PDA

View Full Version : Dylan

surfdog89
04-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Dylan is on HBO... again............ the best songwriter of my generation along with Van Morrison....... wish the younger generation would get in this music.......
:cool:

chickenhead
04-04-2006, 12:13 AM
I'm going to see Bob live tomorrow night. He's getting kind of creepy now, but I'm trying to see all of the old guard I can before they're not around to be seen anymore. At 28 I guess I'm not really considered "younger" anymore (when the hell did that happen? I still feel young!) but I can tell you I expect I'll see a lot of young people at his concert tomorrow. Dylan's music will be around for a loong long time.

(and btw, (and don't take this the wrong way) why in the hell did you pick Crescent City to retire to?? Kind of a hole, isn't it?) If surfing is your gig you should have stopped your northern journey around Trinidad.

Murph
04-04-2006, 07:25 AM
"I wish that just for one time, you could stand inside my shoes,
Then you'd know what a drag it is to see you."

Bob Dylan

surfdog89
04-04-2006, 09:34 AM
I grew up in San Diiego then got a job managing the OTB's in Oregon and No Cal.... for Magna....the last six months i have been in mx..... Crescent City is not that bad in the spring and summer.... Socal has to many people..... I went to Del Mar when i was in my teens.... because I was raised in that area. Got hooked on racing....:cool: You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.... O mama is this the end to be stuck in Mobile with the Memphis blues again.....

twindouble
04-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Dylan is on HBO... again............ the best songwriter of my generation along with Van Morrison....... wish the younger generation would get in this music.......
:cool:

He was just a poet that can't sing worth the dam that tapped into the drug culture and the radical movements of his time. His so called music promoted the very thing that fulls up our prisons today. DRUGS. Like all others he takes no responsibly for it and says he had no control how people interpret his message. No different than the criminal that says he just went along for the ride and don't blame me for the body count. If you want to believe that, Barry Bonds did nothing wrong and deserves super star status and the all of fame.

T.D.

Murph
04-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Would you point to a specific reference to drugs that B.D. used in his poetical lyrics, TD? He males a valid a point concerning the outside interpretation of his poetry.

"The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind."

chickenhead
04-04-2006, 11:02 AM
A better question than why doesn't the younger generation get more into Dylan is why doesn't the younger generation produce it's own Dylan? God wouldn't that be refreshing.

Well, I try my best
To be just like I am,
But everybody wants you
To be just like them.
They sing while you slave and I just get bored.
I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more.

Turntime
04-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Twindouble:

I beg to differ that Dylan can't sing. No one has better timing, inflection or emotion in their voice. There is much more to singing than hitting notes.

twindouble
04-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Would you point to a specific reference to drugs that B.D. used in his poetical lyrics, TD? He males a valid a point concerning the outside interpretation of his poetry.

What I said was "he tapped into the drug culture and the radical movements of his time." His theme was anti social, anti establishment anti government, anti war. That in it's self played into the drug culture and his own drug use was well know and admitted to.

T.D.

Murph
04-04-2006, 12:06 PM
That's an interesting interpretation of his work TD. My kids sing some of his songs in church at Sunday School.

"How many time must a man fall down, before he can prove he's a man?"

JustRalph
04-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Twindouble:

I beg to differ that Dylan can't sing. No one has better timing, inflection or emotion in their voice. There is much more to singing than hitting notes.

But holding a note is a pretty damn important part, wouldn't you say?

Oh hell, throw away all that musical stuff written on the page........it's just a melody..........who needs it? God knows the Rappers don't.....and when they do, they steal it from someone else...... :lol:

Turntime
04-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Justralph:

Yes, it's an important part but not as important as being convincing, an area where Bob excelled. While not a "singer's singer", he was a damned good one nevertheless with a very unique style.

chickenhead
04-04-2006, 12:37 PM
of course Dylan wrote about what was going on around him....was he supposed to write about 19th century Victorian England? That's what artists do.

bettheoverlay
04-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Dylan never espoused causes except for a brief fling in the 60s civil rights marches. He's far more of a descriptive artist, he has always expressed, for me at least, what it feels like to be alive in this crazy world we have created.

