PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Problem

speedking
03-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Not sure where to post this, but I could use some help if possible. I have a Sony laptop, P4 mobile 1.6 processor with a 40gig HD. 512K memory. I bought this at a computer show and the HD is separated into a C drive and D drive. C drive contained almost all files, but only has 6GB space. D drive is nearly empty and has 34 GB free. Moved what I could to the D drive, but cannot free up enough space on C. Is there any way to remove this partition so I only have a C drive? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

speedking

PA, please move to a more appropriate place if necessary. Thanks.

BIG49010
03-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Go to you local geek store or look on line for Partician Magic, you can change sizes of each drive.

speedking
03-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Go to you local geek store or look on line for Partician Magic, you can change sizes of each drive.

Thanks, Big. Much appreciated.

speedking

DJofSD
03-27-2006, 11:26 PM
speed, what big told you is perfect advice. But I'm curious to know why you need more room on the C: partition? What do you need to put there that can't go to the D: partition?

Paging
03-28-2006, 02:47 AM
Double check what ever partition software you’re looking at can actually move files that have been placed on your hard drive prior to installing the partition software - many have to be installed before you load anything other than the operating system.

There are many programs (i.e., McAfee Virus etc.) that don't give the option of installing on different drives and must be installed on the boot drive (in this case your C drive).

The best way to fix this problem is to reformat your hard drive and remove the partition. Unless you have a specific need for having a partitioned hard drive (ie., running multiple OS etc.) I would get rid of it.

Also, you may want to look into bumping up your RAM from 512k to 1 gig. You'll notice a huge improvement in performance of your machine.

tahoesid
03-28-2006, 03:14 AM
Partition Magic will work wonders if used correctly. You can use it to combine both partitions or make one larger and the other smaller depending on your needs. Just make sure you back up any data before playing with it. It can mess you up real badly.

for running XP , you shouldn't need more than 8-10 gig on the main partition, even with installing a whole bunch of programs. The optimum is to use the D: for data and c: for programs etc....This way if you need to reinstall OS you only need to reformat the main partition.

speedking
03-28-2006, 08:19 AM
speed, what big told you is perfect advice. But I'm curious to know why you need more room on the C: partition? What do you need to put there that can't go to the D: partition?

DJ, my big problem was the error messages which said the system was unstable due to under 200mb of free space on Drive C. I was down to 53mb. Last night I succeeded in freeing up 300mb, but I would like to have more of a cushion. I can't seem to move anything else over without receiving a message that moving that file or program might interfere with the operation of other programs. I trecently had a serious problem with an adware/virus program called Spyfalcon which really screwed up my machine. Now I'm upgrading all defenses and yesterday bought Spysweeper for spyware and Bitdefender 9 as anti-virus protection. Any other suggestions along these lines would also be welcome.

Thanks for all the great advice, guys. I'll pick-up or download Partition Magic today.

speedking

exactajack
03-28-2006, 09:05 AM
I agree with Paging. Get a copy of xp, reformat your hard drive and install it. This way you'll have a clean running machine with no stuff from the manufacturer clogging it up.

DJofSD
03-28-2006, 09:07 AM
speed, that's a good reason.

You can delete all the files in your temporary folder. Run under Accessories/ System Tools the Disk clean up program. Select on the More Options, System Restore/Clean Up.

speedking
03-28-2006, 09:52 AM
speed, that's a good reason.

You can delete all the files in your temporary folder. Run under Accessories/ System Tools the Disk clean up program. Select on the More Options, System Restore/Clean Up.

Did all that this morning. Up to 650mb free space. Thanks

Exactajack, never reformatted a HD before and don't have a backup copy of XP. Hate to go out and buy a copy at this point, but I'll try to borrow a disc. Thanks for the advice.

speedking

headhawg
03-28-2006, 10:13 AM
speed,

A clean install wouold be best, but be careful of borrowing someone else's XP CD. M$ uses product activation, and unless you get a corporate version or know...uh...a "work around", you will only have 30 days use.

Give Partition Magic a shot, though.

HH

speedking
03-28-2006, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE=headhawg]speed,

A clean install wouold be best, but be careful of borrowing someone else's XP CD. M$ uses product activation, and unless you get a corporate version or know...uh...a "work around", you will only have 30 days use.

Thanks for the advice, Headhawg. I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure. Don't think I'll go that route.

speedking

azmike
03-28-2006, 07:08 PM
I have a similar situation. Somehow I partitioned my HD into a C and D drive. I would rather have everything on the C drive with no partition.

Is my best bet to purchase Partition Magic and combine C and D into only C? Also, will it work since I did not have Partition Magic installed prior to my unintentional partition.

Thanks for your help

linrom1
03-28-2006, 07:58 PM
I have a similar situation. Somehow I partitioned my HD into a C and D drive. I would rather have everything on the C drive with no partition.

Is my best bet to purchase Partition Magic and combine C and D into only C? Also, will it work since I did not have Partition Magic installed prior to my unintentional partition.

Thanks for your help

It's always better to have two partions rather than one. The main boot partiton should have the operating system while all you data should be safely stored on the other. If you need to reformat, update or delete your OS, you can do it without affecting your data.