PDA

View Full Version : YouBet and DRF?

Maxspa
04-14-2006, 08:08 PM
All,
Received an email from DRF suggesting that I take a look at YouBet for my betting purposes. Isn't this unusual for DRF to recommend a company in an email? Although I looked up some YouBet threads before this post, what is the opinion of the group regarding this betting company. I have a hard time having to pay for the use of their services on a monthly basis. Many of the other offtrack betting services do not have this fee.
I'm looking for some feedback regarding the offtrack betting users on board.
Thanks in advance for your input!
Maxspa

michiken
04-14-2006, 09:23 PM
It is all about the MONEY.

Obviously, the DRF is trying to increase its profits and prolong its extinction by promoting the IE only Ubet..

/me says pass like a long bomb.

the_fat_man
04-14-2006, 09:39 PM
It is all about the MONEY.

Obviously, the DRF is trying to increase its profits and prolong its extinction by promoting the IE only Ubet..

/me says pass like a long bomb.

There are safer (and more efficient) options for the user than IE.

YouBet chooses to ignore them (or has a tech staff of idiots)
Yeah, they're at the forefront of the industry.
I just love their new virtual racing site. (IE all the way, baby).

Why support them?

As for DRF,

they're busy trying to nickle and dime people with their monthly plans

(I love the one where you get 20 PPs for the month ---of course, if you only play a single track, this wouldn't quite be a complete month ---last I heard, there are 12 months to the year. )

Tracks really need to provide FREE basic PPs to bettors.

Those wanting the fluff (figures, trainer stats, etc. ) can pay for it.

Those in charge (of the above mentioned companies) really need to (relax the editorializing and) take a look at the online product put out by the Hong Kong Jockey Club. It puts their products to shame and is free.

Only in America.

PaceAdvantage
04-14-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't believe it costs anything to use YouBet provided you actually bet some $$ every month....the minimum amount you need to wager to get free service is very small, so anyone should be able to use YouBet for free, as long as you are actually wagering....

I've been using IE from the beginning, and never had the desire to look elsewhere for a different browser. Go figure....

Tom
04-14-2006, 11:40 PM
I don't believe it costs anything to use YouBet provided you actually bet some $$ every month....the minimum amount you need to wager to get free service is very small, so anyone should be able to use YouBet for free, as long as you are actually wagering....

I've been using IE from the beginning, and never had the desire to look elsewhere for a different browser. Go figure....

Thrillseeker? :D

Seriously, you are an accident waitng to happen, and it won't be pretty. Just by going to a website now can infect your machine if you are using IE.

BTW, YouBet has technical idiots? I agree cojpletely - talking to them on the phone makes me fele like a Rhodes scholar. They must help DRF program Formulator!:kiss:

PaceAdvantage
04-14-2006, 11:43 PM
My browser has been hijacked exactly twice....both times it took about an hour or two to clean up....

I feel for those who don't have the technical know-how to recover from such an attack, and if switching browsers prevents such things in the future, more power to ya....BUT, I just prefer using what I've always used....creature of habit am I.

Tom
04-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Hmmm.
That sounded like a put down! :eek:

PaceAdvantage
04-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Not a put down....especially to you....

I'm quite certain there are many things you are adept at that would ultimately leave me looking like (as Tiger would say) a "spaz"

QuarterCrack
04-15-2006, 12:09 AM
I primarily use Firefox as my browser.
But I have no problem using IE for Youbet.
Hopefully at some point Youbet will support Firefox.
In the meantime, it's no big deal.
It's funny - the ONLY thing I use IE for is Youbet.

the_fat_man
04-15-2006, 12:29 AM
Well, some are more technically gifted than others.

Others, like myself, are just teched out, and LAZY. I just want something that works consistently ---not something I need to fix constantly. So I take some very basic precautions that experience has taught me actually work.

I don't like patching and with MS, all you do is patch. (Update THIS, Gates.)

Which is fine but with each patch
not only is an additional patch required
but increasingly more funky things happen. (Let me take yet ANOTHER minute to send an error report to MS cause IE has shut down again cause I updated ---yeah.)

So, I have an 'out of the box' install that I never upgrade. To its credit, it's incredibly stable (almost like running unix).

As for IE: who knows how many holes there are in that code.

I can recover just as well as anyone BUT
why do I want to waste the time doing so? I'm fat and lazy, remember.
Do I really need to be tracking down trojans that were installed behind the scenes when I visited a site with active x enabled? I really want my machine hijacked and used in attacks on the web. Okay, this won't happen cause I have an applications firewall but you get the drift.

