PDA

View Full Version : Big black bear making himself at home.

twindouble
04-06-2006, 05:27 PM
This male is huge, biggest one I ever saw. My guess is well over 300 lbs. He raids the neighbors garbage drags it to my yard and chows down. The worst part is he trecks threw my yard to get there at different times of the day, late afternoon and after dark. I've seen him in the back, front and both sides of the house. This has been going on for a couple years now, we get feeling one of these days we'll walk right into him coming and going. :eek: We can bang on the windows, throw things in his direction but it don't bother him the least bit just turns and looks. We call the town, they send a cruiser, all he does is turn on his siren when comes up the drive, the bear leaves and so does the cop. Can't shoot the sucker, would get locked up or pay a stiff fine.

What would you do?

T.D.

lsbets
04-06-2006, 05:32 PM
You would get locked up if you shot a bear on your property? That's nuts.

The sherriff's department here would all be over my house for a barbeque!

twindouble
04-06-2006, 05:46 PM
You would get locked up if you shot a bear on your property? That's nuts.

The sherriff's department here would all be over my house for a barbeque!

Yea, I wouldn't be that dumb to shoot it, one of my neighbors maybe. :D

A friend of mine lost 5 of his 6 cats to coy dogs in his yard, couldn't shoot them either. The problem was, his house was like grand central station so the cats would scoot out at every opertunity.

Indulto
04-06-2006, 06:08 PM
What would you do?TD,
Grin and bear it.

Alternatively, you could get a business license to sell bear rugs, but that would just be a shot in the dark.;)

As the bear is black, I expect that a certain poster here will consider this thread to be racist.

fergie
04-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Talk about your catch 22. Guess they'll wait for it to get a child before any action. BTW is the coy dog you refer to the same as what we (down South) call a coyote?:confused:
fergie

twindouble
04-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Talk about your catch 22. Guess they'll wait for it to get a child before any action. BTW is the coy dog you refer to the same as what we (down South) call a coyote?:confused:
fergie

No it's mix of domestic dog and coyote. Ugly looking thing.

kenwoodallpromos
04-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Noise- keep loud noise going for a couple of nights.

fergie
04-07-2006, 07:40 AM
TD, I would consider building a tall fence around my house, and put an electric fence charger on the top, step it up real good so that it really gives him a serious jolt. You would have to use signage, of course. Alternatively, you could rent out rooms to people like me who have never seen a bear outside of the movies, or a zoo. I Know of a rancher down here who got written up in co-op magazine whose wife loved hummingbirds so much that people started coming over to his home to see them, (they had hudreds at a time). Ultimately, he had to build a separate facility for overnighters with lots of viewing windows for the guests to utilize. Makes more at this than he does at ranching. Who knew?
fergie

twindouble
04-07-2006, 09:22 AM
TD, I would consider building a tall fence around my house, and put an electric fence charger on the top, step it up real good so that it really gives him a serious jolt. You would have to use signage, of course. Alternatively, you could rent out rooms to people like me who have never seen a bear outside of the movies, or a zoo. I Know of a rancher down here who got written up in co-op magazine whose wife loved hummingbirds so much that people started coming over to his home to see them, (they had hudreds at a time). Ultimately, he had to build a separate facility for overnighters with lots of viewing windows for the guests to utilize. Makes more at this than he does at ranching. Who knew?
fergie

Well, that elect fence would have to go completely around the house, he comes from all directions. Would also need a gate system for us to get in and out, don't know what it cost because where I am can't dig for posts without hitting ledge. What gets me is if the neighbors just smarten up and not put their garbage outside that would solve the problem. Before I had a garbage disposal, I would put the garbage in cans freeze it until pick up day, plus it didn't draw any fly's. I suggested to the neighbors and they all said good idea but didn't follow through.

Black bears are normally shy of people but if cornered or a female with cubs could be dangerous, as a matter of fact a female with two cubs was roaming around last year, mid afternoon and kids were out of school. A friend of mine about 3 miles north of me ,had one break through his screen door while he was in his work shop in the basement, helped herself to donuts on the kitchen counter. The only way he could get it to leave was to hammer on the floor making a lot noise. He sent me pictures of that one with cubs in the yard.

Funny thing, when I was hunting them, never saw one in the woods or anywhere for that matter. Back in the early 60's I hung up the gun for good reason, was hunting in NY and bunch of drunks from took me for a deer and I was properly dressed, had to dive for trunk of tree. I had no clue they were there, about 6 of them started to drive the lower meadow and I was surrounded when the flushed out the deer. Haven't been in the woods sense, didn't need the meat anyway.

T.D.

