PDA

View Full Version : Allstate don't have pay claims for water damage,

twindouble
04-14-2006, 07:16 PM
In a suit the judge ruled they didn't have to pay for claims for homes damaged by water from Katrina because the policy only covers wind damage. The home owners get nothing. Now some explain to me how you can have a hurricane with no wind? :bang: Did I get that right? :confused:

Steve 'StatMan'
04-14-2006, 07:25 PM
In a suit the judge ruled they didn't have to pay for claims for homes damaged by water from Katrina because the policy only covers wind damage. The home owners get nothing. Now some explain to me how you can have a hurricane with no wind? :bang: Did I get that right? :confused:

I'm guessing if the home gets blown apart by wind, that's wind damage. Unsure if the winds blowing the rain would have that kind of water damage covered too. Guess they're using the flooding due to the breach of the sea-wall as flood damage, since the hurricane damage in that case was to the levee, not to the home. It still sucks for the homeowners and business owners.

Since when did the "Good Hands" become a masterbastion grip? :(

twindouble
04-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Without wind you don't have storm surge, rain or a hurricane, besides how do you seprate the wind damage from water damage? The home owners should get something just on that bases alone.

Ponyplayr
04-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Without wind you don't have storm surge, rain or a hurricane, besides how do you seprate the wind damage from water damage? The home owners should get something just on that bases alone.

You have to read your policy very carefully.
Be sure to ask if you covered in a flood and how your policy defines a flood.

twindouble
04-14-2006, 07:53 PM
You have to read your policy very carefully.
Be sure to ask if you covered in a flood and how your policy defines a flood.

That's why the suit was brought, they claimed the wording was to ambiguous to understand.

How about this,wind takes off a roof, everything gets ruined from rain, then the flood comes.???

Ponyplayr
04-14-2006, 08:04 PM
That's why the suit was brought, they claimed the wording was to ambiguous to understand.

How about this,wind takes off a roof, everything gets ruined from rain, then the flood comes.???
In order to get flood insurance you have to be in a flood plane. If you are not in that plane...no coverage for the damage caused.

If the roof blows off it should be covered everything else you eat.
You are asking good question's I recommend you pick up the phone and ask your agent the same questions.

twindouble
04-14-2006, 08:15 PM
In order to get flood insurance you have to be in a flood plane. If you are not in that plane...no coverage for the damage caused.

You are asking good question's I recommend you pick up the phone and ask your agent the same questions.

To be honest I never read my policy with loop holes in mind, I just figure my agent would do right by me, been with the same firm for many years. That case just got my attention.

Snag
04-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Instead of reading what is covered, ask them to explain the exclusions. This is the same for health and life insurance. Your agent can explain a lot of the weird words. If you still don't understand something, it can come back to haunt you.

twindouble
04-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Instead of reading what is covered, ask them to explain the exclusions. This is the same for health and life insurance. Your agent can explain a lot of the weird words. If you still don't understand something, it can come back to haunt you.

Their comercial says. "Are you in AllSTATES hands." Yes they got you by the throat. :lol:
The only thing I read in detail is the racing form, even with that I find it hard to pronounce the names. I just leave insurance to the wife, come to think of it, she's go more on me than I do her. :eek:

JustRalph
04-14-2006, 10:23 PM

If you are in a Flood Plane.........you have some serious problems......

floodplain...........maybe? Just ribbing you a little.......... ;)

Tom
04-14-2006, 11:14 PM
I once had fire and theft on my car - come to find out, I was only covered if it was stolen while on fire!:cool:

Ponyplayr
04-14-2006, 11:38 PM
If you are in a Flood Plane.........you have some serious problems......

floodplain...........maybe? Just ribbing you a little.......... ;)

Got me!:blush:

MikeDee
04-15-2006, 07:59 AM
To be honest I never read my policy with loop holes in mind, I just figure my agent would do right by me, been with the same firm for many years. That case just got my attention.
I am an insurance agent.

The agent represents the insurance company. Loyalty and longevity on your part will not get you favorable treatment when you file a claim. The insurance company will either accept or reject a claim based on what is covered or excluded in the policy. If a company rejects your claim your agent cannot make it right no matter how long you have been with him or the company.

twindouble
04-15-2006, 09:07 AM
I am an insurance agent.

The agent represents the insurance company. Loyalty and longevity on your part will not get you favorable treatment when you file a claim. The insurance company will either accept or reject a claim based on what is covered or excluded in the policy. If a company rejects your claim your agent cannot make it right no matter how long you have been with him or the company.

Yes your right, I wouldn't expect to be paid for something that isn't covered, it's the wording that's in question. When you have to go to court to get clearification, I'd say there's something rotten going on, wouldn't you?

I started out with an insurance broker and stuck with him, he picked the companys and what would suit my needs. When the broker says, this is what and who I have, well why look any further was my thinking. After dealing with the guy for so many years, I wouldn't put my insurance out to bid to save just a few bucks.

MikeDee
04-15-2006, 01:26 PM
When you have to go to court to get clarification, I'd say there's something rotten going on, wouldn't you?

No I don't. My guess is that it is very clear, they jusrt tried to say in court that it was not clear so it would be covered and they lost. I don't blame them for trying.

Insurance companies have been sued over claims thousands of times and they have had lots of practice to make the wording "water tight" I would be really surprised if they would loose a lawsuit because of confusing language.

Try this, pull out your homeowner policy and read the part about floods being excluded and see if you think it is unclear.

he picked the companies and what would suit my needs. When the broker says, this is what and who I have, well why look any further was my thinking

I am not suggesting the he did a bad job or that you are not properly covered, or that you should get another quote. I spite of your faith in him, I would still read the policy.

Snag said it best. Every policy excludes things. It is very important that you understand what is excluded. Then if the excluded item is important to you, you can probably buy some sort of coverage for that item.

twindouble
04-15-2006, 02:15 PM
I got it Mike, just at times I can be a trusting sole, ESP with people I like.

Thanks.

Big Bill
04-16-2006, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=Ponyplayr]In order to get flood insurance you have to be in a flood plane. If you are not in that plane...no coverage for the damage caused.

We are not in a floodplain (Florida) but we can buy flood insurance. In fact we had it for years and have since canceled it.

Big Bill

mainardi
04-16-2006, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=Ponyplayr]In order to get flood insurance you have to be in a flood plane. If you are not in that plane...no coverage for the damage caused.

We are not in a floodplain (Florida) but we can buy flood insurance. In fact we had it for years and have since canceled it.

Big Bill
It has been my understanding -- since my first home purchase -- that flood damage is not part of the standard home owner policy... not to be confused with water damage (from a burst water heater or pipes in the house).

In any event, you can pretty much get any kind of insurance that you believe that you need. In fact, if you want to pay for earthquake insurance in an area where there is no threat of earthquakes, I'm sure that you can find an agent to write you a policy... ;)

hurrikane
04-16-2006, 05:29 PM
I believe much of the distinction is where the water comes from

If the water fall from the sky then it could be considered hurricane damage and they might pay, but not under flood insurance.

If it comes up from the ground then it would take flood insurance to cover pay for it.

If you are in a flood plain you MUST buy flood insurance if you are in a state that participates in the flood insurance program. Otherwire flood insurance is your option and written with whole ton of exclusions.

fyi, storm surge in a hurricane is mostly caused by the low pressure causing the water to rise. the wind contributes but it is called 'surge' because of the water rising under the very low pressure atmospheric system of the hurricane.

This is why you can have hurricanes flood islands like Ocrakoke NC when the hurricane is off shore and there is no wind or rain.

back to the discover channel.