PDA

View Full Version : Questionable Email

Tom
03-29-2006, 09:38 PM
I got this suspicious email, supposedly from DRF, tonight. It is a red flag to me that any reputable companies would be using this type of verifying accounts, and why do they need to verify an account anyway if it is being used every day???
There are countless scams using bank, and this looks like one to me.

Anyone else get one of these? They want you to enter your user id and password at this link......another computer no-no.

I would report this to DRF but I don't speak Indian! :lol:

mainardi
03-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Good choice not to click directly on any links within an email!!!

Phishing is so common and so infuriating, that I delete them right away. In this case, what I would do is go directly to drf.com and sign in to your account. If there is anything to indicate that you need to update your personal information, at least you'll know that it's safer using this method. Sometimes you can hover you mouse over the link in the email and the actual web path will appear in the lower left hand corner of the email window. Many of the places that put out these phish-mails are in Eastern Europe, and it's hard to believe that this kind of thing can't be controlled better.

ratpack
03-29-2006, 11:11 PM
I get these all the time from Ebay, Paypal, Microsoft, they are all BOGUS.

Any legit company will always tell you to go to their website and log in.

Never follow a link from an email and give any personal info.

MONEY
03-29-2006, 11:46 PM
I hope you didn't click on the link to see what information they are trying to steal.

Key Logger Devices on the Rise.
We've been sharing information on key loggers for a few years now. Key logging devices are either embedded in software and sent by email in the form of viruses or are actual hardware devices attached to the back of computers. The embedded systems put them in the category of programs known as Trojan Horses. The hardware devices are attached to the back of computers to look like a standard piece of computer-related equipment. These fraud-enabling devices record every key stroke. Keylogging programs helped a gang of fraudsters in Brazil recently steal almost $5 million from 200 accounts at six banks. Another group of Russia-based fraudsters stole $1.1 million from personal bank accounts in France.

How can you protect yourself from these devices? First, be suspicious of unfamiliar weblinks sent to you through email. Next, make sure your antivirus programs are up-to-date. Last, don't forget to regularly download the latest software patches from Microsoft, if you use a PC.

turfbar
03-30-2006, 09:48 AM
i got one of those in the past,I think they just want you
to update your stable u probably haven't used in a while
don't think it's sinister good luck!

turfbar

RXB
03-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Tom, I got one of these messages a couple of years ago. It was legit. You can always call DRF to make sure, but I'm pretty certain that it's okay.

GaryG
03-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Tom, I am pretty sure it is legit. I have not gotten an email like that but I think I got that message when I tried to log on after purgung cookies.

SAL
03-30-2006, 10:46 AM
I think it's legit. I clicked it and got a message that my email was confirmed. No information was requested at all.

ratpack
03-30-2006, 12:13 PM
I think it's legit. I clicked it and got a message that my email was confirmed. No information was requested at all.

Links to confirm email addresses is OK. Like people have said in other posts where you get into trouble is when you get emails with links to follow and then they request personal info. That you should never do. :ThmbDown:

Tom
03-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Turns out it was real - nd they did ask for me to log in on the link ( I did not and will not)
It just another reason to stop doing business with a dinasour company - phising is a serious internet problem and I manintain no reputable comnpany will use this method - so bye bye DRF! :kiss:

michiken
03-30-2006, 08:32 PM
It will be a cold day in Tahiti before I allow drf to track me with their permanent cookies and all the other info they require to signup just to read the articles. If they are reading....

After all of us old fart users die, you will have no customers because your business model &*^%^&+#.

JackS
03-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Thats exactly the way my CC company was ripped of 16k. I replied to an MSN bullitin advising me that others were attempting to log on to my account and that I must immediatly update all info contained within the link.
The page was an exact replica of MSN.
Call DRF and inform them. I t might save someone from making the same mistake I made.

PaceAdvantage
03-31-2006, 12:27 AM
It will be a cold day in Tahiti before I allow drf to track me with their permanent cookies and all the other info they require to signup just to read the articles. If they are reading....

