PDA

View Full Version : Off off topic / dogs

BIG RED
03-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Thought I would ask about this here. I know there are a lot of dog owners and maybe vets or trainers. I have had and been among dogs, freinds, all my life. But something weird is going on with a new 'buddy'.

I noticed last fall when weather was good, taking this dog on walks, he started to peek at the sun. He's a small dog (Yorky), so with the bitter cold weather we get here, he doesn't get out much for long walks during the winter. He does get cold, even with his outfits she puts on him. Now that the weather is breaking, he gets out more and more. He loves to lie on the deck now and absorb that sun.
This is the weird part. Out of all the dogs I've known, I've never seen this. He intentionally stares at the sun? He keeps looking til it bothers him, then looks away, then looks back? He even gets scared of it (tail between legs and runs 'away'). Don't get me wrong. He loves the sun, with the warmth it brings, and I was hopeing he forgot about it. Have you ever seen this, or heard of it? I haven't. And are there any ideas to help this lad to knock this off? Really, it worries me, he looks at it til it hurts.
thx

Ponyplayr
03-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Sounds like the dog found some kid's stash of LSD!

Just play Purple Haze and let him chill

Dave Schwartz
03-20-2006, 01:36 PM
"...but Momma, that's where the fun is."

While I am certainly no expert on dogs, I try to remember that, dogs can have phobias and behavioral quirks just like people. What caused this? Maybe he was frightened by some bright light and he sees the sun as a threat that must be watched. (Who knows?)

My dear old friend, Butkus, who we put down at almost 14 early this year, developed a phobia about going outside.

We had another dog - Jake - who we had rescued from a shelter. He just had too many destructive issues to get around and we found him another adoption. So, one day, Jake goes out the back door and never comes back.

Butkus was so traumatized that he would not go into the back yard alone for about 6 months. ("Bad things happen in the back yard. I'm staying away from there.")

Funny thing was that he had no problem going out the front door.

Good luck with your dog. (Sunglasses?)

Dave

BIG RED
03-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Sounds like the dog found some kid's stash of LSD!

Just play Purple Haze and let him chill

I didn't know you have met Macka :D

BIG RED
03-20-2006, 01:47 PM
"...but Momma, that's where the fun is."

While I am certainly no expert on dogs, I try to remember that, dogs can have phobias and behavioral quirks just like people. What caused this? Maybe he was frightened by some bright light and he sees the sun as a threat that must be watched. (Who knows?)

My dear old friend, Butkus, who we put down at almost 14 early this year, developed a phobia about going outside.

We had another dog - Jake - who we had rescued from a shelter. He just had too many destructive issues to get around and we found him another adoption. So, one day, Jake goes out the back door and never comes back.

Butkus was so traumatized that he would not go into the back yard alone for about 6 months. ("Bad things happen in the back yard. I'm staying away from there.")

Funny thing was that he had no problem going out the front door.

Good luck with your dog. (Sunglasses?)

Dave

She bought this dog as a pup (with papers/good lines what I heard too). This dog has a 'dog's life'. He just turned 3 this Feb. No abuse whatsoever. Phobia, could be, that's why I put this out. It is really starting to appear as a problem, atleast I think so. Haven't mentioned it to her yet as a concern, otherwise she would run right to a vet and pay thru the nose for nothing, more than likely.

blind squirrel
03-20-2006, 03:47 PM
when my dogs{border collie,aussie shepherd mix}where engaging
in a destructive,or annoying behavior i had one trick that really
helped.
i'd get a planters mixed nut can,put some coins in the can and
the second the dog started the "bad behavior" i'd shake the can
at the dog....seemed to work best when i didn't speak.
if that doesn't work it looks like you"ll be buying some "DOGGLES"!