Do I need to be scanning for viruses. Most I can catch but what if I'm slipped one that erases my harddrive?

I can always reinstall.

But I'm FAT and Lazy

So, I'll just use Mozilla.

What's YouBet's excuse?

The chairman is going on and on about the new developments at YouBet (blah, blah, blah) and you can only access them with IE. :lol:

I have so much confidence in YouBet (almost as much as I do in MS)

Bala
04-15-2006, 12:36 AM
I primarily use Firefox as my browser.
But I have no problem using IE for Youbet.
Hopefully at some point Youbet will support Firefox.
In the meantime, it's no big deal.
It's funny - the ONLY thing I use IE for is Youbet.
Avant Browser at <<<http://www.avantbrowser.com (http://www.avantbrowser.com/)>>>

Based on the Trident rendering engine. Same as IE's engine but far more secure. Yes, Avant does work on Youbet.

Firefox is based on the Gecko rendering engine. You will experience intermittent problems on some sites that are IE only. Microsoft's site and Banking sites just to name a few. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_comparison

Bala
04-15-2006, 12:49 AM
"My browser has been hijacked exactly twice....both times it took about an hour or two to clean up...."
Should never happen. Your security settings are probably set to low.
Have you disabled or prompt activeX?
Disable installation of desktop items
Disable display mixed content
Disable launching programs and files in an Iframe
Disable navigate sub-frames across different domains
Disable Userdata persistence

Tom
04-15-2006, 02:11 AM
Not a put down....especially to you....

I'm quite certain there are many things you are adept at that would ultimately leave me looking like (as Tiger would say) a "spaz"

Just kidding...use IE on one machine becasue FF will not wrok - and FF on the other becasue I can.
Computers are some alien plot to fry our brains in preperation of an invasion.
I am already golden brown! :lol:

mikejlb
04-15-2006, 05:02 AM
Avant Browser at <<<http://www.avantbrowser.com (http://www.avantbrowser.com/)>>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_comparison

I couldn't get the comparison link to work but I installed the Avant browser tonight. I found it very easy to install and use. I used Wintasks to check both IE and Avant and it appears that Avant is using around 20% of the resources that IE used. I am sleepy and might have read the memory part wrong but I think it does use much less bandwidth compared to IE.

Thanks for sharing the info on this.

cj
04-15-2006, 05:12 AM
My browser has been hijacked exactly twice....both times it took about an hour or two to clean up....

That's two to four hours I don't have...I'll stick to FireFox. :)

Hammerhead
04-15-2006, 06:59 AM
I don't know enough about firewalls etc. I have none and have been using ubet for years. I still use there disk version and on occasions online and have yet to have a hicup.. But then I don't scan the internet or visit any sights except PA ubet and the Equisim site. Don't care about going elsewhere and probably never will. I spend 10 - 15 hrs unline at a wack and have not had any problems. Visited Newsday site once and was inundated with crap e-mail.
I also do all my banking online and have had no problems. I believe it's the advertising sites that eventually get you.

xfile
04-15-2006, 07:24 AM
I don't know enough about firewalls etc. I have none and have been using ubet for years. I still use there disk version and on occasions online and have yet to have a hicup.. But then I don't scan the internet or visit any sights except PA ubet and the Equisim site. Don't care about going elsewhere and probably never will. I spend 10 - 15 hrs unline at a wack and have not had any problems. Visited Newsday site once and was inundated with crap e-mail.
I also do all my banking online and have had no problems. I believe it's the advertising sites that eventually get you.

You can stop all that with a good spyware program. I use PCsafe malware and spyware detector. And I use Norton firewall and internet security. The combo seems to block all the "crap"

Maxspa
04-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Guys,
Thanks for taking the time to give some input on the YouBet-DRF situation. There seems to be a real push on DRF's part to be number one in the racing information area. New Formulator program, upgraded racing info, book promotions etc.
Along with HorsePlayer's magazine there is an emphasis on promoting off track betting in the U.S.A. rather than with offshore outfits. Could this be the case with DRF? Perhaps it is the ego DRF seems to have redeveloped, to be number one again in the racing community.
I for one would like to see their customer service be number one as well.
Maxspa

michiken
04-15-2006, 10:30 AM
I'll stick to FireFox.

Just a reminder that Firefox 1.5.0.2 (http://mozilla.com/) was released this week....

Users should upgrade. I have found it smoother running and it seems to use less memory.

Tom
04-15-2006, 10:34 AM
FF intalled itself last night - I didn't not even know it was a new version unitl I read your post.

