PDA

View Full Version : Firefox

Tom
04-03-2006, 08:07 PM
I switched over this weekend after hearing about the latest security hole in IE that MS will net even afddress untill 4-11!

My advice to anyone out there - DO IT!
Get rid of the inferiour, dangerous, sick joke of a browser IE once nad for all, before Bill Gate's great priduct line destroys your machine.
MS is just palin irresponsbile and using their browsers and email programs is like leaving your wallet on your front porch at night and wodering where your money went!

My browsing speed has increased noticable imeediately after I started using FF and no pop up at all. Not even PM windows at PA's unless tell it to go ahead!

Like the tabn options for windors...really neat.
One thing I can't make work - right licking on a link to a file to "Save as" - can't find out to make this work. Any suggestions?
Next step - thunderbird for email.

wonatthewire1
04-03-2006, 09:40 PM
it is a great browser...kicks the pants off of IE

with "save as" depends on what you are looking to save

with adobe files, go to the black icon on the upper right, click it and save to your desired folder

with photos choose "save image as" after clicking the right mouse button; the reason for this is that the files can be saved in a bunch of different formats with different KB or MB sizes (good if you are low on disk space but not really necessary with a memory stick or a DVD/CD burner for files)

the only net negative for me with FF is that 4NJBets won't allow windows media player to open to watch the races with FF, I have to use IE for that application to work but there are a lot of backup safety requirements to access an account so no problem so far

douglasw32
04-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Someday go a step further....

UBUNTU LINUX (http://www.ubuntu.com/) leave the whole microsoft world behind.

But have a back up windows machine to run infotran on ... lol

:)

michiken
04-03-2006, 11:03 PM
I switched over this weekend after hearing about the latest security hole in IE that MS will net even afddress untill 4-11!

[ ------ said in an evil, deep breathing, respirator-ish voice --------- ]

Tom, welcome to the DARK SIDE. What took you so long? Firefox is your father.....
[ /voice]

Tom
04-04-2006, 05:29 PM
then I go an find out YouBet will only work on IE.
Why does YouBet have the most complicated site around> Anyplace, you hit a button and get video, You Bet has rocket scientists setting up thier product.
:ThmbDown:

michiken
04-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Why does YouBet have the most complicated site around> Anyplace, you hit a button and get video, You Bet has rocket scientists setting up thier product.

This is why I dropped their service like a barrel over niagra falls.........

the_fat_man
04-04-2006, 06:33 PM
:ThmbDown:

In this day and age, if a site can be fully accessed only by MS/IE/RealPlayer,

the owners are basically telling you,

1) We really could give a shit about your security (personal info)

2) We really could give a shit about the state of your PC (bugs)

3) We either don't want to spend money for the extra work required to make our services accessible by multiple/'alternative' OSs or our tech staff lacks the competency to do so (in which case, why trust them with your personal info)

YouBet's been in my shithouse since the getgo.

RaceReplays might not offer the best service but
at least I can view the replays with RealPlayer

I wouldn't be caught dead with any 'upadated' version of MediaPlayer

every reinstall I've had to do is directly traceable to MediaPlayer upgrades.

P.S. ACTIVE X blows BIGTIME

ecaroff
04-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Well, I guess I'm in a minority but given a choice I will chose Microsoft everytime. Bill has made me a small fortune. Thank you Bill.

GO MSFT.

Tom
04-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Exploiting security holes for personal gain?

douglasw32
04-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Fixing them most likely :)

JohnNUtah
04-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Used to work for Bill and the Evil Empire, had enough of the bs with security. This new Firefox looks very nice and well behaved.

the_fat_man
04-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Fixing them most likely :)

'Fixing' the way docters cure: with each dose a new/different symptom appears.

Bala
04-06-2006, 01:03 AM
"then I go an find out YouBet will only work on IE....." ------------------------------------------------------------

I find firefox with all those plugins can be heavy on memory. I use and strongly
recommed Opera. {opera.com} It has the ability to mimic IE strings so that the
web site you are viewing thinks you are using IE. It will work on YouBet. And yes - it is very secure.

It is also free!

ecaroff
04-06-2006, 10:30 AM
People that complain about Microsoft are simply jealous. .