PDA

View Full Version : Fred Seitz

Valuist
03-25-2006, 11:12 AM
About a month ago, Drugs started a thread about a Seitz horse named Ann Harris. The horse had run twice, then switched surfaces back to dirt and came in at something like 60-1.

Guess who's back? Not Ann Harris but Seitz again with another 3rd time starter switching surfaces in the 6th at GP today. Chosen Words has run twice vs open Mdns, including on grass last time out and now drops all the way to M16. The horse is listed at 15-1 in the program so this could be a live longshot. Interesting enough, Seitz has a runner in the 8th at GP today who has run exactly three times. What happened in its 3rd start? The horse switched surfaces and came in at almost 15-1.

Can lightning strike a third time?

Figman
03-25-2006, 11:32 AM
From the NYRA archives of August 2005.
Brookdale owner Seitz has first success as trainer

Brookdale Farm owner Fred Seitz saddled his first winner as a trainer on Friday, sending May Night and jockey Robby Albarado to a one-length victory in the P. G. Johnson Stakes at Saratoga Race Course.

"I knew P. G. [Johnson] fairly well," Seitz said. "I had a very close friend who was always a good friend of his. I liked P. G. He was very kind to me and always had a nice word to say. Winning this race was special, and being there with his family was more special."

Seitz has been raising horses in Central Kentucky since 1974. Beginning as a farm manager, Seitz worked for Fasig-Tipton for two years before going out on his own and leasing the land that would become Brookdale in 1983.

Seitz has saddled six starters this season, the first since his brief stint as a conditioner in 1979.

"It's very affirming and a great deal of fun," Seitz said of his choice to focus on training. "I have no doubt in my mind I'll be doing this until the day I die. It's probably what I was supposed to be doing all along."