PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Reports AND PickAndPlay

AwolAtPA
04-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Sun 9 Apr 6

hi Folks,

I understand that Crystal reports are sometimes a part of an Access installation. I use Access but not Crystal reports.

so, here is situation: A fellow handicapper wants to extract the horses name and rating done by Pick-And-Play (ref http://www.picksandplays.com/h158w325/index.cfm)

you do not have to sign up to see the reports. Just click on button --Past Results-- and choose a track.

When the report is printed or saved, the output is done by a Crystal Report viewer. If someone has experience with the Crystal report generator, then I expect this would be a trivial exercise to extract the horse's name and column labeled TOTAL (which is the magic PAP number).

aaah, about copyright, no this extraction would NOT be for republication or dissemination but rather for personnal research to find a bet. In other words, you would (should) not be in trouble for helping my fellow handicapper.

aaah, yes, I know that an HTML extraction could be done but I do not have time start a new data project.

so, any takers for extracting and sharing the data for research?

duane/Awol

AwolAtPA
04-10-2006, 12:31 PM
I goofed with the link to PickAndPlay

let's try home page: http://www.picksandplays.com/

and to the Results page:

http://www.picksandplays.com/pastresults.cfm

hmm, maybe SOMEDAY, I will learn how to do this forum posting stuff with an error count of zero!!

awol

hurrikane
04-11-2006, 09:28 AM
I've never seem CR shipped with Access.

simple solution is to print it to a text file from the website

AwolAtPA
04-11-2006, 01:40 PM
thanks for the suggestion Hurricane

however, I and other handicapper are using Windows XP and my set up for a Printer for the Print-To-File using text does not work!!

I have done this using Windows 95 and 98 and expected, no problem, just set up Generic Printer and print to text as I have done in the past. aaah, the Windows XP Home Edition (apparently) drivers do NOT produce a simple text file.

so, I plan to try again when I crank up an old laptop which has Windows 98 and try the exercise again.

meanwhile, Hurricane (or anyone)

if you have any tricks that work with Windows XP to get the Print-To-File as TEXT then please let me know.

duane

Donnie
04-11-2006, 04:50 PM
I went out, right clicked on a page, choose Convert to PDF. Opened the file, turned on the text select tool, drug thru one table of data to highlight it, then right-clicked again and choose Open Table in Spreadsheet.....everything is nice and neatly aligned in their own columns.

Tom
04-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Donnie,
What program did you do this in?

Donnie
04-11-2006, 06:35 PM
I use Internet Explorer, Acrobat 7.0, and Excel 2003. So I guess I right-click while Internet Explorer, and hit the option Convert to PDF. I save the file to my desktop, then open that file in Acrobat 7.0. They have a select text tool which I drag thru one of the races. Right clicking on the highlighted area will give you an Option of Open in Spreadsheet. Viola!