PDA

View Full Version : Ky. bill would raise takeout

twindouble
03-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Check it out on the DRF.:mad:

Valuist
03-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Supposedly it will only be for 3 years. Of course we know that could easily get extended. Jocks get paid well. Nobody is making them ride horses for a living. The article said the takeout increase was the only way the riders would agree.

Remember when the riders boycotted at Churchill? Guess what, the meet didn't stop. Did the riding quality fall off that much? It wasn't exactly like using Double A baseball players to play in the majors.

ryesteve
03-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Supposedly it will only be for 3 years.
Wasn't income tax supposed to just be temporary also? :)

the little guy
03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
The good news, if you read Matt's article, is that it is unlikely to pass the legislature.

However.....

This is a total f'n disgrace. What exactly aren't we supposed to pay for in racing? I mean, honestly, we already pay the jockeys by funding the purses! Now we should pay more to cover their insurance? Perhaps we can clean their houses on dark days.

And people wonder why horseplayers hate jockeys. they have a LOT of nerve.

twindouble
03-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Someone here do the math. Lets say a track drops the take takeout an average for all pools of 8% taking into account what their handle in on the average for a week. First what would be their loss? Second, how much of that money would you venture to say would be put back though the windows and how much would it take to make up that 8% plus a profit? Thanks,

T.D.

Tom
03-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Wasn't income tax supposed to just be temporary also? :)

And the NYS Thruway tolls.
The only thing that is ever permenant is some group of greedy little sob's will have thier hands out. Perhaps with a higher take out, jocvkey might be persuaded to explain more than a few questionable rides on thier parts?

cj
03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
I'd rather have monkeys ride then give those guys one more cent. Once again, it is screw the hand that feeds you. Luckily, it probably won't pass...this time. This from the same state that doesn't have enough vets to drug test.

lsbets
03-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Can we get those robot jockeys from the camel races? They couldn't screw up races anymore than the humans do.

twindouble
03-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Where did all the number crunching people go? Anyway here the handle for Aqu for Thurs. Can anyone decipher the letters? I assume the first figure is handle at the track. The ISW and ITW must internet State, and internet Wire out of State.

I never paid any attention to those figures. I also assume these total are prior to takeout.

Aqueduct Attendance:2074 Mutuel Pool:$407,203 ITW Mutuel Pool: $1,805,938 ISW Mutuel Pool: $3,857,492

Thanks,

T.D.

DrugSalvastore
03-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Remember when the riders boycotted at Churchill? Guess what, the meet didn't stop. Did the riding quality fall off that much? It wasn't exactly like using Double A baseball players to play in the majors.

I'm totally in agreement.

Dr. Carter
03-23-2006, 10:11 PM
The biggest joke about the whole pinhead guild situation is that they are supposedly stone cold broke and cant pay the debts owed to the disabled riders, etc. but if you read any of the stories about the KY workmans comp situation you read quotes from their lobbyist !!! Think he works pro bono? They got rid of the chief crook but the current leadership was there when Dr. G was robbing them and all of them except Eddie King drank the Koolaid. The biggest mistake made in racing was the states that set them up with workmans comp coverage without them contributing. It gives legs to their argument that someone else should pay for their coverage. Each individual jockey works for himself. Why should owners, racetracks or bettors pay to cover them? If you own a store in a shopping mall does the mall pay for your workmans comp coverage? Do you charge your customers a workmans comp fee? No you pay for it just like you pay any other business expense, out of income. If you are a jockey and cant afford the coverage, then you need to reconsider your career choice. Taxing the bettor is just the first step in these guys plan. They are quietly working on a way for the jockeys to extort more money from simulcast wagers. Simpleton politicians may wind up giving these guys the keys to the bus. Scary.

kenwoodallpromos
03-23-2006, 10:47 PM
1% of the mutuasl pool is $40k per day. I sure hope the injured jockeys get TVG and HRTV in their hospital rooms with that!
If they REALLY want to fund it, have the tracks use the current breakage for the fund!

twindouble
03-23-2006, 11:08 PM
1% of the mutuasl pool is $40k per day. I sure hope the injured jockeys get TVG and HRTV in their hospital rooms with that!
If they REALLY want to fund it, have the tracks use the current breakage for the fund!

Thanks, I was going to back into that but I didn't know if the figures I posted were after takeout or before. Plus I wanted to estimate what effect a drop of 8% in takeout would have on handle. Also my feeling is, that 1% would have more of a negative effect than a decrease in takeout. I'm saying 8% drop on an average of all pools.

T.D.

toetoe
03-24-2006, 10:56 AM
A little sensitivity toward the munchkin race, please. :D

Another permanent/"temporary" gouge: money for building every bridge I've ever heard of.

Zman179
03-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Where did all the number crunching people go? Anyway here the handle for Aqu for Thurs. Can anyone decipher the letters? I assume the first figure is handle at the track. The ISW and ITW must internet State, and internet Wire out of State.

I never paid any attention to those figures. I also assume these total are prior to takeout.

Aqueduct Attendance:2074 Mutuel Pool:$407,203 ITW Mutuel Pool: $1,805,938 ISW Mutuel Pool: $3,857,492

Thanks,

T.D.

ITW - Inter-Track Wagering (monies wagered at racetracks and OTB's within the State of New York)
ISW - Interstate Wagering (all other wagering)

Bets made on the internet, including those made on computers in New York State, are considered ISW bets as they are routed via hubs in Oregon and Maine.

twindouble
03-24-2006, 07:54 PM
ITW - Inter-Track Wagering (monies wagered at racetracks and OTB's within the State of New York)
ISW - Interstate Wagering (all other wagering)

Bets made on the internet, including those made on computers in New York State, are considered ISW bets as they are routed via hubs in Oregon and Maine.

Thanks Zman, was I right to think it's the gross handle prior to takeout?

T.D.