PDA

View Full Version : A Bribe by any other Name

rrbauer
08-03-2002, 12:12 PM
is still a Bribe.

Now we find out that Bob Baffert is receiving a $50k "appearance fee" for sending War Emblem to the Haskell; and, we are finding out now that Baffert also received a $50k "appearance fee" for sending Point Given to the Haskell last year.

At Hollywood Park trainers were given $150 for each horse they entered on the Friday night cards at this year's spring/summer meet.

I thought the point of the game was to win races and earn your money as a result of competition. Guess not. One more handicapping factor to consider: Is the horse here to do some serious running; or, is he here to give the trainer a little "walking-around" money?

superfecta
08-05-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by rrbauer
is still a Bribe.

Now we find out that Bob Baffert is receiving a $50k "appearance fee" for sending War Emblem to the Haskell; and, we are finding out now that Baffert also received a $50k "appearance fee" for sending Point Given to the Haskell last year.

At Hollywood Park trainers were given $150 for each horse they entered on the Friday night cards at this year's spring/summer meet.

I thought the point of the game was to win races and earn your money as a result of competition. Guess not. One more handicapping factor to consider: Is the horse here to do some serious running; or, is he here to give the trainer a little "walking-around" money? Lets see,risk the health of a multi -million dollar horse for walking around money?I don't see it.A bonus is more like it,much like increasing the size of the purse to lure a good horse.Besides ,most of the other horses bailed because of him,(see Jim Dandy).It would be nice if these guys would compete against each other for the sport ,but it isn't gonna happen too much.

rrbauer
08-05-2002, 11:34 AM
superfecta wrote:Lets see,risk the health of a multi -million dollar horse for walking around money?I don't see it

Comment:
I agree with regard to War Emblem, besides Baffert needs "flyin' around" money! I also think that paying trainers an appearance fee or whatever you want to call it still amounts to a bribe. And, 10% of 500-large, or whatever the winner's share of the purse amounts to, is not enough?

The "walkin-around" money remark was aimed at the HOL practice of spiffing the trainers $150 for each horse entered on their Friday night cards. It's an easy way to pick up a few bucks for running an "also ran".

ranchwest
08-05-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by rrbauer
superfecta wrote:

Comment:
I agree with regard to War Emblem, besides Baffert needs "flyin' around" money! I also think that paying trainers an appearance fee or whatever you want to call it still amounts to a bribe. And, 10% of 500-large, or whatever the winner's share of the purse amounts to, is not enough?

The "walkin-around" money remark was aimed at the HOL practice of spiffing the trainers $150 for each horse entered on their Friday night cards. It's an easy way to pick up a few bucks for running an "also ran".

Nothing easy about running a horse at 10pm and then checking your horses at 5am (get up at 3am). Donnie Von Hemel told me the biggest thing he didn't like about LS was the night racing.