PDA

View Full Version : Betting coup opportunity

highnote
03-21-2006, 12:54 AM
The Kentucky Horse Racing Authority will no longer require lip tattoos for European horses. How hard would it be to switch a chip from one horse to another and pull off a betting coup? At least with tattoos, the marking is semi-permanent.

Anyone know much about chip implants for identification?

DJofSD
03-21-2006, 01:05 AM
They've been using chip implants in dogs and other breeds of horses (arabs) for a long time.

A gun like RF device is used and it works by emitting a signal to which the chip responds by broadcasting the ID info (a transponder).

GameTheory
03-21-2006, 03:13 AM
I bet within 20 years they'll be implanting those into paroled felons. Then, someone will want to implant them into potential criminals, or petty criminals. And then they'll implant them in everyone so they won't be tempted to become a criminal, or a non-patriot, or whatever.

Sorry, just in a Orwellian mood today...

highnote
03-21-2006, 03:16 AM
So let's say you have a champion racehorse with a chip implant.

You go to a foreign country where horses don't have tattoos and buy a horse that looks like your champion horse and bring it to the U.S. You remove the chip from your champion and implant it into the cheap foreign horse and then kill the foreign horse and collect a large insurance policy.

Next, you register your cheap horse and get a chip implant for it. Then you enter your champion into a few cheap maiden or allowance races, but stiff it so that it loses every time. Then you enter it into a cheap race that it can't lose and bet a fortune on it to win and at the same time bet it to lose on the betting exchanges.

Something like that happened with a champion with a tattoo and a foreign horse that was imported that did not have a tattoo. What is to stop something like that from happening with chip implants? It seems like it would be even easier.

highnote
03-21-2006, 03:22 AM
I bet within 20 years they'll be implanting those into paroled felons. Then, someone will want to implant them into potential criminals, or petty criminals. And then they'll implant them in everyone so they won't be tempted to become a criminal, or a non-patriot, or whatever.

Sorry, just in a Orwellian mood today...

I remember being a kid in high school and some other kids who were born-again Christians at some fundamental church were going around trying to convert other kids by saying when we all have these computer chip implants it will be a sign of the apocalypse. That was 30 years ago and here we are --people are already starting to get implants for security purposes. Hey, maybe those born-agains were right?

Do bar codes on cereal boxes count as a sign of the apocalypse?

toetoe
03-21-2006, 05:49 AM
What's the reasoning behind betting against on betfair, e.g.?

highnote
03-21-2006, 12:04 PM
What's the reasoning behind betting against on betfair, e.g.?

None. I made a 3 o'clock in the morning mental mistake. :D The horse is supposed to win for fun, so you wouldn't want to bet against.

Although, if you could bet it at a high price in pari-mutuel pools and bet against at a lower price on the betting exchanges, you could construct a risk-free hedge.

toetoe
03-21-2006, 12:39 PM
That makes sense. :ThmbUp: However, I've always dreaded laying bets, because without laying the whole field, I could be risking a ton to make very little.

highnote
03-21-2006, 01:03 PM
On occasion, I have layed a short priced favorite. So the risk was not so great.

turfbar
03-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Whats all the fuss just bribe or "own" the horse identifyer
like was done at Fort Erie a few short years ago, and ya know what I still
see that guy lurking around the paddock at Fort Erie?

Turfbar

toetoe
03-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Good ID, turf. I suggest a branding, and I don't mean as in "brought to you by Yum Yum Tree," or "Kentucky Fried Derby" or whatever it is. I'm guessing you fingered him (EW! Sorry) based on those little things on the insides of the knees. What do you call those?