PDA

View Full Version : One thing I never understood...

sq764
07-30-2002, 02:42 PM
I could never figure out why both Saratoga and Del Mar chose Tuesday to be their day off. Wouldn't you think one would pick one day and the other pick another day? That way, they would be the lone 'priemiere' track for that day, and thus boost handle even more??

Dick Schmidt
07-30-2002, 05:40 PM
The choices were made long before any sort of inter-track betting. Del Mar was set up to copy Saratoga, and now it is cast in stone because "we've always done it that way."

Dick

ranchwest
07-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Traditionally most tracks were dark on Tuesday. I guess they must have figured it would have been a slow day.

Tom
07-30-2002, 08:08 PM
Neither Sar nor Del want to go up against Finger Lakes on Tuesdays. :rolleyes:

Dick Schmidt
07-30-2002, 08:42 PM
Tom,

Of course! I never though of that. The huge Finger Lakes following would swamp them both.

Back when I went to Saratoga every year, I regularly got my brains beaten in at the "Queen of Racetracks." Just couldn't get much of a handle on it. The only saving grace was that I could bet Finger Lakes, and I killed them there! What a cool little track. Always wanted to skip Saratoga and drive over to FL, but everyone looked at me like I was nuts. Still want to go someday.

Dick

Tom
07-30-2002, 10:14 PM
Anytime you want to go to FL, look me up....dinner and drinks are on me. I owe you.
Word of advice, don't eat any hot dogs with a number on them-try to order before the second race <G>
Seriously, there are so many two horse races it is silly - and usually one of the two is not a favorite. You can catch good prices on what would be obvious horses at Saratoga or Belmont.
The drop from $10,000 nw2l to $4,000 nw2l is deadly, and they ain't favorites, either. Last year, caught a $20 horse making this move. Next out, he was in for $10k nw3l, trailed, then dropped to $4k nw3l and romped home again-$30 this time.