PDA

View Full Version : safe?

46zilzal
04-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Study: Depleted uranium could damage DNA

DOD officials say exposure not a health risk to troops

By Leo Shane III / Stars and Stripes

WASHINGTON — Depleted uranium, used to harden vehicles and armor-piercing munitions, might cause damage to DNA in ways previously not understood by health officials, according to a recently released study from Northern Arizona University.

The research could again raise questions about the military’s use of depleted uranium, a practice Defense Department officials insist does not present health risks to troops. The dense metal is a by-product of the nuclear fuel enrichment process.

PaceAdvantage
04-17-2006, 12:56 AM
If ANY government agency (be it Federal, State, Local, whatever) goes out of its way to tell me something is SAFE, that only makes me more nervous.

Case in point -- the EPA telling folks the air at ground zero right after the 9/11 attacks was "safe."

Yeah, right.....but then again, did you really need the EPA to tell you the air wasn't safe? Common sense tells you it is going to be very UNSAFE. EPA's got balls though......the gov't (as has been the case THROUGHOUT HISTORY) assumes, for whatever reason, that people are DUMB, and that anything the gov't proclaims will be taken as gospel.

Unfortunately, their assumption is for the most part, shockingly accurate....

Tom
04-17-2006, 01:15 AM
At one point, we thought asbestos was safe.
It just takes to long to really know on some things, and then there is cost. And businesses operate today, not tomorrow. Death, taxes, and the fastest, cheapest way by business are all certainties.
Someone weighs the risks - our health against thier profits and the cost of settlements. Scary thought, but it goes on every day.

Heck, when I was a kid, they actually used x-ray machines in shoe stores to fit your shoes!
Anyone remember that! You stood on a little plate on the floor with no protections.

(What do a call a kid who has had too many x-rays of his feet? Neil ! :lol:)

Lefty
04-17-2006, 11:41 AM
X-Ray machines for shoes? That sounds weird. Hey, wait, I remember that.
I also remember cigarette commercials on TV and back in the fifties Perry Como was hawking(Pall Malls, I think) ands actually said, "Folks, they're not only good, they are good for you."
My, times they are a changin...

Steve 'StatMan'
04-17-2006, 06:31 PM
At one point, we thought asbestos was safe.

In the movie The Wizard Of Oz, the "snowflakes" that Dorothy and the cast had landing on them when they 'slept' and then were frolicking in were actually asbestos flakes!

Tom
04-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Buddy Ebson (Jed Clampet) was the original Tin Man - the paint they used for make up almost killed him. And they even used Flying Monkeys at on point!

so.cal.fan
04-17-2006, 08:34 PM
"And they even used Flying Monkeys at one point"!

That is really shocking! Where was PITA?