PDA

View Full Version : No volume

BIG RED
04-09-2006, 04:46 PM
I have no volume?

Checked everything I know (not much) to make sure it is all on. Bottom icon says on, video screens I use are on, and went into connections, speakers etc, says on.

I have Bose speakers and headphones. Checked headphones thru speakers input and put directly in back computer input, still nothing. I'm lost? Can't get volume anywhere. Also waited when I shut down, and didn't get that windows sign off noise.

Any ideas? Sucks watching races without volume :mad:

KYJACK
04-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Here's a basic checklist to get you started and that might point to the problem:

I'm assuming that your computer's sound has been working, and has stopped (as opposed to never ever worked!)

1. Turn off your computer and speakers (if powered), for about 30 seconds.
2. Verify that your speaker's input plug, is inserted into your PC's "SPKR/LINE-OUT" jack and NOT the "MIC" or "LINE-IN" jack, on the back of your PC.
3. Boot up the computer and speaker, looking for any possible unusual error messages.
4. Right-click on the speaker icon in the lower right corner, and then left-click on the "Open Volume Control" entry (assuming you're using XP). Except for the 'Line-In' checkbox, ensure that none of the other mute checkboxes are checked.
5. While we're at it, look at the Speaker icon's "Adjust Audio Properties" entry for possible "out of whack" settings.
6. Make sure, that the volume controls are turned up as well.
7 Also, ensure that the volume control on the speakers are turned up, as well.
8. Insert a music CD into the CD drive and see if the computer will play it and you can hear something.
9. Think back. Has anything changed on your computer from when the audio was last working? e.g. installed new software like a music player? Or a system lockup/crash?
10. Try "Start | Control Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manager" (XP). Look for any 'Yellow Question marks' indicatng hardware problems. Also expand the 'Sound, Video & Game Controllers" entry. In-addition for "Yellow Question Marks", look for any entries that are listed more than once.
11. Try "Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Information". Then select "Hardware Resources | Conflicts/Sharing" Look for any unusual Audio related problems.
12. For "NT4.0, Win 2000, or XP" machines only, look at the Application and System logs for possible "Red" Errors. For XP - from the Control Panel, select "Administrative Tools", then "Event Viewer". look at the two logs for possible "Red" or "Yellow" messages that might be audio related.
13. You can probably skip this step, since you tried headpones, but wiggle along the length of your speakers input line - There may be a loose or broken wire inside. Try the speakers on another computer, walkman, or radio to see if they really work. For that matter - Make sure that powered speakers are actually plugged in and the power lite is actually on!
14. Use the power of the Google Search Engine http://www.google.com/. Enter search string like : No Sound.

Some sample Links that came up:

There is no sound coming from my sound card ?
http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/Boards/Soundcards/Diagnostics/nosound.htm

Troubleshooting sound issues
http://www.5starsupport.com/faq/sound.htm

Getting no sound from audio CDs
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000215.htm

Good Luck!

Jack

speedking
04-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Big Red, I recently lost sound after downloading service pack 2 for Windows. Needed to go to the mfg. web site and from them, get a link to updated drivers for the sound card. A windows update may have caused a similar problem on your machine. Could be worth checking.

speedking

BIG RED
04-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks to both of you for your help and time. I can't remember if I did a WU, but may have. Got it all back working again. Did a simple systems restore and didn't lose anything and got volume back. Did a WU after, and still have volume. Thx again.

BIG RED