PDA

View Full Version : beyer's words of wisdom

46zilzal
04-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Just watched, for the umteenth time, the very good FRONTLINE show "The Other Side fo the Track" and Andy Beyer states something one should carry around in their wallet, or better yet, their heads: "If you have a chink in your psychological armor, this game will find it and exploit it."

Fellow says some wild things, but this is gospel...Just watch the movie "The Color of Money" where Paul Newman gets conned by his own ego to Forrest Whittaker as he lets down his guard for an instant.

The specter of the same thing awaits us all if we let our attention slip.

PaceAdvantage
04-10-2006, 12:59 AM
"If you have a chink in your psychological armor, this game will find it and exploit it."

Funny, I've heard almost the same exact line applied to trading stocks and commodities as well as POKER.....many similarities in all three endeavors...

rrbauer
04-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Regarding the venues mentioned, commandment number one is to let go of your eeeeggggoooooo!

twindouble
04-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Regarding the venues mentioned, commandment number one is to let go of your eeeeggggoooooo!

I've been drumming home the pit falls of ego driven players for many years now including racing forums. Now that Beyer got into the act, I can rest my case. :jump:

T.D.

Niko
04-10-2006, 02:30 PM
ain't it the truth, and if you tame one, the game will find the next one...but you can eventually learn to recognize and adjust them.

takeout
04-10-2006, 05:13 PM
I've been drumming home the pit falls of ego driven players for many years now including racing forums. Now that Beyer got into the act, I can rest my case. :jump:
That show is over 20 years old so you may still have some work to do. :D

That Beyer quote is the one thing I remember about the show. It’s so true!