PDA

View Full Version : Brother Derek

toetoe
04-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Easy winner, but it seems he didn't pull up well. Am I overreacting?

Ron
04-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't see how he can be the favorite in the Kentucky Derby.

stlseeeek
04-08-2006, 05:59 PM
he won't get the easy lead or gift trip in Derby.

1 1/4 is where this benchmark colt comes back to reality.

* but seeing Hendricks win the derby would be a great thing, guy has had some major health issues, and would be a great story. Wouldn't have a problem seeing him win.

PaceAdvantage
04-08-2006, 09:30 PM
I have to watch the race again, but my first reaction was that I didn't like the way he galloped out....but I wasn't paying attention to what Solis was doing after the wire, which is why I have to watch the race again....

kingfin66
04-08-2006, 09:40 PM

1 1/4 is where this benchmark colt comes back to reality.

I very respectfully disagree. Talent is talent and Brother Derek has IT. Yes, he had a nice trip, but his speed helped him with that a little bit. What impresses me is the very professional way in which he won the race and that final furlong in 12.61.

* but seeing Hendricks win the derby would be a great thing, guy has had some major health issues, and would be a great story. Wouldn't have a problem seeing him win.

I agree with you 100% here!

toetoe
04-08-2006, 10:11 PM
I liked everyrhing about it except that it SEEMED he pulled himself up abruptly. Some of that is the ralliers passing after the line, but he almost stopped. I'm still in doubt. Maybe Joe Takach can tell me. :confused:

Tom
04-09-2006, 12:06 AM
ALL horses can get a mile and a quarter - and a final furlong in 12 and change might be more impressive if he had shown speed early, too.
His fractions today would probably put him mid pack in the Derby. This race was not a good prep for what he will face in three weeks. A jog down 210 might have served him better.

kingfin66
04-09-2006, 12:22 AM
I don't know Tom. I have have to differ with you here. The fractions don't look that impressive, but he had the lead the lead awfully easily. I think, in fact I know, that he was plenty of speed. I hope people keep right on underestimating him.

I just went back and watched the race again. Solis had a stranglehold on that horse. If anything, Brother Derek is still very green and needs to learn how to be rated. IMHO, he could have gone much faster. Solis never hit him and what looked like an awkward pullup was actually Solis leaving lots in the tank for the next race. Solis looked over his shoulder, then just started easing Bro D up. That's how easy the victory was.

This is not spin. This is the reality of the race. Does it mean Bro D wins the Derby? Not necessarily, but he sure looks like a REAL contender to me.

Tom
04-09-2006, 01:21 AM
I hope he does go in the Derby - that insures a fast pace and good prices on others. :)

kingfin66
04-09-2006, 01:58 AM
We may have to make a side bet - a banana vs. a bottle of Talking Rain (lime flavor).

46zilzal
04-09-2006, 02:23 AM

Where I have heard thatr one before??: PSSST don't tell Spend A Buck, War Emblem, Sunny's Halo, Swale, Funny Cide or several others over the years. You can't tell until the race materailizes PERIOD.

kenwoodallpromos
04-09-2006, 03:23 AM
Who has wired the Derby lately?
This may be the year for big pasce surprises in the Ky Derby. Someone can beging doing the fraction figures if they wish. Hopefully CJ will let us see his like he did last year.
Hey CJ, who's got the best ROI so far? Giacomo had it prior last time!LOL!!

DrugSalvastore
04-09-2006, 06:38 AM
I have to watch the race again, but my first reaction was that I didn't like the way he galloped out....but I wasn't paying attention to what Solis was doing after the wire, which is why I have to watch the race again....

That kind of stuff can be overrated at this time.

A. P. Warrior galloped out about 8 lengths ahead of the field when he beat Point Determined and Bob And John last time out. While Point Determined shut down pretty quick after the wire.

In this race, PD was the one full of run after the wire.

cj
04-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Hey CJ, who's got the best ROI so far? Giacomo had it prior last time!LOL!!

Best ROI? What do you mean?

I have all the Derby Prep figures posted here (http://www.pacefigures.com/triplecrown06).

JustRalph
04-09-2006, 11:06 AM
nice page CJ. You gonna leave it up? or should I save it now.....?

Thanks

TravisVOX
04-09-2006, 11:12 AM
I think the bottom line is that race, though easily won, is not the type you want before the Derby. The roses takes a real super fit horse, battle tested etc. Why did Bob Baffert win all those Derbies? Cause he worked the crap out of his horses. I think this is why horses off the layoff don't win, simply not fit enough. Which is why I'm looking forwardt to playing against Barbaro and Derek.

cj
04-09-2006, 01:39 PM
nice page CJ. You gonna leave it up? or should I save it now.....?

Thanks

It will be up through the Belmont.

so.cal.fan
04-09-2006, 01:55 PM
We watched that race live yesterday at Santa Anita, this horse Brother Derek won very easily, jockey never got after him with the stick.....he looked good coming back to the winner's circle....looked sound to us.
I heard a few people say they weren't impressed, but more said they were (we are talking, horsemen type people).

PaceAdvantage
04-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Watched the race again and have to conclude it was Solis and not Brother Derek who was responsible for the lackluster gallop out....
I'm a little torn with this race. Yes it seemed too easy, and not the kind of thing you want leading up to the Derby. But then again, good horses have a habit of making stuff look easy.....

So, what were the speed figs on this one....final 3/8s in 36.79 ain't too shabby...

plainolebill
04-10-2006, 02:22 AM
108 beyer for Brother Derek

so.cal.fan
04-10-2006, 11:24 AM
I really hope this horse does well in the Derby.
His trainer, Dan Hendricks is a good guy. I hadn't seen him for a long time, he looks as though his accident has taken it's toll on him.....very sad to see.
It would be so wonderful for him and this horse to win another big one....the KY.
I don't follow three year olds....don't know if he can win or not....but I sure hope he does.
Racing needs STARS! I heard the public cheering for this horse, Brother Derek.....I know neighbors who are not really racing fans who watched this race on TV....rooting for Brother Derek and Dan. Don't know about the rest of the country....but here in So. Calif. these guys are stars.........we would love to see them become super-stars!
Go Brother Derek!

freehouse2002
04-10-2006, 02:27 PM
The crowd sure was happy at SA. There was a roar before, during, and after the race. There was a nice reception for the BD when he was coming back to the winners circle and he sure seemed to be soaking it up. I hope there are as many naysayers come derby day as I believe he is the real deal.

freehouse2002

Skanoochies
04-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Nice thoughts So. Cal Fan, I agree with those sentiments. :)

toetoe
04-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Even better, so-cal, would be a rivalry of two or three beasts, with fresh meat in the Preakness and Belmont.

the_fat_man
04-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Watched the race again and have to conclude it was Solis and not Brother Derek who was responsible for the lackluster gallop out....
I'm a little torn with this race. Yes it seemed too easy, and not the kind of thing you want leading up to the Derby. But then again, good horses have a habit of making stuff look easy.....

So, what were the speed figs on this one....final 3/8s in 36.79 ain't too shabby...

Expecting a wire job in the Derby, Boss?

46zilzal
04-10-2006, 11:29 PM
race was over at the 1/8th pole, why should the rider persist?

JustRalph
04-11-2006, 09:18 AM
I don't know what to think of Solis anymore. After he teamed up with Bailey to go after Smarty, I wonder what he could be talked into anymore...........and I really think he isn't the same after his injuries

Stevie Belmont
04-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Derek was not asked for his best, and was pulled up by Solis at the wire. Everyone thinks he will be on the front in the Derby, i'm not so sure, I think he might be able to sit off the pace. Will have to see post positions and all the other variables. Horse has talent.

Doc
04-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I have to say that my heart goes out to trainer Dan Hendricks...it will make a terrific "feel-good" story if Brother Derek were to win the Derby. I have been screwed too many times in the past betting Derby losers so I'll probably just toss a deuce on Derek's nose, sit back, chug a few beers, and hope he can get it done. Another trainer I have a lot of respect for is Michael Matz - if you can, read the story about how he saved those children from the burning plane some years back.

