PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Rollins

Valuist
04-04-2006, 10:54 AM
The hit streak is now at 37 games. What's even more shocking is he only hit .290 last year despite getting hits in the final 36 games of the year. He's a lifetime .273 hitter so he has his work cut out for him. If he does end up passing Dimaggio, it will be very impressive, as it will encompass 2 seasons.

chickenhead
04-04-2006, 11:06 AM
unfortunately for him, if he does do it (which I'm sure he won't) it will have a mental asterisk next to it becuase of the split.

I wonder what he was hitting before the streak started? Like .260? That is pretty wild, but then again Pete Rose never had real high % but got to 44. All about putting the ball in play I guess.

Valuist
04-04-2006, 11:29 AM
I can't imagine why there would be an asterisk. IMO, its much tougher to do it w/a 6 month layoff. A guy gets in a groove, then has to shut it down for 1/2 a year.

But Maris had an asterisk, and one could argue he STILL should have the real season HR record.

chickenhead
04-04-2006, 12:34 PM
The split season would just be an excuse. Maris got one because he was not "worthy" of owning the Babes record, in the same way that Jimmy Rollins is not worthy of breaking the most hallowed record in baseball set by one of the crown princes back in the glory days.

Same is kind of true with Bonds this year, big hubbub about him breaking Ruths record of 714....last time I checked thats not a record anymore, but it always will be, because of who set it and how long it stood. 714 is more famous than 755.

Valuist
04-04-2006, 01:03 PM
The hubbub will be much bigger next year, when he gets close to Aaron's total. I really don't see the big deal about # 715 this year; you move from 3rd up to 2nd. Of course, I'm not out in the Bay area so I don't know what the media is like out there.

Who determines who's worthy and not worthy? If Rollins reaches 57 games, he's worthy, just as Maris was worthy. I believe the original reason for the asterisk was because they just started playing 162 games, whereas Ruth hit 60 in a 154 game season.

chickenhead
04-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Thats what they said, but I have a feeling if it was Mantle and not Maris, you wouldn't have seen an asterisk. Hey, its all speculation, and I'm not saying I agree with any of it, just trying to tap into how the collective mind works.

toetoe
04-04-2006, 04:17 PM
No asterix, not even an obelix.

Valuist
04-06-2006, 03:19 PM
This might be the day the streak ends. He's 3 for 23 lifetime against Marquis.

BetHorses!
04-06-2006, 11:40 PM
I can't imagine why there would be an asterisk. IMO, its much tougher to do it w/a 6 month layoff. A guy gets in a groove, then has to shut it down for 1/2 a year.

I agree but it seems we are in the minority. You can also add the cold April weather as a tough factor.

Valuist
04-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Its a moot point now.....