View Full Version : Trevor Denman

BeatTheChalk
03-20-2006, 05:13 PM
I have heard this guy for OVER 20 Years ! ( Gasp ) Each year he tries to
pack more information into the call of the race. I swear .. the call of the
San Vicente was insane. I just had to turn it off ! Of course I dont want
to wish for anything...because we might get theee hideous horrid guy with
the hideous horrid Stone bad English bloke bad part of London way of
speaking...ryte mayte...tally ho....and all that rot. Dont get me started :bang:

blind squirrel
03-20-2006, 05:40 PM
you gotta be kidding,he's one of the best race callers
in the world....i have to listen to MIKE BATTAGLIA in
KY.

Dave Schwartz
03-20-2006, 05:41 PM
There is just no accounting for taste.

I find him to be the absolute best ever.

Classic Trevor...
"If you put your money on number nine, take your ticket and stand on-line."
... with the 9-horse on a 10-length lead entering the stretch.

I would far more appreciate that than "Spinning out of the turn..." or "Three of them across the track."

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

GaryG
03-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Trevor calls the races like a horseman. When he tells you one is full of run it nearly always is right there at the wire. You get a very accurate description of not only what is happening but what is about to happen. I will always remember how colorful Joe Hernandez was but Trevor is the best.

toetoe
03-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Chalkster,

By "the English guy" you don't mean Michael Wrona, do you? He's better than Trevah. Trevah can always retire and do "color" or replay shows and excel.

blind squirrel
03-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Chalkster,

By "the English guy" you don't mean Michael Wrona, do you? He's better than Trevah. Trevah can always retire and do "color" or replay shows and excel.

WRONA is an AUSSIE mate,and TREVOR is from
SOUTH AFRICA.

DJofSD
03-20-2006, 07:56 PM
I believe Michael Wrona is an Aussy. He's got a great turn of phrase and likely could tell stories better than an Irishman.

Trevor is absolutely amazing. He can spot a horse's move so quickly at times that I wonder if he doesn't know in advance who's going to win the race.

surfdog89
03-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Trevor is THE BEST.............. close your eyes and he spins a beautiful picture of a ancient contest of horses........ Get a grip....... you are "movinglikeawinner"

toetoe
03-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Blnd Sqrrel (no 'i,' get it?),

*I* know 'e's a bleed'n' Strine, I do. That doesn't negate the possibility that Chalkboard was referring to him as being English. Come to think of it, I can't name one Englishman calling races stateside. There are Commonwealth guys at Sunland and Mountaineer, but no Brits that I know.

BlueShoe
03-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Have mixed feelings about TD.When it comes to describing the race flow and saying who is
moving into contention and will be a threat,and who is not,he is an absolute master.On the
other hand,his editorializing,"moving like a winner","if youve got your money on X be first in
line",etc. can be irritating.(Sorry for the format sloppiness,when previewed it looks okay,and
I cant seem to fix it).

DJofSD
03-20-2006, 10:02 PM
On the other hand,his editorializing,"moving like a winner","if youve got your money on X be first in

Only if your on the wrong horse. :)

mainardi
03-20-2006, 10:55 PM
FYI... I started a "Denman vs. Durkin" poll elsewhere in this General Racing Discussion forum... it's your chance to bash/praise away. :)

Art P
03-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Trevor is the best hands down . No one is even close

Tom
03-20-2006, 11:55 PM
you gotta be kidding,he's one of the best race callers
in the world....i have to listen to MIKE BATTAGLIA in
KY.

He sounds just like Judge Harry Stone (Night Court). I get a kick out of him.:D

GaryG
03-21-2006, 10:20 AM
I have to think they keep Battaglia around out of respect for his father. John B was a great man and the driving force in Latonia's rise from the ashes.

ratpack
03-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Don't forget he was the one who changed the way races were called. Everyone use to call the race the way it was listed in the Charts, Trevor felt that was no help to the bettor at the track so he changed it to the Past Preformance style.

racingrev
03-22-2006, 04:31 AM
Don't forget he was the one who changed the way races were called. Everyone use to call the race the way it was listed in the Charts, Trevor felt that was no help to the bettor at the track so he changed it to the Past Preformance style.

Chris...

Can you explain that????

How can anyone call a race as it is listed in the charts.

Keeping in mind I'm an Aussie living in New Zealand....

Cheers. :eek:

Sailwolf
03-22-2006, 04:42 AM
I believe Michael Wrona is an Aussy. He's got a great turn of phrase and likely could tell stories better than an Irishman.

Trevor is absolutely amazing. He can spot a horse's move so quickly at times that I wonder if he doesn't know in advance who's going to win the race.

I love listening to Wrona. Professional and entertaining

JohnNUtah
03-22-2006, 05:28 AM
I like about all of the race callers listed. Maybe because I watch the race very closely myself and judge my own selections chances. When they are looking good I ignore the caller entirely. When they are out of it and my money is up in smoke, I love hearing a colorful race caller. These guys who are the subject of this thread are all very enjoyable at that point.

ratpack
03-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Chris...

Can you explain that????

How can anyone call a race as it is listed in the charts.

Keeping in mind I'm an Aussie living in New Zealand....

Cheers. :eek:

I think I remember this right, so someone can correct me

The Leader would be the Leader by X lengths then they would call 2nd horse by X lengths to the 3rd horse by X lengths to the 4th horse.