PDA

View Full Version : Romans/Guidry part ways

dutzman
04-05-2006, 05:28 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/73329.html

what do you all think of the split? I love Guidry as a rider. I love how he rides a horse down the stretch....never giving up on them. If Rene Douglas is going to be Romans' regular rider I expect Douglas to be a force on the Kentucky circuit.
Any opinions?

cnollfan
04-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Guidry is also one of my favorite riders. He doesn't try to fit square pegs into round holes. If he is riding a speed horse, he will do his best to get it to the front. If he is riding a closer, he will get it to relax and finish strongly.

I also like Douglas, but am a bit bewildered by how fast he went from the penthouse to the outhouse in California.

Jockeys and their agents are somewhat like marriages -- nobody on the outside really knows what goes on in there.

stlseeeek
04-05-2006, 09:54 PM
guidry to Douglas is an upgrade.

been watching Guidry ride for many years, i basically think he's a solid jockey, but when he struggles, he struggles mightly in reigns.

Everyone who watched and bet the illinois tracks think guidry could close with the best of them, but i think guidry was best on the lead. very underrated on the lead. he kept a little something in his horses for last 1/4. he knew where the wire was at all of the chitown tracks, noone could measure the wire with their rides like he could.

remember red letter day at Hawthorne, he won, 8 races? or something like that, all ill-bred stakes races.

toetoe
04-05-2006, 09:59 PM
So Guidry reins supreme, except when he doesn't?

BIG49010
04-06-2006, 12:41 PM
It didn't say who will take Guids book, anybody know?

Valuist
04-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Both guys had Dennis Cooper as their agent when they were winning the Arlington titles. Cooper had Bridgmohan last year and I think he may still have him. If Cooper stays with Bridgmohan, look for Douglas to ride the full CD meet. Guidry will ride CD but is coming back to Arlington after the 4th of July.

Donnie
04-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Is there a place on the Net a person could source to find Agent/Jockey info?
Thanks!

Steve 'StatMan'
04-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Is there a place on the Net a person could source to find Agent/Jockey info?
Thanks!

In IL, and perhaps elsewhere, that information is in the Condition Book. You can see it online at a number of tracks, including AP & HAW. In IL, it was in the back, last I remember.

One note - sometimes this information can be a little stale, as a change could occur, and not be updated for a book or two.