RXB
04-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Watch for this condition next:

The Bay Area Sprint-- For Three-Year-Olds and Upward which have never been clocked in under 44 seconds to four furlongs; or whose initials are LITF. Purse $150,000.

GlenninOhio
04-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Watch for this condition next:

The Bay Area Sprint-- For Three-Year-Olds and Upward which have never been clocked in under 44 seconds to four furlongs; or whose initials are LITF. Purse $150,000.

Love it! :lol:

OTM Al
04-24-2006, 11:14 AM
As opposed to Silver Train's Efforts I don't think LITF did all that bad for a first back in about 6 months. A sub 44 half mile is pretty darn fast anywhere, even for the expressways in CA, and he showed a lot of fight before he finally gave way. He may have been wound just a little too tightly for this one. It is hard sometimes to tell on TV but he did look pretty wet going into the gate too. I expect him to run back strong in his next out.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Handicappers are an odd lot when it comes to horses that do very well and put together long win streaks. We complain about no super horses anymore, but whenever one shows some ability and starts winning alot, all we seem to do is bash them based on whatever figures/systems we use that say the horse really didn't run so good. For one, I hope this guy just starts bashing away at the competiton and comes across the line first at Churchill in November.

ryesteve
04-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Interesting race. When's the last time you saw a quinella pay $2.10?

OTM Al
04-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I believe the chart listed it as a negative quinella pool as a matter of fact, so technically it was even worse than that

GMB@BP
04-24-2006, 03:01 PM
I think LITF ran much better then Silver Train did in their races, and Carthage is a better horse then the Lake horse who beat silver train

Observer
04-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Carthage actually looks like a really nice sprinter who is only getting better. So what he once ran for a claiming tag?? John Henry used to be a claimer .. and he's one of the all-time greats of the horse racing game!!
:jump: :jump:

Carthage has won 7 of his last 10 starts, including each of his last 4 after beating Lost in the Fog. He was claimed ($32,000) in 2004 at Del Mar, was patiently handled through 2005, with just three starts: October, November and December. In the December start, he was offered for $62,500.

He is 3-for-3 in stakes company this year .. and in each of his last 4 wins, he has won in good time, and has easily handled the competition. This weekend, he brought the battle to Lost in the Fog, and he kept on surging to a clear victory. Nice effort! And I'm certainly looking forward to more from this 6-year-old.
:jump: :jump:

delayjf
04-27-2006, 04:18 PM
25.36 final quarter, they really walked home. I wonder what the speed figure for the race was. I would not give up yet on LITF.

cj
04-27-2006, 04:37 PM
I gave the race a pace figure of 120, and a speed figure of 105, Beyer scale.

kenwoodallpromos
04-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Definition of an ex-climer who wins a stakes race=
A horse whose owner knows nothing about racehorses.

jballscalls
04-27-2006, 05:33 PM
I sure hope LITF comes back and runs well, he was really great for racing last year criss crossing all over the country and winning all those races. And i sure hope they dont keep him in the bay all summer long.

freehouse2002
04-27-2006, 07:55 PM
I sure hope LITF comes back and runs well, he was really great for racing last year criss crossing all over the country and winning all those races. And i sure hope they dont keep him in the bay all summer long.
I hope so too. Horse gets a lot of crap everywhere, like if he's was never going to lose. He did a lot as a 3yo, shipping all over the place to win races. So he didn't win the BC, or his comeback.....big deal. I think we still have a lot to look forward to.

BTW jballscalls, hows the gig at Beulah goin?

freehouse2002

jballscalls
04-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Hey Freehouse,

I'm actually at River Downs in Cincinnati, and its going really well, i'm having a blast, still can't believe they pay me to do this.

freehouse2002
04-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Duh, should've paid more attention at TC. Keep up the good work. Maybe you'll be calling races in So. Cal in the future!

freehouse2002

GlenninOhio
04-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Definition of an ex-climer who wins a stakes race=
A horse whose owner knows nothing about racehorses.

I think this is way too general a statement, particularly when you're talking the $62,500 claiming level.

The owners who know nothing about race horses are generally found in the (rather large) group who refuse to run their horse for a tag and then relent only after the horse has gotten beaten silly so many times that he's mentally whipped and can no longer outrun a fat man.

Many times a dip into the higher level claiming ranks is just what the doctor ordered for a horse that needs a confidence builder that can help build future succeses. My guess is for every owner who agrees to do this on a trainer's recommendation, five will refuse for various reasons, all related to them and their egos as opposed to their horse's welfare.

Sure, there are some situations where the trainer and the owner misjudge a horse's talent and drop him into the claiming ranks unnecessarily. But that's only a problem if the horse gets claimed.

Finally, I don't know why you single out the owner as being the fool in these situations. Usually it's the trainer who pushes to run for a tag.