After all of us old fart users die, you will have no customers because your business model &*^%^&+#.

Welcome to the 21st century....

Indulto
03-31-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by michiken:

After all of us old fart users die, you will have no customers . . .I take it you still purchase the print edition.

If Marc-at-DRF is reading this, a few requests from this OF:

1) Make it possible for regular print edition purchasers to qualify for news-only subscription access (accept some number of printed proof of purchases for different dates), i.e., rebate your long-standing and AGED customers.
2) Arrange paging such that physical separation of pages for each track is facilitated and perforate all pages vertically. It’s really a pain to carry around all that extra paper!
3) Larger font-size for printed PPs wouldn’t hurt either.
4) Accept and facilitate payment for on-line services by other than credit/debit card. You already have marketing info from my free subscription.

KingChas
03-31-2006, 01:35 AM
I got this E-mail also believe it was legit.Just tried the new formulator 4.1 version.There is definately a problem with DRF's fonts.Perhaps they need to add a magnifying glass ala- :eek: Adobe Reader.Capped 3 tracks for Saturday and could use a seeing eye dog now!

Tom
03-31-2006, 11:29 AM
1 day until mandatory use of 4.1 and they are still having problems? :lol:

Better
Release an
Interim
Software program

cj
03-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Now I see if you are an unlimited PP account holder, you can't download them "too fast" or you have to enter what is on one of those funny pictures that take 5 minutes to decipher. Not a big deal, as you can't download file this way beginning Monday, but it seems odd. What is the big deal about using a program to download all your unlimited files instead of clicking on 30 links a day manually. Ever heard of carpal tunnel syndrome?

BRIS and TSN are doing the same with charts, so it isn't just DRF.

kitts
03-31-2006, 11:46 AM
I got 4.1 even though I use "basic" PP's. Works great. Much better layout getting more horses per page saving me as much as 1/3 in ink and paper. yay!

Lefty
03-31-2006, 12:02 PM
I get "phishing" e-mails all the time. It's a good idea never to answer a suspicious e-mail from a link within the e-mail. Never give important info to anybody in an e-mail you didn't initiate.

cj
03-31-2006, 12:05 PM
I got 4.1 even though I use "basic" PP's. Works great. Much better layout getting more horses per page saving me as much as 1/3 in ink and paper. yay!

You would have had to anyway. This is the only way to get files beginning Monday, even basic files.

I think the program is nice. It is a big improvement over the old Formulator as far as the things you can do with it.

Marc At DRF
03-31-2006, 03:19 PM
"I got this E-mail also believe it was legit.Just tried the new formulator 4.1 version.There is definately a problem with DRF's fonts.Perhaps they need to add a magnifying glass ala- Adobe Reader.Capped 3 tracks for Saturday and could use a seeing eye dog now!"

When you open a PP file, there a bunch of dropdown menus at the top of the page. Click on the one that says "view". then click on the option that says "display size" and choose "large".

"1) Make it possible for regular print edition purchasers to qualify for news-only subscription access (accept some number of printed proof of purchases for different dates), i.e., rebate your long-standing and AGED customers."

Yeah, Indulto, this is kinda a stretch. You've brought it up before... We have no way of doing an easy proof of purchase for something like this... Let me look into it some more, but I have to admit I haven't found a way to execute this.

"2) Arrange paging such that physical separation of pages for each track is facilitated and perforate all pages vertically. It’s really a pain to carry around all that extra paper!"

it's the reality of the print product. it's one reason that so many people I know get their PPs online from us or elsewhere. This will never be fixed in print. It would be incredibly expensive to do so.

"3) Larger font-size for printed PPs wouldn’t hurt either."

easy to do online (larger print font option in formulator, landscape printing in pdf). Indulto, you really seem like a guy who would be happier if you just bought your stuff online...

