PDA

View Full Version : A good cause

OTM Al
03-20-2006, 12:57 PM
So last Friday was my birthday...39 for the first time....and I got a very nice present that I'd like to tell everyone about. I was given one "share" in Ogygian who is living out his retirement at the Old Friends farm in Kentucky. It was only $100 and probably doesn't buy a whole lot for him, but the people who work at this farm are very nice. My gf said they insisted she pick him because he had the same birthday. I hope to go visit him and give him a carrot and maybe a scratch on the nose when I head down that way for the Breeders Cup this year. You can check out the farm at

http://www.oldfriendsequine.com/

There are many other farms and foundations out there as well that do wonderful work looking out after retired race horses and I encourage everyone to send a little money along to one of them now and again....a way of saying thanks when you have a good day at the track. The horses at this farm had pretty good careers in breeding or racing, but there are also plenty out there who simply helped fill weekday cards who could use a little help too.

surfdog89
03-20-2006, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=OTM Al]So last Friday was my birthday...39 for the first time....] Happy Birthday many more to come........ surfdog.........

GaryG
03-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks Al, I am going to do the same right now. Best cause I can think of..:jump:

Wiley
03-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Very nice OTM Al. What a great gift from your girlfriend. Read about Taylor's Special amazing recovery and trip to Old Friends last year, need to look into buying a share of him, used to love to watch him run at the Fairgrounds, might have some old programs of him to send down there as well. Thanks and Happy 39th!

tholl
03-20-2006, 08:42 PM
So last Friday was my birthday...39 for the first time....and I got a very nice present that I'd like to tell everyone about.

Many best wishes on your birthday and many congrats on your receiving such a great present.

I live within walking distance of Old Friends and know Michael Blowen well. I will say that not only is this is a great cause, but also that with Keeneland coming up there are few better ways to spend a Saturday morning before a day at the track than being entertained by Blowen and his horses. All are welcome, 'shareholders' or not, the more's the merrier, and believe me whoever shows up will not be disappointed.

Tom
03-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Happy birthday, and hang onto the "gf." ;)

GaryG
03-21-2006, 10:22 AM
I am now a "sponsor" of Creator....have to go visit him soon! :jump: