PDA

View Full Version : South Park, Mohammed and Free Speech

lsbets
04-07-2006, 08:41 AM
When its at its best, South Park is one of the most brilliant shows ever. Last night, it was at its best.

The show centered around a controversy regarding an upcoming cartoon show (the Family Guy) with a guest appearance by the Prophet Mohammed. The townsfolk were in a panic, fearing riots from angry Muslims if a cartoon Mohammed were to be shown on TV. While the dialogue was funny as hell, the commentary on free speech and our willingness or lack thereof to defend it, was incredible. The episode ended with the following voice over:

"Will the people of America be safe? Will Fox let the Family Guy air? Will they show Mohammed Uncensored? Find out next week to see if Comedy Central pusses out."

The writers of Southpark have poked fun at everyone, especially every religion. Chances are, whatever appearance by Mohommed will be pretty benign and basically unoffensive. I thought one of the best lines was when they were discussing the controversy in school and the teacher said "So, we can't show images of Mohammed" One of the kids replied "No, Mulsims can't show images of Mohammed".

I wonder if Comedy Central will air next week's Southpark (I think they will). If you haven't seen this week's, watch it when it is on. There is also a great speech from one of the townsfolk as the town is debating whether or not to stick their heads in the sand because of the cartoon:

"Freedom of speech is at stake here, don't you all see? If anything, we should all make cartoons of Mohammed and show the terrorists and the extremists that we are all united in the belief that every person has a right to say what they want. Look people, it's been really easy for us to stand up for free speech lately. For the past few decades, we haven't had to risk anything to defend it. One of those times is right now. And if we aren't willing to risk what we have now, then we just believe in free speech, but won't defend it."

Its pretty sad that it takes a cartoon about foul mouthed fourth graders to articulate what the major media was unable to do during the cartoon riots.

Tom
04-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Hilarious show.
Those 4th graders have more on the ball than all of DC.

cj
04-07-2006, 06:00 PM
I love the Family Guy. They absolutely do not care who is offended on the show, and I think it is great. I can't wait to see the big controversy.

Observer
04-07-2006, 11:54 PM
It's funny how "kiddie" cartoons really push the boundaries of TV in ways regular shows don't and/or can't. (Don't mean South Park here .. I've never considered that a "kiddie" cartoon).

Many times while watching The Simpsons I'm surprised and wonder how it's a kid cartoon on during "family" hours.

Of course, I've caught a lot more from Bugs Bunny since I've grown up .. thinks that just flew over my head when I was an innocent young child.
:p :rolleyes: :D

lsbets
04-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Here is the rundown on part two of the South Park episode:

http://volokh.com/posts/1144900882.shtml

"Did Comedy Central censor tonight's episode of South Park? The answer would appear to be YES.

In Wednesday's episode, part II of "Cartoon Wars," Kyle (one of the boys of South Park) persuades the President of Fox TV to run a Family Guy episode with a short scene including Mohammed. Kyle lectures the head of FOX about the importance of free speech:

"You can't do what he wants just because he's the one threatening you with violence. . . .

Yes, people can get hurt. That's how terrorism works. But if you give in to that, Doug, you're allowing terrorism to work. . . .

Do the right thing, Mr. President. . . .

If you don't show Mohammed, then you've made a distinction between what is OK to make fun of and what isn't. Either it's all OK or none of it is. Do the right thing."

At the point in the South Park episode where Mohammed is about to be shown handing a football helmet (with a salmon on top of it) to the Family Guy, the screen shows these words:

"In this shot, Mohammed hands a football helmet to Family Guy."

The next screen shows these words:

"Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Mohammed on their network."

Tom
04-13-2006, 12:20 PM
I was extremey diappointed - CS saw fit to censor an innocent image of mahommed, yet they allowed them to show Jesus pooping on people.
Tah is not only total cowardice, but a slp in the face to Christians everywhere.
The people who run CS as hippocrites and I for one, am now boycotting all CS and their sponers. Hopefully, I can get something going here. I want an apology from CS for censoring noting and showing pure crap.

And South Park - that was the last time I ever watch that show. I hope Kyle gets aids!

Bubbles
04-13-2006, 03:21 PM
It's funny how "kiddie" cartoons really push the boundaries of TV in ways regular shows don't and/or can't. (Don't mean South Park here .. I've never considered that a "kiddie" cartoon).