"4) Accept and facilitate payment for on-line services by other than credit/debit card. You already have marketing info from my free subscription. "

if you wanna pay some other way, sure, fine. e-mail cservice2@drf.com and they'll hook it up.

KingChas
03-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Marc, I had the view set to large.The problem was that scrolling down squished and smeared the numbers at times.I had to toggle sometimes to get the data clear.My eyesight isn't what it used to be.Would be helpful if DRF could set up the print at even larger fonts for some (user perogative).Other than the eye strain no complaints. Good Luck-KC

Indulto
04-01-2006, 12:29 AM
"1) Make it possible for regular print edition purchasers to qualify for news-only subscription access (accept some number of printed proof of purchases for different dates), i.e., rebate your long-standing and AGED customers."

Yeah, Indulto, this is kinda a stretch. You've brought it up before... We have no way of doing an easy proof of purchase for something like this... Let me look into it some more, but I have to admit I haven't found a way to execute this.

"2) Arrange paging such that physical separation of pages for each track is facilitated and perforate all pages vertically. It’s really a pain to carry around all that extra paper!"

it's the reality of the print product. it's one reason that so many people I know get their PPs online from us or elsewhere. This will never be fixed in print. It would be incredibly expensive to do so.

"3) Larger font-size for printed PPs wouldn’t hurt either."

easy to do online (larger print font option in formulator, landscape printing in pdf). Indulto, you really seem like a guy who would be happier if you just bought your stuff online...

"4) Accept and facilitate payment for on-line services by other than credit/debit card. You already have marketing info from my free subscription. "

if you wanna pay some other way, sure, fine. e-mail cservice2 @drf.com and they'll hook it up.Marc,

I want to make it clear from the onset that I am NOT a dissatisfied DRF customer, but rather one who finds the PPs useful and who prefers the reporting and commentary there to any other racing news source, on-line or print. I’m pleased that you remember me, but there is apparently some confusion regarding our previous communication in another on-line forum.

As you quite properly separate your personal and occupational views on other boards, I have had occasion to interact with you from both perspectives on one of those boards. My interaction with Marc the person was mutually respectful, even friendly.

Apparently your occupational self doesn’t view me in the same light and that has carried over to this board. We locked horns previously when you justifiably “advised” another poster on that other board not to quote DRF articles in full, and suggested using only the first paragraph. As I did here with PA, I questioned that restriction. As a result, both you and PA modified your respective policys to ones which were more flexible.

Perhaps you considered some of the other points for which I requested specificity as either trivial or disingenuous. I assure you that I was sincere and purposeful in doing so, but somehow the tone in both our subsequent responses became less cordial. In any event, I just reviewed that discussion, and it did not include any mention of anything related to eliminating delayed on-line access to all DRF columnists for free subscription holders who are also print edition purchasers.

It just occurred to me that clipping the upper portion of the front page including the date underneath the logo might verify multiple and regular purchases. Thank you for offering to look into it further and also for explaining why #2 is impractical.

As to #3, I doubt I would be happier using your on-line product. The free race-of-the-week PP printouts are too small for me to read comfortably or to annotate. When I look at it on-line through Acrobat, I need to magnify the view to the point where I can't see all the information I need simultaneously. Incidentally, while I applaud DRF for bolding the name of horses in the same race as an entrant, IMO it wastes italicizing on repeat winners rather than using it to identify opponents-in-common which is perhaps my most valued use of the Form’s PPs.

Never say never, but the time required to print all the pages I would use appears excessive (and probably too expensive), and wouldn't outweigh the convenience of just picking up the print edition minutes away and using a paper cutter (which I will now acquire). It's possible that landscape mode would be useful, but what about avoiding page overflow and enabling double-sided printing?

