PDA

View Full Version : hawthorne park

andicap
06-03-2001, 04:52 PM
I'm in Chicago next Saturday with my brother. We always go to Arlington, a very nice track, but it's closed. What's Hawthorne like?
Can I take my teen-age nieces who love Arlington or is Hawthorne kind of a dump?

andicap

RECON
06-03-2001, 06:00 PM
YOU CAN GO TO A WORSE PLACE THAN HAWTHORNE, BUT BELIEVE ME, HAWTHORNE ISN'T ARLINGTON BY A LONG SHOT. REMEMBER, AS FAR AS ARLINGTON'S BUILDING AND LOCATION, IT DOESN'T GET MUCH BETTER.

Show Me the Wire
06-04-2001, 02:24 PM
Andicap:

Two totally different experiences. Comparing each track to each other is akin to comparing apples to oranges. Hawthorne is located in an industrial area. You have a nice view of the smokestacks and a view of the famous Chicago skyline.

Hawthorne is conveniently located just north off I-55 between Cicero and Central Avenues. The best place to view the races is 3rd floor clubhouse. Outside seating is not very good. Also there are two paddock areas. Depending on the weather the inside or outside paddock is used. Neither paddock is comprable to Arlington Park's paddock area, but you can get a good view of the horses.

Hawthorne is a safe environment, but not picturesque.

Regards,

Show Me the Wire