On the other machine, IE installed some things last night, too - I'll find out later this week when everyting once again crashes!

PaceAdvantage
04-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Unless and until the following graph changes significantly, I doubt YouBet execs have much to worry about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Browser_Wars.png

michiken
04-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Unless and until the following graph changes significantly, I doubt YouBet execs have much to worry about:

This is totally too funny. The graph you posted is a .png image which IE has horrible support for. I am surprised it even displayed.

It is even funnier that you chose to link 'wikipedia' which runs on a linux server, promotes open source software. The GNU Open Source license is even under the graph.

You should have posted a link to a MS shill site like CNET.:D

PaceAdvantage
04-15-2006, 11:32 AM
I think you might be missing the point....

Have you ever considered how technically advanced YouBet's website is compared to what else is out there? Have you ever used the website to wager? I have. I have accounts at multiple wagering sites, including BRISbet.

YouBet is hands down the best looking, best functioning, and most informative wagering website in existence. Perhaps their cutting-edge technology can only be implemented through IE. Maybe IE was the only platform with which they could accomplish all they wanted to with their site....I don't know, I'm not really much of an internet programmer....

There must be a good reason why it is only compatible with IE. Even though it is a small percentage, why shut out 10-15% of the market?

Bala
04-15-2006, 12:36 PM
"I couldn't get the comparison link..."

Wiki has been having some issue this week on some pages.
Try google cache page here: http://tinyurl.com/gv9aq (http://tinyurl.com/gv9aq) {browser comparison}

michiken
04-15-2006, 01:14 PM
1. MS does not have any technologies that they did not steal or borrow from the likes of Apple or Free BSD or others. The only thing they have is the monopoly on distribution. ActiveX technology is riddled with holes and I chose to move over to Linux when I got tired of popups, virus attacks and spyware.

2. If you have ever visited my site, I can do many of these same technologies with open source software (free stuff):

a. PHP is the scripting engine and runs on an Apache web server. It generates my html and serves up the pages efficiently.

b. GD is a open source program that I use to draw all my graphs and speed figure charts.

c. MYSQL is an open source database that I use to store the data.

d. AJAX which powers Google Maps and Google Earth can also be used. AJAX is a combination of Apache, Java, Java Script and HTML.

e. Many open source Mpeg video encoders could be used instead of the asf/asx/wmx/wmv formats.

f. Ogg or Flac encoders could be used for audio.

g. Using these methods, I can get web hosting for 10 bucks a month that comes with all these features built in. This way the site can run cross platform with any browser.

h. Brisbet uses the perl/cgi scripting platform. Works for them.

3. Ubet probably got in bed with MS for future Digital Rights Management. Unfortunately, they locked themselves into the MS monopoly. I applaud Bris and others for being cross platform.

4. I agree that brisbet site's layout hurt my eyes.... that awful green and gold scheme.... no worries anymore. Personally, I think ebetusa has the best site layout and it is not ActiveX.

Homey Don't Play That Anymore!

Murph
04-15-2006, 03:23 PM
I think you might be missing the point....

There must be a good reason why it is only compatible with IE. Even though it is a small percentage, why shut out 10-15% of the market?

The 10% to 15% you mention chooses to shut themselves out of the market by refusing to use microsoft products. There is nothing wrong with cross platform capability but I recommend no pity for those who chose not to use a product supplied with nearly 90% of computers sold in the US today.

The mozilla and unix/linix platforms are no magic elixir for operating anyones CPU just as microsoft is not always what you expect. You choose what you use for better or worse. Just my opinion.

Murph

Tom
04-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Murph,

For most users, it is a very good idea NOT to use MS browsers or email becasue MS does a pitiful job of security. They leave known holes open for weeks at a time because "they can."

Maybe you and Pa can fix things when they get attacked (inevitable) but 85-90% of us cannot. MS has a shameful record of protecting thier customers. Add to that irresponsible e-businesses that requrie your SS niumber on networkls that amount to unlocked doors and you have very real danger to the average computer user.

Maybe you live and breath computers, but many of us have real lives and expect a degree of security built in to our systems. I already spent 3-4 hours a week running the security tango - that is far to much IMHO. Would anyone stand for this if you had to do this with your cable TV every week?

It is actually irresponsible to use IE if you are not protected, and many times, there is no way at all to protect yourself with this browser.

And BTW.....MS is put on 90%+ of all new computers not because of MS technical superiority, but of MS business manipilations. I left to fair market choices, that 90% would be far lower. It is artificial. It is like saying people want high gas prices because 90% of them pay over $3 a gallon for it!