PDA

View Full Version : Woodbine-based trainer discusses Polytrack

GlenninOhio
04-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Mark Casse, who saddled Bourbonette Stakes (gr. III) winner Top Notch Lady and second-place finisher Seaside Retreat in the Lane's End Stakes (gr. II) March 25 at Turfway, as quoted in April 8 Bloodhorse piece on Woodbine's plans to install Polytrack:

"It seems like a good idea, but I do have concerns that it may have a bearing on breeding.

"The early consensus is that turf horses seem to like it. There are two types of turf horses; those who like the firm going, and those who don't like any kickback.

"The true dirt horses - what we've been breeding for over 100 years - don't seem to do that well. But safety is the bottom line. This surface makes them last longer, and if we tear up our horses, what do we have left?"

BIG49010
04-09-2006, 10:09 AM
He knows about using up horses, so he should welcome it!:jump:

sjk
04-09-2006, 10:15 AM
The plan is to move for two months to the inner track and then to the new surface on the main.

Will make it tricky to make good figures x 2.

BIG49010
04-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Have they said what 2 months? I don't know what the rush is, I would wait until Oct. and Nov., when the racing stinks anyway.

sjk
04-09-2006, 10:29 AM
The Blood-Horse says they will move dirt from the main to the inner during 7/4-7/7 and run on the inner 7/8-8/31 when they hope to have the poly installed.

kenwoodallpromos
04-09-2006, 03:08 PM
I hop[e the abusive trainers decide to treat their horses better and not use Polytrack as an excuse to run them into the ground anyway. There will still be a base and horses' hearts will still pump many times faster while racing and cause bleeding.

cryptic1
04-09-2006, 04:03 PM
The switch is to be made after the Queen's Plate. They will use the
converted harness track until the resurfacing has been completed. There
will be anywhere from three to five turf races a day during the switchover,
and then there will be a couple of weeks minimum of no grass racing to let
the turf course recover for the big fall turf races. This is the plan as of
today, but subject to change as problems arise.

cryptic1

BIG49010
04-09-2006, 08:56 PM
They should just run on grass, screw the dirt, and cut back the number of days they run or the number of races so they don't kill the grass to bad. They could expand the field size to 20, wouldn't that make it fun.