Three words: Rocky. And. Bullwinkle.

Lucky enough to have gotten the first few seasons on DVD over the past few years. If you ever see it in stores, get it and let the kiddy/political humor sink in. It's BRILLIANT.

lsbets
04-13-2006, 04:30 PM
I find it a little ironic that Comedy Central had no problem letting the South Park guys show Jesus defecating on people, but wouldn't let them show Mohammed standing there. I guess offended Christians need to be more violent and they can get their way.

Observer
04-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Didn't the boys suggest something in last week's episode that if there was a censor .. it would be a slap in the faces of all the various religions and races who are mocked constantly? Obviously the whole story is South Park and Comedy Central, not Family Guy and FOX .. and obviously there are now people seriously offended!

Haven't seen Part II yet .. but I guess I got the idea.

As for Rocky & Bullwinkle ... was never a fan of them .. but maybe one night .. if they're on somewhere, I'll stop and check it out.

lsbets
04-13-2006, 11:29 PM
I read an article about the origins of this episode today, and it seems to have started about a month ago when Comedy Central told the South Park guys they couldn't do anything about Mohammed anymore (they had a cameo by Mohamed a few years ago). This came on the heals of Comedy Central pulling some segmants that spoofed Scientology because it offended Tom Cruise who was putting pressure on Paramount not to advertise Mission Impossible II if Comedy Central let South Park make fun of his religion (they also hit pretty hard at the rumors of his sexual preference). Also, Isaac Hayes quit his role as the voice of Chef because he did not like them making fun of Scientology (however, he had no problem with the wrestling match between Jesus and Satan, go figure).

Anyway, after they were told Mohommed was off limits, they decided to do the two part episode and see if Comedy Central would cave after being publicly challenged. Comedy Central stood by what they said and chose to not offend Muslims. On the other hand, Comedy Central has no problems with South Park's relentless jokes regarding Christianity and Judaism.

Personally I think South Park is usually funny as hell. The humor is sometimes brilliant and othertimes juvenile, but I don't get offended by humor. THere have been Christian groups and Jewish groups who have expressed outrage over previous South Park episodes, and Comedy Central has rightly said, too bad, its humor, if you don't like it, don't watch it. However, I am disappointed that Comedy Central sees fit to cave into economic pressure from Scientology (which I will admit I know very little about other than they believe we are all the offspring of some alien experiment and Tom Cruise won't let his wife have any pain medication during childbirth) and also sees fit to cave into the threat of violence from Musims. It does seem like the message is terrorism works, because the threat of Muslim riots has the execs at Comedy Central scared to death.

Observer
04-13-2006, 11:51 PM
... Comedy Central has no problems with South Park's relentless jokes regarding Christianity and Judaism. ...

Christianity and Judaism are just the tip of the iceberg!

And since you brought it up .. the episode when Chef "came back" was hilarious .. I loved how they took clips to get a dialogue.

But I think my favorite will always be when Cartman took on the roll of police officer!
:jump: :jump:

lsbets
04-14-2006, 12:01 AM
You will respect my authortie!

Tom
04-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Hands down - the first Mr. Hanky. Christmas poo!

Steve 'StatMan'
04-14-2006, 01:06 PM
I loved when the boys go to Afganistan, and Cartman takes on Osama Bin Laden ala the classic WWII-era Bugs Bunny/Warner Brothers cartoons. Laughed my fool ass off.

Also laughed my fool ass off to Mister Hanky #1, and esp. another Mister Hanky where they (paid homage/did a number on) Fred Astaire's Mailman character from another animated Christmas Special.

They've had the 'Jesus' character and have made fun of Christianity along with nearly everything they've tried to do. While I may get offended at times in the past, I learned as a child, as did most of us, not to take stupid and silly cartoon insults seriously. Someone wacked out may make a cartoon and say "Here, this is Mohammed", "Here, this is Jesus", "Here, this is your Mom", etc. but it's only a reflection on the person/turkey who created it, and isn't really Mohammed, Jesus, or one's Mom. A thick skin is important to have. Too bad much of the Muslim world can dish it out but can't take it.

Closing note to Osama Bin Laden: Yo' Mama is So Ugly, she has to wear two burkas in case the first one gets a hole in it!