PDA

View Full Version : My Newest Hero

OTM Al
04-12-2006, 04:43 PM
The OTB/Restaurant I usually play at is a nice, clean place with friendly waiters and tellers and has a pretty regular crowd. Every once in a while though you notice someone new. Two weeks ago I noticed my newest hero.

My hero does not buy a program or even peruse the entries in the Daily News or the Post. He has a system. It is based on today's date. With equal touches of alchemy and 2nd grade math skills, my newest hero generates 3 numbers out of the date and boldly announces to anyone who would listen "My numbers today are 2-3-5". He then proceeds to use these numbers at any track that has a race coming up. Hawthorn, Aqueduct, Santa Anita, dirt or turf, he has them all mastered.

He is very clever however. He does not box these numbers. No. Instead he picks whichever is the chalkiest of the 3 and wheels the whole field behind it in an exacta! What strategy! That way no matter who comes in behind your magic number you score! No need even to know what the odds were on the other horses.

My newest hero is also deeply religious. He must always kneel before the monitor during the race as he calls upon his magic number to come in. And when it does, does he keep it to himself? No! He is a giving man who shares it with the world! "I got that!" he proudly proclaims as his 8-5 shot comes in ahead of an even odds horse.

My newest hero tried to save my friend Tom and I much time in our lives by trying to convince us that there really was no point in looking at PPs. I thought it was great for him to help out so. He is my newest hero. I wish there were a lot more out there just like him!

the_fat_man
04-12-2006, 05:21 PM
To quote the, eminently quotable, TRAYNOR (from the 'strategies' thread):

'I am increasingly convinced that viewing individual race lines out of the context of the race itself is misleading.'

The argument appears to be that betting horses without any regard to race data is more misleading.

This isn't logic so
of course
the difference is one of degree, not of kind.

Concensus as to a hierarchy of 'opinion justification' as it applies to racing appears impossible.

In this circle, it's all relative.