Regarding #4, several years ago, I visited DRF’s Gardena/Hawthorne, CA office to purchase on-line services directly. They very congenially explained they could not process such transactions there, but called both customer service and higher management in New York to get me an address for DRF Press in New York City where they assured me my personal check would be accepted to fund a trial on-line subscription to evaluate Formulator followed by a regular subscription of type to be determined. There would still be a delay after receipt until the check cleared. My certified letter was returned unopened as undeliverable. I could have pursued it further, but had too many other priorities at the time. These things happen, and I’m not upset about it, but I’ve always felt that it should have been possible to initiate the order and obtain a receipt at that office.

I hope that cleared things up and that we can resume less contentious interaction.

Thanks again for your response.
Indulto

Marc At DRF
04-01-2006, 08:59 AM
"Marc, I had the view set to large.The problem was that scrolling down squished and smeared the numbers at times.I had to toggle sometimes to get the data clear.My eyesight isn't what it used to be.Would be helpful if DRF could set up the print at even larger fonts for some (user perogative).Other than the eye strain no complaints."

Chas,

Bigger screen fonts won't help you. With 4.1, we spent a large amount of time and money on a process called double-buffering (as well as some other efforts of this nature) to eliminate some of the smearing you're talking about. There's an enormous amount of data on the screen, and what we've discovered is that if you have a reasonably new computer with a good graphics card in it, there's no problem. I purposely left a crappy graphics card in my machine at work, and though it's better than it was, it's not perfect. It's something that occurs during scrolling and obviously it doesn't affect print outs or anything... As for even bigger print fonts, we haven't had that request for for Formulator since we do offer bigger than normal print outs as an option. I'll see how hard it is to add this.

" In any event, I just reviewed that discussion, and it did not include any mention of anything related to eliminating delayed on-line access to all DRF columnists for free subscription holders who are also print edition purchasers."

Indulto, I'm pretty sure I've seen you make this request before without me commenting on it back to you at the time. I looked into it then and couldn't figure out an easy way to offer what you're looking for. So while we didn't "discuss" it previously, I'm pretty sure I've seen you mention it before.

"It just occurred to me that clipping the upper portion of the front page including the date underneath the logo might verify multiple and regular purchases."

Alternately, anyone who wanted to could simply find discarded DRFs at a racetrack or simo facility at the end of the day and clip away.

"As to #3, I doubt I would be happier using your on-line product. The free race-of-the-week PP printouts are too small for me to read comfortably or to annotate."

As you say, you've never printed via landscape.

"Never say never, but the time required to print all the pages I would use appears excessive (and probably too expensive),"

Since you are a devoted DRF customer, we don't even need to discuss the competition online, but the simple truth is, over the long haul, online PPs from any vendor are cheaper and more convenient than the print competition. If you've got a tired older computer and especially a tired old printer and you're on a dial-up connection, the hurdles are significant. But if you've got a relatively new PC, a laser printer, and a fast connection (we're looking at 2/3rds of the audience high speed connections this year), you're gonna save dough and a ton of time. The initial investment in time and $ will pay off pretty quickly, and you'll be much happier with online data than you seem currently... More on pricing: There are a few scenarios where our print product pricing is in competition with our online pricing and all in all it comes out about even. But if you're looking at, say, 10 cards a month on a total of 5 different occasions, that's something like $25 on the newsstand (or a bit less, depending on where you live) and $18.95 online. Throw in the toner and paper and it's still cheaper online... especially if you've got a new machine. Here we're talking about DRF's online pricing, but really my point is about online PPs in general. Absolutely cheaper and more flexible then the print competition, if you have a reasonably new machine...

"and wouldn't outweigh the convenience of just picking up the print edition minutes away and using a paper cutter"

You're describing a scenario in which you drive to pick up a newspaper and start using a paper cutter as "convenient". At this point, most of the people I regularly play the races with see the online version of this experience as far more convenient. Again, they've got newish machines, high speed access, etc...

"Regarding #4, several years ago, I visited DRF’s Gardena/Hawthorne, CA office to purchase on-line services directly."

Sorry about several years ago. I urge you to e-mail the fellows I suggested e-mailing and they will take care of you.

"I hope that cleared things up and that we can resume less contentious interaction."

I hope so, but I don't see this as contentious at all. My pleasure to help. Please don't read anything negative into it.

Tom
04-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Throw in another $10 is you wnat to read the articles when you get those 10 on line cards - they come as part of the printe edition but not with your small packages.

Indulto
04-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Marc,

Thanks for responding,

I was tickled by this exchange:

Originally posted by Indulto:

"It just occurred to me that clipping the upper portion of the front page including the date underneath the logo might verify multiple and regular purchases."
Originally posted by Marc At DRF:

Alternately, anyone who wanted to could simply find discarded DRFs at a racetrack or simo facility at the end of the day and clip away.
Apparently even the Form views horseplayers as degenerates. :D

You have to admit, that argument reeks of IRS disqualification of losing tickets to offset winnings.

From that perspective I assume even liquor store receipts would be unacceptable since we desperate degenerates would not be above begging regular customers to give them to us as likely as they are to also make purchases for the under-aged! :lol:

The racing industry has eliminated energy expenditure by horseplayers. “Don’t leave home without it” has become “Don’t leave home.” We can now obtain PPs, handicap, wager, and commiserate-- all on-line. On-track participation is obviated as overweight off-track players obstinately observe video offered by oppressive vendors.

I give up. The days of the anonymous hobbyist are indeed numbered. The appearance of a racing data purchase on your business credit card invites IRS scrutiny, while using your personal card might trigger spousal abuse. Participating in non-rebate rewards programs and promotions leads to increased junk mail at the very least, and soul-saving by anti-gambling fanatics at the very worst. Providing SSN to account wagering vendors in advance of any mandatory IRS reporting enables the matching of credit profile with allocation levels and results, not to mention behavior analysis. (Wait until those of nefarious intent obtain that information aggregate!) And of course giving SSN and CC# to racing video and/or data suppliers is just bending over for identity thieves.

Well, at least Andy’s columns are free even if Brad’s are not, and Crist’s appearance in weekend print editions cuts the delay to under 24 hours. Life’s not perfect, but what’s a privacy advocate to do? So don’t bother expending any more energy on my behalf, Marc. It occurred to me that if the Form identifies me, so would my legions of adversaries. What’s that you say – you already have? Damn those IP loggers! But what if a horseplaying poster were too degenerate to pay for his own PC and internet access? ;)
Originally posted by Marc At DRF(2):

. . . I don't see this as contentious at all. My pleasure to help. Please don't read anything negative into it.Right back atcha, fella.

Tom
04-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Now I see if you are an unlimited PP account holder, you can't download them "too fast" or you have to enter what is on one of those funny pictures that take 5 minutes to decipher. Not a big deal, as you can't download file this way beginning Monday, but it seems odd. What is the big deal about using a program to download all your unlimited files instead of clicking on 30 links a day manually. Ever heard of carpal tunnel syndrome?

BRIS and TSN are doing the same with charts, so it isn't just DRF.

Good ole DRF - customer oriented DRF...:lol:

I downloaded the charts for yeterday for 4 tracks - and had to dal with that stupid puzzle thing 4 times! Apparently, dowloading all the races on a card is too much for good ole customer orieted DRF. And even when you enter correctly, it doesn't work half the time.
Must be the powers that be at DRf like colored puzzles. What a slip shod outfit! Striclty minor league.

cj
04-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Good ole DRF - customer oriented DRF...:lol:

I downloaded the charts for yeterday for 4 tracks - and had to dal with that stupid puzzle thing 4 times! Apparently, dowloading all the races on a card is too much for good ole customer orieted DRF. And even when you enter correctly, it doesn't work half the time.
Must be the powers that be at DRf like colored puzzles. What a slip shod outfit! Striclty minor league.

It seems to be all the providers, so I'd blame Equibase.

Tom
04-02-2006, 05:41 PM
So far, only DRF has been annoying. BRIS has not changed at all for me, and I use a file grabber for charts.