PDA

View Full Version : Daily New Shafts Racing Fans Too

bobphilo
03-26-2006, 08:56 PM
The New York Daily News. NY's largest paper once known for it's racing coverage, decided to give the entire day of The Dubai World Cup racing all of a a 1 inch announcement of the order of finish of the last race. First it's ESPN, now the Daily News. Racing fans are now the official Rodney Dangerfield's of the sports world. No respect.

Bob

kenwoodallpromos
03-26-2006, 09:42 PM
They need to earn it! What other sport does the Daily report on at all where the results do not show a score or relative rating for all participants for a single event?
The only reason there is even an order of finish is because of the purse size.
Please attach a copy of your protest to this thread after you send it to the sports editor.
No commercial media outlet is going to waste space if the interest is not there for races that run before noon, USA time.

bobphilo
03-26-2006, 11:58 PM
I would think that what are argueably the most important races in the world with horses shipping from all over the planet, including the US, with purses double to even the Breeder's Cup races has earned it's share of respect. The fact that it was run Sat morning gives them all the more time to have it in the Sun edition. This race will have Horse of the Year implications for the American horses at least and rated at least some kind of article as opposed to a partial mini boxscore.
This snub can only mean the paper doesn't give a damn about the sport, as does the ESPN treatment of it's racing shows.

Bob

saratoga guy
03-27-2006, 12:18 AM
ESPN blew it -- but I can't agree about the NY Daily News. They probably give us much, or more coverage to racing on a daily basis than the majority of newspapers.

I would guess that if there was some "name" horse from the US running in Dubai it might have garnered more attention -- but that just wasn't the case this year...

kenwoodallpromos
03-27-2006, 04:24 AM
Looks they give NY racing stories!

Suff
03-27-2006, 04:43 AM
stupid question?

Did the DRF take colors out?

I was looking at a PULPIT filly in the 7th at Gulfstream and I could'nt find if she was black or not?

Did DRF take horses coat colors out of the form?

Zman179
03-27-2006, 08:05 PM
The NY Daily News has many articles every week in regards to horse racing. Believe me, I read it every day.

Considering that March Madness is in full bloom, baseball spring training is in high gear, the New York Rangers are doing great and the soap opera that is the New York Knicks, the Dubai World Cup really had no importance in the realm of New York sports. It didn't even register as a blip, it was a non-event. A typical New Yorker could care less about some arab horse race. :sleeping:

samyn on the green
03-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Any reference to Arabs must include a bombing or some sort of violence or it is not deemed kosher. No way is Mortimer Zuckman going to show Arabs and their Dubai World Cup in a positive light.

Ron
03-27-2006, 11:56 PM
The New York Daily News. NY's largest paper once known for it's racing coverage, decided to give the entire day of The Dubai World Cup racing all of a a 1 inch announcement of the order of finish of the last race. First it's ESPN, now the Daily News. Racing fans are now the official Rodney Dangerfield's of the sports world. No respect.

Bob

Did they really shaft racing fans? I don't get my racing news from The New York Daily News.