His recent minor league baseball stadium tours are a wonder to behold, reworking old songs, introducing new ones with a jam band that roars into the night - "How Does It Feel?" There's always lots of young people at the concerts I've been to. After all, they are living in our great Corporate Paradise when the whole idea of Art has almost officially died, and Dylan must seem like a cool alien from another planet.

Or, as someone asked on another thread - why do college students have to waste their time studying Henrik Ibsen in our Brave New World? Indeed.

toetoe
04-04-2006, 07:58 PM
A songwriter can only write and mean anything for himself. Interpret it as you wish. That said, I've heard "Mr. Tambourine Man" is about an acid trip.

Better pop songwriters (U.S. only):

Laura Nyro
Kris Kristofferson

surfdog89
04-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Toetoe...... been listening to Allison Krause and Eastmountain South.......along with Doc Watson and one of my fav's Mississippi John Hurt........a record company found John Hurt in mississippi playing on a chair at a old Gas Station/store. He was in his early 60's....... no one knew this guitar picker... check this guy out.... one of the best guitar pickers in America...... Johnh pick cotton all of his life... and the record company signed him... on the spot. He recorded about three or four albums... passed away in his late 80's..... http://www.mindspring.com/~dennis/:cool: if that site does not work do a search for that cool cat... thanks

this might flyhttp://www.mindspring.com/~dennist/

twindouble
04-04-2006, 10:49 PM
of course Dylan wrote about what was going on around him....was he supposed to write about 19th century Victorian England? That's what artists do.

What was he doing at Wood Stock? Drinking soda and water to get high? Yea sure and Jimi Hendrix smoked cigarettes and popped jelly beans. No one can say he wasn't part of the drug culture. Further more he would have never made it as a poet just read the lyrics in the majority of his work, one would have to be tripping to make any sense of them. He claimed he saw himself and being separate from, not part of anything that was going on and his music is left for interpretation, like it was masterful poetry. :lol: He wrapped himself in tin foil and his drugged up followers saw it as gold. One verse that hit home would send those Wako's into a frizzy, "man that was way out". I'll follow you forever. :rolleyes:

When it comes to druggies, Hendrix had more talent in his little finger than Dylan has in his whole body.

T.D.

JustRalph
04-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Justralph:

Yes, it's an important part but not as important as being convincing, an area where Bob excelled. While not a "singer's singer", he was a damned good one nevertheless with a very unique style.

to each his own. I don't think he is as awful as some say.......but an aquired taste all the same.

Then again I hit redial 20 times tonight to vote for the "next american idol" I finally got sucked in........to voting..........

toetoe
04-04-2006, 11:37 PM
I remember when MJH was "discovered." The kids loved him.

surfdog89
04-04-2006, 11:56 PM
I started playing the guitar around 13..... I still play.... forty years later. You are right ..as a guitar player JH was and is the master ...... JH became the guitar... he was one....with then guitar. His gig at the Newport Jazz fest.... is still one of the alltime riffs a lifetime experience to watch .He is a master of scales, modes and improvisation.....the ability to improvise an endless stream of notes...... Castles made of sand.. Are you experienced.?.. Crosstown Traffic...the list goes on.....and on,,,

In my humble opinion, there is three players like JH..... Carlos Santana.... Eric Clapton.... Stevie Ray V............. still JH was and is the best guitar player that I have seen.........

Of course. Dylan was not a player in the vein of thoses greats...... but dylan is in my opinion couplied with Van Morrison are the two greatest songwriter in my generation... true poets....... Like T.S.Elliot or Jack K.... the beat generation poets... Can't compare player... with songwriters........ or poets...Read Allen Ginsberg who wrote a poem called HOWL.... if you have not read the poem... Please read....... The Wasteland.....Or read the poem the love song of Alfred J. Proofrock.....(mispelled i think...):jump:

I agree with you about the late and the great JH..........thanks for the thread... enjoy reading your opinions............surfdog:jump:

JustRalph
04-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Surf........what did Van Morrison write? I have always enjoyed his hits......but not familiar with his writing..........fill me in..........

Tom
04-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Brown Eyed girl. Moondance.
As part of Them iin the 60's, Here Comes the Night.

http://www.vanmorrison.co.uk/

surfdog89
04-05-2006, 12:24 AM
His first hit was Brown Eye Girl..." makin love behind the stadium with you.".... then releae GLORIDA.......G..L..O..R..I..D..A.... He was born in Belfast in 45... a element of Celtic music, improvised jazz and R&B in the states..... songs like Moondance, Tupelo Honey.... he has written over three hundred songs... this is just a quess. He discovered the Chiefains.. and Irish band .... Played with the Stones...the Beatles and Dylan too......... played with a number of great artist.............

In 98 he won a grammy for his work with John Lee Hooker ... Lately he has play with the lead singer of Dire Stires... Mark Knopkler.... A Great ablum is "Back on Top.".. listen to it... I have bearshare... it is free and you can download all songs and all artist........ yahoo....... hit bearshare.. it is a free file sharing program...I can go on and on about VM but........ get bearshare... and listen to VM.... it's been a long day here in mexico........... trhanks bro... later Michael

rastajenk
04-05-2006, 01:11 AM
I agree with you wholeheartedly, surfdog. Dylan is unique and important in a cultural timeline that goes back through Kerouac, Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie, John Steinbeck, and others. I don't think he pushed a cultural change as much as he chronicled it as it happened. And Van, well, he is simply the Man: for my money, the greatest male vocalist and song stylist ever. I feel privileged to have lived at the same time as both of them, and not have to appreciate them in retrospect like, say, Charlie Parker or Eddie Cochran, or even Bob Marley to a lesser extent (as I did not embrace the reggae vibrations while he lived).

I had some favorites in my formative years that haven't weathered well over the years, bands or individuals that I now look back on and wonder what kind of peer pressures there were that compelled me to like them then. But Bob and Van are not among them; they have always been strong. They and Neil Young are like the Holy Trinity of all-time respect and admiration. I think their sincerity and lack of pretense that usually goes with celebrity is a big part of that.

toetoe
04-05-2006, 01:31 AM
I thought JH stood for John Hurt. :blush: :D

Now it can be John Hooker, also a quarterhorse, by the way.

"Dog, have you no rhythm? No 'D' in Gloria! :bang: It ruins the syncopation, man.

Van gets credit for 'Into The Mystic,' no?

Laura Nyro:

'Wedding Bell Blues'
'Stone Soul Picnic'
'Eli's Comin''
'And When I Die'
'Save The Country'
'Stony End'

JohnNUtah
04-05-2006, 02:31 AM
What a topic.

John Prine and Steve Goodman quickly come to mind as major contributors. Hard to find songs with more depth than Sam Stone and City of New Orleans.

JustRalph
04-05-2006, 08:24 AM
What a topic.

John Prine and Steve Goodman

Now there is two I know. I knew most of the Van Morrison stuff actually, but thought there was more than just his hits.

John Prine........now that is a character.

Ponyplayr
04-05-2006, 10:37 AM

Queen Mary,she's my friend
yes I believe I'll go see her again.

Queen Mary= marijuana:cool:

chickenhead
04-05-2006, 11:00 AM
He sang a song last night, an older one but one I wasn't familiar with, sounded like he kept saying "won't you come see me, in a Korean Jail"

Korean Jail=Queen Jane

He put on a good show, great band. They threw everything at us, blues, rock n roll, even some swing. Had banjos and violins and electric slide...he looked pretty good from what I could see of him, was only 50 ft. away but the pot smoke was like a thick fog hanging in the room.