Indulto
04-07-2006, 02:29 PM
TD,

The loud noise suggestion makes "Bear" sense. If your neighbors won't make things bearable for you, make it unbearable for them until they address the garbage issue. Don't use b-ear-plugs that barely work or you will start losing your bearings. It will be interesting to learn if there is any kind of noise that would prove unbearable to the "average" bear (Davy Crockett records?). Start investing in bearer bonds to finance relocation should all else fail. :lol:

lsbets
04-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Indulto - I could barely make it through that post.

Valuist
04-07-2006, 03:17 PM
I thought this was about Refrigerator Perry.

Indulto
04-07-2006, 03:36 PM
I thought this was about Refrigerator Perry.The Bear's expedition is more like that of Admiral Perry, but TD would prefer expeditious action. Hey, TD, if you can freeze the garbage, why not the bear?

betchatoo
04-07-2006, 04:28 PM
The Bear's expedition is more like that of Admiral Perry, but TD would prefer expeditious action. Hey, TD, if you can freeze the garbage, why not the bear?

The bear probably doesn't own a freezer

twindouble
04-07-2006, 04:30 PM
The Bear's expedition is more like that of Admiral Perry, but TD would prefer expeditious action. Hey, TD, if you can freeze the garbage, why not the bear?

The only thing that's going to Freeze is me if I run into that sucker some day. Does play dead really work? :faint:

T.D.

Indulto
04-07-2006, 05:48 PM
The bear probably doesn't own a freezer:lol:

B2,
I can see it now. Wearing a raccoon-skin cap and wielding a blunderbuss, TD confronts the bear and yells "Freeze, Sucker!" The bear turns white in shock and awe and is then immediately recruited for a Coca Cola commercial. It is given a pair of sunglasses as a signing bonus by a talent scout moonlighting as a garbage collector whose route services TD's neighbors with unfrozen garbage. But TD's troubles are not over, because the press camps out on his doorstep demanding the bear facts and an explanation for freezing his garbage.

twindouble
04-07-2006, 06:05 PM
:lol:

B2,
I can see it now. Wearing a raccoon-skin cap and wielding a blunderbuss, TD confronts the bear and yells "Freeze, Sucker!" The bear turns white in shock and awe and is then immediately recruited for a Coca Cola commercial. It is given a pair of sunglasses as a signing bonus by a talent scout moonlighting as a garbage collector whose route services TD's neighbors with unfrozen garbage. But TD's troubles are not over, because the press camps out on his doorstep demanding the bear facts and an explanation for freezing his garbage.

:lol: That's when the shot gun comes out. :mad:

betchatoo
04-07-2006, 07:25 PM
:lol:

But TD's troubles are not over, because the press camps out on his doorstep

Yes it won't be long before we see bear pictures of him in the Enquirer

DJofSD
04-07-2006, 08:00 PM
I think you need to start documenting every part of this problem -- video tape, sending letters to your neighbor certified, writing letters to the local officals, in general, build an air tight case that you've taken all the measures legally available to you. Then when the "accident" does finally happen you can take all parties to court and sue their asses off.

twindouble
04-07-2006, 09:08 PM
I think you need to start documenting every part of this problem -- video tape, sending letters to your neighbor certified, writing letters to the local officals, in general, build an air tight case that you've taken all the measures legally available to you. Then when the "accident" does finally happen you can take all parties to court and sue their asses off.

Yes, crossed my mind many times thinking some kid in the neighborhood getting malled or killed. I tell you what, after seeing the size of him close up if I had small kids I wouldn't let them outside unless I was standing next to them with a gun big enough to take him down. Did have a good talk with my next door neighbor, he's got two kids both under 5 and he's very much on guard now. Like I said this has been going on for a couple years now, many sightings so I would hope to think people are or will smarten up. Like anything else today we are limited when it comes to protecting ourselves, family and property.

T.D.

Tom
04-07-2006, 09:36 PM
TD....don't mess around - someone is going to get killed.
Get a lawyers, inform the local authorities - formally - and have them sign a document telling you you cannot shot the bear and assuming full responsibility for any damage dome by the bear.
They won't.

Then go shoot it next time you see it and stick to the story it attacked.
Some chicken shit sherrif is going to get you or your kid killed. Any fool that thinks a siren is going to scare a bear away permentantly should be fired.

Better yet......NUKE the sucker! :lol: ( the, BEAR, that is!)

twindouble
04-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Better yet......NUKE the sucker! :lol: ( the, BEAR, that is!)[/QUOTE]

:lol: I'm in tears. :lol:

DJofSD
04-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Hey, I thought it was NUKE the whales.

JustRalph
04-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Better yet......NUKE the sucker! :lol: ( the, BEAR, that is!)

That is right! Nuke the Sucker! He is a POS! :lol: