PDA

View Full Version : Round Pond unlikely for Apple Blossom

GlenninOhio
04-05-2006, 07:45 AM
When I read this I think either Servis has a hidden agenda or there's an issue with this filly he's not talking about or there's something personal between him and the Oaklawn racing secretary.

Surely it makes little sense on the surface - he wants 4 more pounds on Star Parade or he takes his bat and ball and goes home?

And while he's at it he wants Happy Ticket to be giving his filly a pound? Yes, I know he got some weight in their last hookup, but that was because the allowance conditions of the Azeri favored his filly, who came back in an allowance off her layoff while Happy Ticket came back in a restricted stakes with a decent pot.

(From Bris Bloodstock Journal)

Grade 1 winner ROUND POND (Awesome Again) will probably not run in Saturday's $500,000 Apple Blossom H. (G1) at Oaklawn Park, according to trainer John Servis, because of his dissatisfaction with the assigned weights.
Round Pond and HAPPY TICKET (Anet), who staged a thrilling duel in the recent Azeri Breeders' Cup S. (G3) before Round Pond won in a photo-finish, were rated as co-highweights at 119 pounds. California invader Star Parade (Arg) (Parade Marshal), coming off her second victory in the Santa Maria H. (G1), will carry 117 pounds.

"I'm not upset about Round Pond getting equal weight with Happy Ticket," Servis said, "but I'm really upset about having to give two pounds to Star Parade, who is a multiple Grade 1 winner, with faster Beyers, and we're spotting her weight? I'm not happy about it."

Servis said that, had he been weighting the Apple Blossom, he would have assigned Star Parade 121, Happy Ticket 120 and Round Pond 119.

"I'd say Round Pond's chances of making the race are 90-10 against," Servis said. "In fact, chances are we'll ship everything in the barn out Friday.

"The Apple Blossom has been our main goal with Round Pond for months, but as I said, this is a matter of principle," Servis added.

"I was really looking forward to the rematch with Round Pond," Happy Ticket's trainer, Andrew Leggio Jr. said. "I'll be really disappointed if it doesn't come off. Like everyone else, I want to see who's the best mare. These are two great mares. As for me, I'm pleased with the weights. I think they are fair. The two mares are equal in ability."

Other distaffers expected for the 1 1/16-mile contest are last year's Black Eyed Susan S. (G2) winner SPUN SUGAR (Awesome Again) and Azeri third-place finisher PLATINUM BALLET (Skip Away).

kroebuck67
04-05-2006, 10:59 AM
It's interesting that he would make as strong a statement that he would "ship everything in the barn out "... seeing as he's bought a house in Hot Springs.

cnollfan
04-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Servis said that, had he been weighting the Apple Blossom, he would have assigned Star Parade 121, Happy Ticket 120 and Round Pond 119.

Yeah, and when it's Eclipse Awards time, if it comes down to those three, Servis will say "Star Parade and Happy Ticket deserve the award more than Round Pond." Not!

GlenninOhio
04-06-2006, 08:03 AM
From 4/6 Bris Bloodstock Journal:

Ridiculous -- Why did John Servis raise a stink regarding weights in Saturday's Apple Blossom H. (G1)? He didn't just state his unhappiness, he slammed Oaklawn Park officials. If Servis couldn't live with ROUND POND's (A.P. Indy) assignment (a whopping 119 pounds), he could've bypassed the event without insult and everybody would've dealt with the situation. Instead, Servis went into a ridiculous diatribe about how STAR PARADE (Arg) (Parade Marshal) (who received 117 pounds) deserved more weight than Round Pond. That's fine if he believes it, but it doesn't make any sense to the rest of us because Star Parade isn't in the same class with Round Pond or HAPPY TICKET (Anet). Star Parade ended a nine-race losing streak recently, the other two are top contenders for this year's Eclipse Award. Oaklawn's racing secretary would've looked like an imbecile making Star Parade the highweight. Happy Ticket had to give Round Pond six pounds last time in the Azeri Breeders' Cup S. (G3). Did trainer Andrew Leggio Jr. ever complain or threaten not to run Happy Ticket? No, he handled the situation with class, much to the delight of Thoroughbred racing fans everywhere. Servis acted in a different manner this week, and we'll all feel cheated if Round Pond doesn't run Saturday.

SmartyParty
04-06-2006, 12:07 PM
John was upset because the racing sec didn't know that Star Parade had won a Grade I. But she's not going to run this Saturday. She has a cut in her mouth. John Servis was a class act during Smarty's ups and one down. He still is.