PDA

View Full Version : Connie Chung show on racing tonight

andicap
08-02-2002, 04:40 PM
Connie Chung will have a segment on the dangers of racing tonight. The guest will be a jockey (I don't know who).
8 and 11 p.m. ET.

andicap
08-02-2002, 04:42 PM
Oops. that's on CNN.

Rick
08-02-2002, 05:06 PM
What's their axe to grind? I have a feeling that something is going to be badly distorted when the media covers horse racing.

gillenr
08-02-2002, 05:25 PM
The only time any news media deal with any non-mainstream(meaning they don't make any money from it) subject, it usually is to trash it. A&E tho', has had a few good shows. But I won't watch "The Clinton News Network".

Rick
08-02-2002, 05:43 PM
Well, I don't want to encourage Boxcar to do a 3000 word essay on this, but the media is about 80% liberals who think that racing is cruel and pointless. Everyone seems to have an agenda these days, and reporting the truth is not necessary because "the end justifies the means". I've noticed lately that many news stories are omitting relevant facts if they don't correspond to the usual agenda. No, I'm not much into conspiracies, but this is something that's really happening.

JimG
08-03-2002, 08:21 AM
Connie Chung did not let Randy Romero talk about what I thought was the most interesting thing said. Romero is not trying to get 5 lbs added to the high end of the weights, but to the low end. Chung completely dismissed that statement and the report focused on horses having to carry more than 122 lbs. and how that could be harmnful.

I guess where Romero is aiming is rather than carding races for say 115lbs and then making weight allowances....card the race for 120lbs and then make the same allowances.

Anyone else see the piece?

Jim

andicap
08-03-2002, 09:57 AM
I didn't see it -- CNN screwed me up with the timing of the 3 am show I tried to tape -- I'll get a copy on Monday and review it. Maybe it will make a column for me since Chung was talking about a subject I finally know something about.

Sounds like another bashing of horse-racing.....

freeneasy
08-03-2002, 11:26 AM
hey andi, who do you write for anyway?

andicap
08-03-2002, 04:02 PM
The Hollywood Reporter, but I'm based in NYC

boxcar
08-04-2002, 08:01 PM
Rick wrote:

>>
Well, I don't want to encourage Boxcar to do a 3000 word essay on this, but the media is about 80% liberals who think that racing is cruel and pointless.
>>

Fear not. You have it about right.

Boxcar

andicap
08-04-2002, 09:26 PM
Heres the link to the transcript. It's near the bottom.

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0208/02/cct.00.html

There was nothing on here that really bashes horse racing per se in my opinion. It's the argument of whether they should change the weight system the Jockey Club uses to allow jockeys to weigh five more pounds. Nowhere does anyone say racing is inhumane to animals or a bad industry. It's about jockeys.

To tell you the truth I find very few stories in the "liberal" media that criticize horse racing. Mainly the media ignores racing except around the Kentucky Derby or when there's a Triple Crown possibility. I know lots of media types and no one has ever told me -- after I said I was fan -- how cruel it was to the animals (the exception: animal loving women often take exception to it, but I point out that if they eat meat, chickens or fish, they can't criticize anything else involving animals. Believe it or not I'm not a big fan of PETA -- often times animals are the best way by far to test for vaccines and other human medicines. They are beyond liberals, they are on the lunatic fringe. Most liberals do not "hate" horse racing. Rather they don't really ever give it any thought).

Lefty
08-05-2002, 01:40 PM
Well, Clinton's mother was a horseplayer and the world would've been better off if he'd followed that path instead of politics.