PaceAdvantage
04-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Nothing against Hendricks, but I'm tired of the "feel-good" Derby story year after year.....:lol:

Why does racing always have to have a "feel-good" story? I hardly ever read about a "feel-good" story in Football. Football is WAR. Racing should be the same way, at least once in a while....

Just once, I'd like to see a couple of trainers duke it out at the Post Position draw.....

Tom
04-11-2006, 06:28 PM
My idea of a feel good derby was when Ferdinand won - I had so damn much money in my pockets my pants fell down! I'm still betting off that score.
I felt good!

PA - trainers duking it out...that would be great!
We used to see that once in while at FL - couple of words flying at the track bar, then a couple of fists, then it was...pandimonium!:eek:
Broke up those long 35 minutes between races!

toetoe
04-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Feel-good in football: some poor schmuck gets paralyzed, and the same brutes that tried to take his head off start a prayer circle. Awww! :(

JustRalph
04-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Nothing against Hendricks, but I'm tired of the "feel-good" Derby story year after year.....:lol:

I told my wife right after BD won that we now have our first 30 minutes of Derby coverage locked up. Just once, cut the crap and do a story about racing or god forbid an in depth analysis of the road to the Derby etc. Nope.....we are gonna hear every detail of Hendricks accident........if he lets them do it...........hopefully he has better sense than that...........

toetoe
04-11-2006, 07:01 PM
He's rollin' now. :jump:

Doc
04-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Hate to disagree with you grizzled gamblers, but put yourself in Hendricks' shoes. You can't move from the waist down - maybe you even think your life is over. Then along comes a horse like Brother Derek. Sorry, but I think this story gives hope to every poor schmuck out there who may have a handicap, or to those to whom life has dealt some cruel blows.

Joe L.
04-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Hendricks isn't the only story that will get played up. Barbaro's trainer Mike Matz and his ordeal in the plane crash will get plenty of airtime as well. Gotta remember, horseplayers aren't the only ones watching network coverage Derby Day. Plenty of people only tune in for the Triple Crown races and these stories are for them. :cool:

JustRalph
04-11-2006, 10:41 PM
horseplayers aren't the only ones watching network coverage Derby Day. Plenty of people only tune in for the Triple Crown races and these stories are for them. :cool:

you are right..........they are called "the pool" :lol:

Observer
04-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Let's not forget, Smarty Jones's owner was in a wheelchair .. and had an oxygen tank, didn't he?

I don't think it's a bad thing to cover the connections .. tell about any hardships they've overcome to get where they are .. what's bad is when the coverage spends so much time with filler that they forget the essence of what they should be doing .. covering the race and it's participants. And that means knowing all the participants, in case a surprise happens. Heck, even when the favorite wins, they still have trouble .. remember back to Fusaichi (Foo-sah-eechee) Pegasus .. everyone struggled with that horse's name (and still do) .. that's ridiculous.

This past weekend .. for the Illinois Derby .. they did not go over ONE runner in the race. They spent their time talking about the other race .. then switched to Hawthorne, showed the list of the field with odds .. but didn't talk about ANYONE in there .. just ran the race.

As for Brother Derek pulling up .. that was his rider .. who eased him significantly before even crossing the wire .. which I hate. I'm not saying I want to see a horse being drilled to the wire .. but a horse should at least be ridden out. I hate when jockeys think they are doing their horses a favor by throttling down before crossing the line. To me .. it sends a wrong message to the horse .. especially a horse like Brother Derek, whose never really been challenged in the lane this year .. and will be going into the toughest test yet for a 3-year-old.

Niko
04-12-2006, 10:52 PM
The feel good stories are great for my parents, relatives and all the others who don't want to take a lot of time handicapping. Gets new players in the game and keeps casual fans interested, which is a very good thing. We need more of it.....Would be nice if there was a little more horsetalk though